Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

Guest Cheesy Beans

How come they rejected Villa’s £21m offer, but accepted our £20m offer?

Going to assume we are offering to pay upfront.

I think this deal means that Bournemouth are now out of the £60m of debt they were in.

Villa’s original bid was £15m plus £5m in clauses (which was rejected), they upped it to £21m but withdrew it after Wilson told them he wants to join us.

I assume the clauses were improbable.

I think this deal means that Bournemouth are now out of the £60m of debt they were in.

They didn’t reject it. Villa withdrew it.

So we're now shelling out £20m on a 28-year-old striker with two significant ACL injuries in his not-too-distant past but wouldn't spend £16.5 million on a 29-year-old striker who'd played over 30 competitive games in each of his last 10 seasons and was already a proven quantity here.

This club, man. Never fails to amaze.

For the record, I think it's a decent signing for where we are, but it's laughable how we're now willing to do these kinds of deals under Bruce.

Transfers dont work that way. Before accepting a bid, most clubs have an idea of their players preference and ultimately Villas bid would only become relevant if Newcastle couldn't get close enough to the price and Wilson had no other choice but move there.

Dare I say it but are we making these very un-Ashley signings which will have no resale value because Ashley is confident he won't be here in a year or two?

Hopefully, aye, but my feeling is that it's more likely a kneejerk response to the Joelinton disaster and wanting to make 100% sure we're still a PL club by not making a mistake like that again.

Dare I say it but are we making these very un-Ashley signings which will have no resale value because Ashley is confident he won't be here in a year or two?

I'd see it as more of an insurance policy similar to Andy Carroll. £20m is a lot more expensive obviously, but goals are worth their weight in gold if they keep you in the Premier. Ashley is probably belatedly realising what a twat he was for not paying £16m for Rondon.

Hopefully, aye, but my feeling is that it's more likely a kneejerk response to the Joelinton disaster and wanting to make 100% sure we're still a PL club by not making a mistake like that again.

Think it's more that Ashley has checked out and left the building, they get a budget and are left to do what they want with it. Which is how it should always have been. If he'd done that with Rafa we'd be in a very different place now.

Deals like this drag you back in because it’s better than what we’re dealing currently.

Hate it.

If you think a £20m signing drags folk back in you are sadly mistaken, not even Joelips at £40m got my attention.

£20m is chicken feed today and gets you an average player, £60m and up get you a goodun.

Sadly we will spend the bare minimum to get by and it’s not always about the fee, Bruce will soon crock or coach this one into oblivion ....drags me in ... :lol: