Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Meanwhile, we’ve got Steve Bruce giving it the Geordie card. The gulf between them is immeasurable.

This club has been occupied and Bruce is Vidkun Quisling.

Watched "more than a Manager" yesterday.

oh how i wept! What a beautiful human being  :smitten:

Just finished watching it myself today.  Cried like I'd just lost my dad. 

If anyone hasn't seen it yet just watch it!

To think where he had this club and compare it to where it is now.... :'(

Watched it on the plane on the way back to the UK this summer. Hard watch, absolutely criminal how much he was pissed on with England, at Barca and eventually us. Didn't even know him but miss him greatly.

Simply the best to ever be associated with this club. It was his sheer class, humility, and brilliance on and off the pitch. I love him more than KK because there was just something extra special about SBR’s human side.

Should never have been sacked, should have run the football club from board level until he either decided to walk away or pass away.

This completely, especially the end. Should have moved upstairs and brought his choice of manager in to mould (unless it was in fact bruce or Carver haha).

No doubt at all Mourinho would have eventually came here had Sir Bobby been upstairs. 

Got it for my birthday last year, definitely had tears welling but often of pride.

There was this moment against Man City in 01/02 when Keegan came back, got a great ovation of course and rightly so, the crowd sung "There's only one Kevin Keegan" and after a few verses it morphed into "There's only one Bobby Robson" and slightly louder. (Intend to watch again soon now I remind myself of it)

Given that his choice to come in as an understudy was Mourinho. That might have worked out for us. But Abramovich arrived, Porto win the champions league and the rest is history.

My main motivation for maintaining a season ticket for that year was that it would be Sir Bobby's last year. He deserved a proper thank you...and it would have been awesome.

Simply the best to ever be associated with this club. It was his sheer class, humility, and brilliance on and off the pitch. I love him more than KK because there was just something extra special about SBR’s human side.

Should never have been sacked, should have run the football club from board level until he either decided to walk away or pass away.

Watched "more than a Manager" yesterday.

oh how i wept! What a beautiful human being  :smitten:

Just finished watching it myself today.  Cried like I'd just lost my dad. 

If anyone hasn't seen it yet just watch it!

To think where he had this club and compare it to where it is now.... :'(

Watched it on the plane on the way back to the UK this summer. Hard watch, absolutely criminal how much he was pissed on with England, at Barca and eventually us. Didn't even know him but miss him greatly.

This completely, especially the end. Should have moved upstairs and brought his choice of manager in to mould (unless it was in fact bruce or Carver haha).

No doubt at all Mourinho would have eventually came here had Sir Bobby been upstairs. 

Would only have happened if Robson stepped down about 3-4 years earlier. Mourinho said so himself. Robson asked him to come with him around 2000 and he declined because he wanted to be a Manager himself and knowing Sir Bobby as well as he did, he knew it would be a few years before he moved upstairs.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just seen this on twitter... its 11 year today that he made his final public appearance, before the benefit match for his cancer charity.

Is that something in my eye?  :weep:

Mine too :(

• 2 weeks later...

Its kind of embarrassing for what this club has become to be associated with him.  Honestly he's way too good for that.

I loved how when Keegan came back with Man City the "there's only one Kevin Keegan" chant organically changed into "there's only one Bobby Robson"

The pair of them.  :smitten:

Great clip.

If you look at every manager Ashley has hired during his tenure bar Keegan and Hughton they have being the polar opposite to this great man.

Passionate, not settling for second best, not happy with a draw and not throwing his player under the bus for getting sent off but instead backing him to the hilt.

I don't care about trophies or champions league football ..this is what I miss. A great man to lead the club to be proud of

• 4 months later...