Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest chopey

I thought it was a great watch and the amount of coaches and managers that he influenced (apart from that Van Gaal cunt) was amazing, A Knight to remember was more emotional though.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a great clip that they showed before the game yesterday. Got Lineker all tearful  :'(

Can't remember that commandment in the film though? Weird that they didn't include it as its a great insight to how he worked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just watched it - what a man,  That smile.  He wore his heart on his sleeve.  The dvd extra before the Germany England SF where the players are having a sweepstake on him mentioning the war in his pep talk.  Walks in and first thing he says is we beat them in the war :) Legend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Principal of St.Johns college, Durham was this mornings thought for the day on Radio 4. Spoke at length about Sir Bobby and how he was great, not because of his influence in football but because of the way he stayed in touch with Gazza and raised all that money whilst he was on the way out. One of the people I really wish I could have met.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched "more than a Manager" yesterday.

oh how i wept! What a beautiful human being  :smitten:

Just finished watching it myself today.  Cried like I'd just lost my dad. 

If anyone hasn't seen it yet just watch it!

To think where he had this club and compare it to where it is now.... :'(

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up his autobiography (Farewell but not Goodbye, 2006) for 50p the other weekend and finished it last night. Such a frustrating read towards the end, Shepherd couldn't have handled it any worse than he did. It makes you wonder how things would have turned out had they appointed an ambitious young manager rather than an angry dinosaur of a bloke in Souness.

I really pity the new generation of fans that missed that period in time. They don't know just how bloody big this club is capable of being.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Managing his dad’s club, his boyhood hometown club, was an honour for Bobby. Not the biggest club or biggest job, but the best job a Geordie lad could ever have and the only job to ever have. He was the proudest man on earth to be manager of Newcastle United, a job he would go on to call his civic duty, the privilege was all his he said. No Bobby, it was ours having you manage our club, your club.

Such was the man’s integrity and honour, he wouldn’t break his contract at Barcelona where he was shafted and they wouldn’t have stood in his way had he left for Newcastle, a job he would have been paid more money to take.

If he hadn’t of been sacked and was still alive right now he’d no doubt either still be the manager or working at the club in some capacity, a job he would have done for free under any circumstance. His final job and the job if he could choose to bow out from as a manager and from this mortal coil of ours, he’d have picked NUFC every time . The way he was treated by the board, some fans and some players is a black stain against them all, shame on them.

Sorely missed, never forgotten, always remembered. Walking in a Bobby wonderland...

He was one in a million, Bobby. I still miss him - not only because he typified everything that has been lost in society as a whole. The emphasis in care and compassion. To better yourself, not by fucking each other over, but through kindness  and generosity.

God bless the man.

Simply the best to ever be associated with this club. It was his sheer class, humility, and brilliance on and off the pitch. I love him more than KK because there was just something extra special about SBR’s human side.

Should never have been sacked, should have run the football club from board level until he either decided to walk away or pass away.

He was more than the club, he was the entire city and everywhere it touches. It was about togetherness, ambition, hard work and pride. I doubt even one person didn't follow the man based on his principles. It just so happened he had the desire and ability to do it through football, which helped him reach even more. I'll be forever proud to say what he did influenced me and the certainty I have about what our club and those who support it can do for others through football.

Watched "more than a Manager" yesterday.

oh how i wept! What a beautiful human being  :smitten:

Just finished watching it myself today.  Cried like I'd just lost my dad. 

If anyone hasn't seen it yet just watch it!

To think where he had this club and compare it to where it is now.... :'(

Watched it on the plane on the way back to the UK this summer. Hard watch, absolutely criminal how much he was pissed on with England, at Barca and eventually us. Didn't even know him but miss him greatly.

Simply the best to ever be associated with this club. It was his sheer class, humility, and brilliance on and off the pitch. I love him more than KK because there was just something extra special about SBR’s human side.

Should never have been sacked, should have run the football club from board level until he either decided to walk away or pass away.

This completely, especially the end. Should have moved upstairs and brought his choice of manager in to mould (unless it was in fact bruce or Carver haha).

Guest Gonzo

What makes me so sad is that his last year watching the club, he could see the direction the clubs new owner was taking it in. That must have stung.