Milners Missed Sitter

Crumpy Gunt

or the fact he even failed to get it on target when it was harder to actually miss shows why in reality we were probably right to try and offload him.

Off the top of my head I can remember him doing similar on a lot more than this one occasion. He has a nasty habit of missing when it is a harder option than hitting the target - and if/when he does get one on target it resembles a pass back to the keeper in its weakness. His crosses/corners are poor as they rarely beat the first man.

How anyone can sit Charlie on the bench and play Milner is beyond me, I wont be sad if he leaves in the transfer window.

Guest smoggeordie

or the fact he even failed to get it on target when it was harder to actually miss shows why in reality we were probably right to try and offload him.

Off the top of my head I can remember him doing similar on a lot more than this one occasion. He has a nasty habit of missing when it is a harder option than hitting the target - and if/when he does get one on target it resembles a pass back to the keeper in its weakness. His crosses/corners are poor as they rarely beat the first man.

How anyone can sit Charlie on the bench and play Milner is beyond me, I wont be sad if he leaves in the transfer window.

Agreed. Looked extremely average at best in all but the West Ham game this season.

I agree. Another case of an English talent being overhyped. He's had his chance to prove his worth this time around as well ... and I can't see a difference with the player we had before his one season stint at Villa. I'd still keep him as back up, but Solano or Zoggy or Duff should be ahead of him to play on the Right.

I agree. Another case of an English talent being overhyped. He's had his chance to prove his worth this time around as well ... and I can't see a difference with the player we had before his one season stint at Villa. I'd still keep him as back up, but Solano or Zoggy or Duff should be ahead of him to play on the Right.

Agree with that. He's never looked close to being the player he was hyped up to be. He's never justified his £5m fee and has flattered to deceive. Just an ordinary right-winger/striker who, because he's English, is suddenly the next big thing. If he was Italian - no fucker would pay more than £500k for him.... :roll:

Looks more comfortable turning off his defender's inside shoulder, when he's been at his most effective at Leeds and Villa, when he had more of a 'free role' in terms of being able to drift inside in the attacking 1/3 at the latter club. It's a nice attribute to have when employed in such a role, or as an attacking or playmaking/passing central midfielder whose able to beat his man 'on the turn' and wreak havok with the supply pass into & around the box, but the problem with Milner is that he doesn't have the physical presence and the final ball needed to play in the middle. As a winger he's one-paced, there's no guile to his game.

If the squad was deeper i'd happily get rid of, but the problem is we don't that have luxury at the moment - re:the squad size.

Being employed on the left, ahead of N'Zogbia, could be indicative of something not being quite right between Roeder and the N'Zog.

I've tended to agree with you quite often lately (as I start to see all things NUFC a bit differently), but I must disagree with you on this one. As Dave said, he was putting those away for Villa, so it can't be Milner that's the problem. It's a problem with the team, the manager, and the gameplan he sets out. The key word here is confidence and awareness. That's what wins you games, cups and titles. Most players out there are almost equal in talent/fitness/technique on a grand scale. It's those who have the most awareness and confidence that tend to exhibit this talent more, and use it to effect on a consistent basis.

Milner is a fine footballer, and is still very young. Haven't seen anything in him yet to tell me he absolutely cannot make it at the top. Quite the opposite actually. Not under managers like Souness and Roeder though, I'll tell you that much.

However, considering the circumstances, I totally agree that in no way should Zoggy be sat on the bench during this run. If anyone can get us out of this slump it's him I have the most confidence in.

The real problem with him is he beats his man time and time again, and then doesn't produce the easy bit, which makes him so frustrating.

Duff at the moment isn't even doing the first bit, never mind getting a cross in.

I though Milner was outstanding against Everton, then got dropped from the 16 in the next home game. Way to go Glenn.