Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Guest thenorthumbrian

If Dummett put in the kind of displays MYM or Colo have and gotten away with little criticism from - he would be slaughtered.

Dummett has palyed well recently, he just sets out to defend and has done it well.

Without talking about his limited ability with a football, which I'm sure even the most stout Dummett fan would admit, can anyone name a "bad" game he's had, or absolutely massive fuck-up he's made directing in a goal against?

I'm coming up with the Sunderland away game, his first league start, where Fletcher bossed him for the opener. That's about it, really.

I said this last season and I'll say it again: there are players who are far more culpable, who are far more experienced, and they get nowhere near the amount of stick that this fella does when things aren't going so well.

Bang on. But weak minded people need their whipping boys and their love interests. It'll never change.

If they watch a young defender who defends consistently well and conclude he isn't 'that good', they're really not worth your rationalisation or anyone else's.

More leeway because he's local. Historically that's always been the case on here, like. :lol:

On here without a doubt leeway goes to foreign players who are out of the team, Marveaux, MYM and Santon are the recent beneficiaries who come to mind.

100 % spot on.

All of who, are better with the ball at the feet/more creative than their peers/replacements. That's the (valid) criticism, not because they are foreign. Dummett needs an extended run at CB. That's his future. If he can play as a full back once in blue moon too then so be it.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I hated Andy Carroll and I can't stand Adam Armstrong! It's utter nonsense and incredibly childish to suggest that it's for any other reason than their football ability.

On here without a doubt leeway goes to foreign players who are out of the team, Marveaux, MYM and Santon are the recent beneficiaries who come to mind.

100 % spot on.

All of who, are better with the ball at the feet/more creative than their peers/replacements. That's the (valid) criticism, not because they are foreign. Dummett needs an extended run at CB. That's his future. If he can play as a full back once in blue moon too then so be it.

The way people went on about Marveaux was like we had Messi sitting on the bench. He would get a nice assist once or twice a season and then meander about the pitch the rest of the time not giving a shit. Add to that he was beyond shite everytime he played on the wing.

Look, I hate Pardew with all my blood, but Marv was a marginal, luxury player who was simply not cut out to play 90 mins at this level.

It's a similar thing now with Santon, when Haidara/Dummett put in below average performances at LB (Southampton game in particular), we see posts proclaiming Santon as some sort of saviour, which he is not. 

But it's a perfectly valid opinion to think that both Haidara and Santon are better LBs than Dummett.  It's nothing at all to do with nationality.  I can't understand why you would think anyone would unfavourably judge a local player because they are local.  It's completely nonsensical.

But it's a perfectly valid opinion to think that both Haidara and Santon are better LBs than Dummett.  It's nothing at all to do with nationality.  I can't understand why you would think anyone would unfavourably judge a local player because they are local.  It's completely nonsensical.

I don't disagree with you they they are both more talented footballers than Dummett, but there is a 'grass is always greener' tendency to remember absent players as being much better than they actually are.

Marveux is a more direct player than colback/Anita or Tiote, who, all of different nationalities are not as direct or/positive with the ball. It's about what people want from certain positions and jack buggery to do with local or not. On the flip side, look at the frenzy there is when we have a local number 9; even though it shouldn't and doesn't really matter.

But it's a perfectly valid opinion to think that both Haidara and Santon are better LBs than Dummett. 

It's probably worth considering that Dummett's the best defender of the 3 and has more goals for NUFC than the other two combined in their entire careers.

But it's a perfectly valid opinion to think that both Haidara and Santon are better LBs than Dummett. 

It's probably worth considering that Dummett's the best defender of the 3 and has more goals for NUFC than the other two combined in their entire careers.

It is worth considering. So are the counter-arguments. CB please. He can still chip in with a header.

Guest optimistic nit

Pardew seems to like him so everybody hates him, that's it really.

He's a fine, average Premiership standard defender. The next Steven Taylor. (Hopefully sans injuries)

Really don't see how you can say this after he's played only half a dozen games for us. Looked solid when I've seen him play and he doesn't seem to have Steven Taylor's kamakazee streak. Who knows how he'll develop but personally I'm quite excited to see how he does this season as we have conceded significantly less goals since he was moved to centre back, and I don't think thats a coincidence (although Williamson being dropped has been part of it).

I can't stand him at fullback as he has no attacking instincts or footballing ability. At centre back though he looks much more comfortable as he can just defend and nothing else. Full back is a hell of a lot more than a defensive position and Dummett doesn't have the ability to play there. It's got nothing to do with where he's from.