Forum Service Issues and Updates

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't know what else to do. Not sure how many times I have to explain this.

If someone else wants it, feel free to PM me.

Wasn’t having a go, but surely it’s better to know when people have issues? I wasn’t expecting you to just flick a switch like.

Just blame the host and get them to sort it.

I'm on here myself, I know when its slow.

It's not the host's problem, we have more than enough capacity available. It's the combination of platforms and the fact everyone refreshes like mad (something the forum software isn't designed for) that makes things difficult.

It's not the host's problem, we have more than enough capacity available. It's the combination of platforms and the fact everyone refreshes like mad (something the forum software isn't designed for) that makes things difficult.

What’s changed over the last few months then? More users? What’s the backend DB?

Last few months, nothing. We moved host at the start of the year which meant starting nearly everything from scratch. Surely you didn't miss all that?

It's a MySQL database.

Don’t get so defensive, i’m trying to help :-D

Sorry. I just genuinely don't know what I'm doing. Literally all of it was Googled.

I’m happy to try and help; know nothing about SMF as such but can certainly look at any database issues as a sql dba. I know we had to do a fair amount of performance tweaking on toontastic back in the day, albeit a different platform.

I’ll PM you in the next few days mate.

You got any monitoring stats Dave? Is memory peaking at any point? You say we have capacity, is that server load or RAM?

From the issues we've been having at work,  sounds to me like a bit of an inefficient db querieing. Especially if lots of requests are killng it a little. And the issue with the boards on the app.

I've asked a couple of lads from work just now. Very little to go on but I'll see what they say.

I'd genuinely have to go back through all the notes I made to answer your questions. :lol:

One of the biggest problems is the sheer size of the database, so yeah it's probably to do with how that is set up.

The best thing would be for someone who knows what they're on about to get access to everything, and do some digging. Everything coming through me would be laughably basic.

Clicking on the title of somebody's post (i.e. the hyperlink to that specific post) effectively serves the same purpose as refreshing. If everybody did that - instead of pushing F5 or clicking the refresh button on the browser - would it bypass the problems that come with folks endlessly and constantly refreshing pages? And, if so, can you send out a PM to all users asking em to try to remember to do that, as a favour?