Fabian Schär

We played some cracking football with 5 at the back last year

Of course, we played some lovely stuff after the Man Utd home loss.

I just get the impression on here, most would prefer 4-2-3-1 and was wondering how many would say Schar should get into the 2 CB's?

I like Schar, obviously he is a talented player - it's a tough call to see whether he should be first choice in a back 4.

should he have been third choice behind fernandez and krafth?

Fernandez has been steady away this season.

i'm not having a go at fernandez, just trying to figure out why krafth would be ahead of him.

Think most of us prefer playing with 4 at the back. Does Schar get in your best 2 CB's?

Preferred the 3-4-3 we finished with last season. Two ball playing centre-backs in Schar & Lejeune, wing-backs could start higher up, Almiron and Perez (would be ASM) would be higher up, Shelvey wouldn’t have to drop so deep to pick up possession and could do what he does further up the pitch. Everything just clicked and looked good. Almost identical to how Nuno has Wolves set up.

That formation didn’t work under Bruce because the ball playing CBS were swapped for Clark & Fernandez. Wing-backs and the midfield naturally had to drop deeper to pick up possession, with the knock on affect being Almiron and ASM having to come deeper to get possession too (With Almiron more often than not on his wrong side too) leaving Joelinton all on his own. Under a PFM like Bruce, 4 at the back will look more comfortable but I still preferred the 3-4-3 we finished with last year.

Think most of us prefer playing with 4 at the back. Does Schar get in your best 2 CB's?

Preferred the 3-4-3 we finished with last season. Two ball playing centre-backs in Schar & Lejeune, wing-backs could start higher up, Almiron and Perez (would be ASM) would be higher up, Shelvey wouldn’t have to drop so deep to pick up possession and could do what he does further up the pitch. Everything just clicked and looked good. Almost identical to how Nuno has Wolves set up.

That formation didn’t work under Bruce because the ball playing CBS were swapped for Clark & Fernandez. Wing-backs and the midfield naturally had to drop deeper to pick up possession, with the knock on affect being Almiron and ASM having to come deeper to get possession too (With Almiron more often than not on his wrong side too) leaving Joelinton all on his own. Under a PFM like Bruce, 4 at the back will look more comfortable but I still preferred the 3-4-3 we finished with last year.

Fair enough.

I think he'd make a decent CDM if he spent enough time playing there. He has much better technique than Hayden(not knocking Hayden who's played well,) and previously scored a few goals when he gets in good position.

Poll needed

I def preferred Rafa’s 3 at the back with Schär being one of them.

Yep. The football once Almiron came in was really entertaining. We started moving the ball around in a really slick manner in all areas of the pitch.

It was even before then. The second we changed to the system even with Atsu playing we looked way better

Burnley away was the first time we did it effectively I think and we were brilliant

Yep. Rafa then switched it back to 4 at the back at home to West Ham and we got torn apart and we never played 4 at the back for the rest of the season.

Burnley away was the first time we did it effectively I think and we were brilliant

Beat Man City at home with it I think before that

Nah Man City was in January 2019, Burnley was in Autumn 2018 I think

Beat Man City at home with it I think before that

Nah Man City was in January 2019, Burnley was in Autumn 2018 I think

Ah right, wrong Burnley game I was thinking of

I love how we lump any defender who can play football as a potential DM like. :lol:

Hmm, can't remember one as good as he is? Colo was ok on the ball, but Shar is deffo a better technical player, the lad looks safe when he goes forward.

Plus what's interesting when experimenting, was seeing Sean Longstaff as some sort of CF or no10 before he got injured, he looked again safe up there, put himself about waay more than that lump Joelinton.

Felt like Colo was a silky reader of the game, very tidy dribbler and overall just very good on the ball - was a good passer that could move the ball about pretty well. But honestly he couldn't play the long diagonals with pace on a line like Schar and Lejeune though.

Is this even true? :lol:

I prefer three at a back. It's arguably our strongest position. With good wingbacks it's definitely our strongest formation.

3 at the back is perfectly fine system if the player personnel is better (wing backs, CM, ST). If Rafa was able to get 2 proper wing backs in and upgrade the engine room and another #10 like player we'd have been flying this season under that system. Lascelles/Fede in the middle with Lejeune and Schar spraying the ball about from the back.