Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Guest firetotheworks

Newcastle defender Paul Dummett has earned boss Alan Pardew's praise ahead of Sunday's Wear-Tyne derby.

The 22-year-old is be hoping to keep his place in the side after excelling when he was thrown into the deep end against Liverpool last time, filling in at centre-back following the sending-off of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Dummett scored his first goal for the club in the 2-2 draw and has given Pardew plenty to think about ahead of the derby clash at the Stadium of Light.

The Newcastle boss told The Chronicle: "I don't expect to see him scoring goals - stopping goals is what he will be paid for.

"I thought he did that really well. He made some important interceptions and headers.

"You actually didn't see the join in the back four when Yanga-Mbiwa went off.

"We conceded a lot of possession because we only had 10 but we did really, really well."

Options

Pardew revealed he was going to start Dummett against Liverpool with Mike Williamson struggling in the build-up and - with Fabricio Coloccini out and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa now suspended - he is pleased he has got options at the back.

He added: "We've worked with the players that have come in. And we look like we've got a lot of good options.

"I was going to start with Dummett for Liverpool because Willo was struggling before the game.

"It was ironic that he came on. He'd had preparation, but I didn't expect him to do his little hop, skip and jump after he scored.

"His family will be proud of him. We've had him since he was nine so it is great to get one through."

That's the most contrived, flat-out stupid example of spin that I've ever come across. Aye, now that Yanga-Mbiwa and Coloccini are out, we now have options at the back! Fucking get in.

Newcastle defender Paul Dummett has earned boss Alan Pardew's praise ahead of Sunday's Wear-Tyne derby.

The 22-year-old is be hoping to keep his place in the side after excelling when he was thrown into the deep end against Liverpool last time, filling in at centre-back following the sending-off of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

Dummett scored his first goal for the club in the 2-2 draw and has given Pardew plenty to think about ahead of the derby clash at the Stadium of Light.

The Newcastle boss told The Chronicle: "I don't expect to see him scoring goals - stopping goals is what he will be paid for.

"I thought he did that really well. He made some important interceptions and headers.

"We conceded a lot of possession because we only had 10 but we did really, really well."

Options

Pardew revealed he was going to start Dummett against Liverpool with Mike Williamson struggling in the build-up and - with Fabricio Coloccini out and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa now suspended - he is pleased he has got options at the back.

He added: "We've worked with the players that have come in. And we look like we've got a lot of good options.

"I was going to start with Dummett for Liverpool because Willo was struggling before the game.

"It was ironic that he came on. He'd had preparation, but I didn't expect him to do his little hop, skip and jump after he scored.

"His family will be proud of him. We've had him since he was nine so it is great to get one through."

That's the most contrived, flat-out stupid example of spin that I've ever come across. Aye, now that Yanga-Mbiwa and Coloccini are out, we now have options at the back! Fucking get in.

I think it's just clumsy parenthesis. He isn't pleased that the absence of Coloccini and Yanga-Mbiwa has provided us with options, he is pleased that we have more options than we did, say, last season, now that they're out.

Yeah sorry should have said I was assuming the rumours are true that Taylor is out for the derby.

Just a tad worried now that were down to the bones and potentially may have to throw these untried youngsters into premier league games. I know it worked out ok against Liverpool with Dummett.

But having to rely on Mapou, Williamson and Taylor as the only senior centre backs for a while could be a problem, with Taylor's history of injuries and Mapou's somewhat fragile state.

Options

That's the most contrived, flat-out stupid example of spin that I've ever come across. Aye, now that Yanga-Mbiwa and Coloccini are out, we now have options at the back! f***ing get in.

I think it's just clumsy parenthesis. He isn't pleased that the absence of Coloccini and Yanga-Mbiwa has provided us with options, he is pleased that we have more options than we did, say, last season, now that they're out.

Agreed, but last season we would have had Perch to fill in.

Guest icemanblue

Can't say I'm overly comfortable with the belief he'll be fine, simply because he'll 'love it'. I'd love to play, too, but I wouldn't offer much. He's a young full back, being thrust into one of the, if not the most pressurized game of our season, in a somewhat unfamiliar position. Obviously, I hope he does well, but I'll still be very worried.

Can't say I'm overly comfortable with the belief he'll be fine, simply because he'll 'love it'. I'd love to play, too, but I wouldn't offer much. He's a young full back, being thrust into one of the, if not the most pressurized game of our season, in a somewhat unfamiliar position. Obviously, I hope he does well, but I'll still be very worried.

:thup:

It's a lot different coming in and being expected to do well rather than come in and play in a backs against the wall situation. I'd argue the latter is far easier.

Altidore might have been poor but will have the beating of him physically and Fletcher if he plays is half decent.

Obviously hope he plays a blinder like but it's not ideal.

Yeah I'm surprised how confident a fair few people are about him playing cb. We're talking about an inexperienced Premier League player being asked to play out of position in an away derby. I've no doubt he'll 'be up for it' mentally but I have major doubts whether he'll cope ability wise.

Dummett played most of his youth and reserve team football as a central defender.

Steven Taylor was a striker, what's your point?

Dummett is far too small to be a CB, anyway, even if he did have PL experience.