Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he played really well in his anchor man/3rd centre back role. 

As I was saying in the Dummett thread.  Games like that where we barely see the ball, really suit players like him and Dummett.  Not yet good enough at this level to try and do too much with the ball at feet.  I'm not sure either will ever get there.  But solid players for a team like us at the minute.

Guest Howaythetoon

From what I saw yesterday he made vital interceptions and clearances in a role that obviously isn’t his role so he did well in that sense, but as a footballer he’s a bit of a nothing player really. He’s not a bad player, just no outstanding attributes to make him worth more than what he is as a regular. He will have a decent career in the Championship or lower level of the PL for someone, but we have to improve on him and most others (you don’t say...) eventually.

Think he's judged harshly bearing in mind its his first season at this level in a team that is collectively not good enough.

Personally think he's done alright and will build on it.

Aye he's young and very raw, far too soon to write him off yet.

Think he's judged harshly bearing in mind its his first season at this level in a team that is collectively not good enough.

Aye he's young and very raw, far too soon to write him off yet.

He's 2 seasons in to his career. One full one in the Championship with us, half a one with Hull and half a one in the prem this season. He's doing well tbh, nothing spectacular but anyone expecting anything more than what he's shown is mental.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Compared to Jenas for example who came in and bossed an away derby in his first start at 18 years old. I know his fee was probably the equivalent of £17m or something, but still. I don't see him being anything near that quality.

Jenas was an attacking midfielder until he was a few years in then decided to start passing backwards and sideways (an 18-20 year old Jenas was his peak for me) That type of player is always going to have a bigger impact, especially the way we played football back then.

Jenas also had the luxury of playing in an incredible team.

Agreed. Plenty there worth persevering with IMO.

I can see him developing into a vital versatile squad player, and in this day and age of rotation and big squads, a player like Hayden is gold dust. If and it's a fairly big if, if he can progress as a footballer, he's got the right manager to guide him and he seems very willing to listen and learn.

As a Newcastle fan it's nice to like a player for once, knowing he's not come here to use us as a stepping stone to get a move somewhere else.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Compared to Jenas for example who came in and bossed an away derby in his first start at 18 years old. I know his fee was probably the equivalent of £17m or something, but still. I don't see him being anything near that quality.

At a time when we were going for a Champions League spot. Totally daft comparison, especially seeing as they play totally different roles.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's too slow in possession, gets dispossessed too easily, not the best passer beyond 10 yards...I just don't see him being anything other than a poor Premier League/Championship player.

He's too slow in possession, gets dispossessed too easily, not the best passer beyond 10 yards...I just don't see him being anything other than a poor Premier League/Championship player.

Luckily that's our club, so he will fit right in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...