Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

I don't even know what you're debating here. He's had a good run of defending in a side that's been winning for once, that's it. He still hoofs a lot, therefore he's no good in my eyes until he stops that.

"If that's his biggest weakness he'll be our starting CB for a long time."

Isn't that hard to understand right?

Bit of a weird opinion, like, KI. Man U and Chelsea dominated the PL for 7 season while semi-frequently 'hoofing' it. It's hardly a major issue that one defender defends consistently well and hits it long under pressure.

yeh as a fullback youd want him to be more composed on the ball, but as a centre half its not as much as an issue if hes partnered with a Colo or Mbiwa type.

Guest firetotheworks

Bit of a weird opinion, like, KI. Man U and Chelsea dominated the PL for 7 season while semi-frequently 'hoofing' it. It's hardly a major issue that one defender defends consistently well and hits it long under pressure.

He hits it long when he isn't, he hits it long a lot, that's a major issue. He's done well so far defensively in what? 6 games? That doesn't make him excellent nor does it call for that hyped up sentence from TCD.

My original point was about someone comparing him with Puyol ffs, a mainstay in arguably the best passing team of all time.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't even know what you're debating here. He's had a good run of defending in a side that's been winning for once, that's it. He still hoofs a lot, therefore he's no good in my eyes until he stops that.

"If that's his biggest weakness he'll be our starting CB for a long time."

Isn't that hard to understand right?

It's based on nowt. :lol:

He hits it long when he isn't, he hits it long a lot, that's a major issue. He's done well so far defensively in what? 6 games? That doesn't make him excellent nor does it call for that hyped up sentence from TCD.

My original point was about someone comparing him with Puyol ffs, a mainstay in arguably the best passing team of all time.

12 games, not 6.

In fact, he's played about 30 games for us as a defender and never really looked like a poor one since breaking through. I think the hoofing nonsense comes from those who wrongly wrote him off wanting to save face a bit.

Guest firetotheworks

12 games, not 6.

In fact, he's played about 30 games for us as a defender and never really looked like a poor one since breaking through. I think the hoofing nonsense comes from those who wrongly wrote him off wanting to save face a bit.

I disagree and I can argue a point without you referring to me in the collective third person and creating a reason for my opinion other than that I've watched him, don't rate him and think that he hoofs it a lot. I'd be the first to say if I was wrong about a player, I've done it a few times. I don't see anything in Dummett to suggest that it's anything more than good form, in a team in good form, he's still a basic player that offers little other than being average at defending.

Hes a poor left back in my opinion, apart from the odd game hes always looked bad there but since moving into the CB position he really does look like hes found his calling and that's the only position he should play going forward.

Providing his performances continue to be good him and Colo should be the CB pairing and Haidara should remain in the LB position no matter what, hes class and seems to be forgotten about due to Dummett, Abeid, Sammy, Perez etc... doing so well.

Yeah, he looks a lot better in the centre.  Keep him there with Colo and that gives us 4 CBs, 2 LBs and 1 RB (suppose vurn can cover that spot if he's finished playing hide and seek with Chucky)。  Not bad all told, especially if we can trade in bantz and / or Willo for someone better in January.

KI you are criticising Dummett for the sake of it. You are desperate to criticise him and as such you've gone the hoof angle - which shows how good he's actually been at defending as a CB.

He's always been pretty solid at FB except against Navas who horribly exposed his lack of athleticism. But at CB he's  been very solid. Shown the ability to sniff out danger, puts his body on the line and is very committed without going all Saylor. And he's like a magnet to an aerial ball.

Defensively speaking he's impressed me more than MYM ever did as CB for us during this little run.

He's improved greatly. He's never a left back. I still don't think he's good enough, long term, for the PL.

I have my concerns too. You feel like he's playing at 100% of his capability. Winning pretty much every key tackle and header he commits.

Hats off to him for playing like his NUFC CB career has depended on it.

He's done well in this spell at centre half, but he was appalling when he played at centre half against Sunderland so I am not yet convinced that he's quite as good as some are making out.

There is absolutely no way that he should be starting ahead of Haidara at left back though.

Guest firetotheworks

KI you are criticising Dummett for the sake of it. You are desperate to criticise him and as such you've gone the hoof angle - which shows how good he's actually been at defending as a CB.

He's always been pretty solid at FB except against Navas who horribly exposed his lack of athleticism. But at CB he's  been very solid. Shown the ability to sniff out danger, puts his body on the line and is very committed without going all Saylor. And he's like a magnet to an aerial ball.

Defensively speaking he's impressed me more than MYM ever did as CB for us during this little run.

What the fuck are you talking about? :lol:

I brought up an anecdote about someone saying that he's an excellent player (which he isn't, to which my main point is that a player that hoofs it whether they're under pressure or not can never be excellent) and he then compared him to Puyol, which of course is fucking insane.

Everything is always just the smallest platform for you to spout your matter-of-fact/everyone-listen-to-my-opinion-because-this-is-how-it-is rhetoric. It's tiresome.

Steven Taylor looked incredibly comfortable at CB when we had our run at the beginning of 2011/2012. In fact baring Chelsea and QPR Ryan "David Beckham" Taylor looked comfortable at LB.

It's the product of a stable defence. Not that I have any real opinion on Dummett like, I just know that when we finally crumble and start conceding 3 a game again he'll be lynched.

Steven Taylor looked incredibly comfortable at CB when we had our run at the beginning of 2011/2012. In fact baring Chelsea and QPR Ryan "David Beckham" Taylor looked comfortable at LB.

It's the product of a stable defence. Not that I have any real opinion on Dummett like, I just know that when we finally crumble and start conceding 3 a game again he'll be lynched.

Saylor is a capable defender on his day but i've seen him have many a 'mare at CB. Limited appearances aye but Dummett has only ever looked a competent CB.

Ryan Taylor was absolutely woeful the first few games at LB. QPR in particular - and he had Jonas covering for him.

I've little time for Dummett the fullback but medium-term i'd like to see him have a decent run in the side.

KI - I don't know what you're talking about. You dislike how I write but it is a fact Paul Dummett has only ever looked a solid CB for us. Excellent player is obviously excessive but you can be a very good PL CB and be pretty limited on the ball.

12 games, not 6.

I disagree and I can argue a point without you referring to me in the collective third person and creating a reason for my opinion other than that I've watched him, don't rate him and think that he hoofs it a lot. I'd be the first to say if I was wrong about a player, I've done it a few times. I don't see anything in Dummett to suggest that it's anything more than good form, in a team in good form, he's still a basic player that offers little other than being average at defending.

What stops him from being good at defending then?

It's just bitter guff, all the time.

Guest firetotheworks

12 games, not 6.

What stops him from being good at defending then?

It's just bitter guff, all the time.

:lol:

What am I bitter about? I've just watched him and I don't think he's very good, there's no ulterior motive or any other reason than his footballing ability or lack thereof. What are you suggesting my reasons outside of that are?

Guest firetotheworks

Hold my hands up to what? I still don't think he's very good, he's played well and he's in good form, I dunno why that means I have to accept that this is who he is now, when I can tell who he is from the way that he plays even when he's playing well.

As if you're talking about people holding their hands up. :lol: You genuinely never ever do that.