The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

I think Shola's the best finisher I've seen at the club aside from Shearer and possibly Ba (baring in mind I go back to about 98). Shame he's guff at everything else. Viduka would probably be closest to Shearer but I'm going to discount him because he barely played.

On his day, Titus was brilliant - quick, strong, good on the ball.  It was just that it didn't happen often enough.  I seem to remember him being brilliant against Juventus in the CL and thinking that if he could play like that every week...

Exactly this. On his day he's everything you want from a CB. He was a better player for us than Saylor has turned out to be.

On his day, Titus was brilliant - quick, strong, good on the ball.  It was just that it didn't happen often enough.  I seem to remember him being brilliant against Juventus in the CL and thinking that if he could play like that every week...

Exactly this. On his day he's everything you want from a CB. He was a better player for us than Saylor has turned out to be.

Bramble has never come close to the odd run of form Taylor has had for us. For all I'm not particularly keen on him, Taylor's had more than one lengthy spell of being just about imperious. Bramble had the tools but ultimately he was fucking garbage for us and I celebrated his signing to Wigan like a goal. His sending off for the Mackems against us was glorious, too.

I think Scott Parker is mint and he was one of my favourite players here.

die in a fire

Sadly, I'm going to agree with Sewelly on this one.

:okay:

First season, when I still didn't know loads about football, I loved him (Parker).

Titus Bramble was a very good defender for the majority of his career here.

Very good? For the Majority? Can't agree with that like. He had his days and occasionally he would put together a 2 or 3 game run where he didn't do something ridiculous, but even when he was solid in defence he was still smashing the ball 60 yards up the pitch and out of touch. You simply can't be a very good premier league defender without a brain.

Titus Bramble was a good player. Relatively quick, strong, good in the air. Was capable of some magnificent performances.

Always likely to drop a clanger though.

Aye, but he wasn't 'very good for the majority of his time here'. Or anything close.

Guest neesy111

Parker was decent 1st season (mind our best run that season came when he was out).  2nd season he was gash and completely shown up by Nicky Butt which said it all.

Jean-Alain EightMillion was probably the only CB I disliked more than Bramble. Didn't mind O'Brien; he was one of those squaddies who you knew wasn't great and never expected a great deal from, but put in a decent shift. Like a better Williamson, really.

Bramble has never come close to the odd run of form Taylor has had for us. For all I'm not particularly keen on him, Taylor's had more than one lengthy spell of being just about imperious. Bramble had the tools but ultimately he was f***ing garbage for us and I celebrated his signing to Wigan like a goal. His sending off for the Mackems against us was glorious, too.

Nah, not for me. Bramble played for a better team regularly, aye. But he was good enough to play regularly in a side that had a few decent cup runsn and league finishes.

I liked him aswell and felt he was harshly treated. I remember people rating Nicky Butt over him, which I found mental.

Guest neesy111

I liked him aswell and felt he was harshly treated. I remember people rating Nicky Butt over him, which I found mental.

Nicky Butt was far better than him in 06/07.

But wasn't that partly because Butt was given the simple job of being a DM, while Parker was expected to get forward and create because he was considered the more talented of the two? I felt we should have stuck by Parker and I thought it was crazy how quickly people turned on him.

Tiote and Cabaye is not a good partnership.

Yeah because that's an unpopular opinion :lol:

There's still people out there that persist with it, i won't rest until the idea of them together is eliminated completely :lol:

I'm on the fence with the seemingly common agreement that Tiote is now shit, but it seems to be a pretty popular opinion that Tiote + anyone is not a good partnership :lol:

But wasn't that partly because Butt was given the simple job of being a DM, while Parker was expected to get forward and create because he was considered the more talented of the two? I felt we should have stuck by Parker and I thought it was crazy how quickly people turned on him.

Thinking about it, you could replace Parker's name with Tiote there and you'd have the situation we're in now with him.

Tiote-Cabaye-Marv in a midfield 3 is the way forward. Got a bit of everything that.

Except Marv seems to be barely fit, Tiote has turned into a headless chicken and Cabaye doesn't seem arsed.