Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

Closing down, tackles, interceptions, closing off space. All things Shelvey isn't good at.  We don't concede many and he's contributed imo. 

He's becoming a major problem with the ball though. Takes too long to make his sideway pass.

Oh come on, he's nothing on the ball, off the ball he's no Dave McReery, I mean he gives little defensively or ging forward.

Thought he was better than i've seen him in the first half. In the second half his inability to pass it forward became infuriating. Wouldn't drop him for Shelvey any time soon though.

Really?

We are playing Liverpool next. They play with 3 CM's that can run, pass and close him down hard. He'll struggle majorly imo.

Yet his own defensive ability will bring a lot in such a game when we expect to be on the back foot. Finding the criticism of him way OTT.

I generally like him and think yesterday was one of his weaker showings.

I mentioned in the match thread that he was heavily taped up from the off so he's perhaps not 100%.

He just needs to impose himself a bit more on games, like Merino, with more aggression.

He's certainly got the potential to play at this level effectively though. Don't doubt that.

Thought we looked a lot better when he was replaced by Shelvey.

Brighton were sitting back massively at that point which allowed Shelvey more space.  Had we started with the two of them it would have been a different story imo.

Thought he was better than i've seen him in the first half. In the second half his inability to pass it forward became infuriating. Wouldn't drop him for Shelvey any time soon though.

Really?

We are playing Liverpool next. They play with 3 CM's that can run, pass and close him down hard. He'll struggle majorly imo.

Yet his own defensive ability will bring a lot in such a game when we expect to be on the back foot. Finding the criticism of him way OTT.

He as in Shelvey. I just said I would not drop Hayden next week. Defensively he's good and keeps us competitive in games. With Shelvey I fear being over-run.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

I've got a lot of time for Hayden like. I know there's the running joke about him being down injured in every match, but whether it's low pain threshold or just putting it on he's still a brave player and he has a lot about him to appreciate.