Morecambe 0-7 Newcastle United - 23/09/2020

joeyt

How is this controversial? Why should or would they expect Newcastle to pay for testing for a match their ground?

If they were coming up here then it would be fair enough to expect Newcastle to pay.

If they can't afford it then maybe they should forfeit...

However that would deprive them of seeing their team passing and bossing a premier League team off the park

:thup: Fuck the poor, we're alright and that's all that matters.

This is nothing to do with fuck the poor. This is about being able to competently host a match. Think Man City will be paying ours when we go there? Same kind of wealth difference.

Surely they carry them out for normal league matches?

I would have thought each team should be responsible for their own testing regardless of opposition?

Yes it would be a nice goodwill gesture, but this club isn't exactly renowned for that

I doubt our wealth restricts our ability to test our own players.

Us and Man City can't be compared to us and Morecambe

Maybe not the most appropriate comparison, but I still fail to see why we should be looking after their costs just because we're playing them.

Would there have been any debate at all if they'd been drawn against another league 2 team? No they'd have paid it without a word and noone would have heard a thing.

Yes they're playing against a team that could afford to pay it for them, but why should they? A goodwill gesture would be to pay the Morecambe players for the week of the tie....I'd bet people would complain if somehow Mike grew a heart and decided it was the right thing to do

It's got nothing to do with fuck the poor, but if two poor teams played each other you'd be happy for them to go ahead with neither team being tested.

How is this controversial? Why should or would they expect Newcastle to pay for testing for a match their ground?

If they were coming up here then it would be fair enough to expect Newcastle to pay.

If they can't afford it then maybe they should forfeit...

However that would deprive them of seeing their team passing and bossing a premier League team off the park

:thup: Fuck the poor, we're alright and that's all that matters.

This is nothing to do with fuck the poor. This is about being able to competently host a match. Think Man City will be paying ours when we go there? Same kind of wealth difference.

Surely they carry them out for normal league matches?

I would have thought each team should be responsible for their own testing regardless of opposition?

Yes it would be a nice goodwill gesture, but this club isn't exactly renowned for that

And what if - like Orient this week - half the Morecambe team turn out to be infected? EFL clubs don't test their players regularly as they cant afford it. We are taking a massive risk here for the sake of a few thousand pounds. Image if the whole team have to quarantine for two weeks, would cause havoc to our schedule

Aye, but there's every chance Mike can save 80% on the wage bill.

Not to deflect attention from the rubbishness of our own skinflintery here but did/has the EFL set any guidelines about this already and fuck can they not foot the bill for all teams involved?

EFL represents more than 3 times the number of clubs. The total turnover of which is probably on a par with Fulham's.

I remember once when we played a team a team in the early rounds of the UEFA Cup on the 00’s. I forget who they were, but they were a fairly poor team. The had managed to pay for a flight from their home country to Heathrow, however once they arrived in London they didn’t know how to get to Newcastle and had no money to do so. We paid for them to get the train up Newcastle, and Shepard paid for them to stay in one of the better hotels in Newcastle.

Had we not have paid for their travel and accommodation, which we weeker within our rights to do, the other team would have had to forfeit.

I think it’s a nice gesture back then that we actually did that.

wait they've been having league 1 and 2 matchs with 0 testing? The fuck are the EFL playing at they had testing for the Championship last season

Clubs can't afford it.

So we should pay for it?

Theoretically...if we'd drawn Sunderland would anyone be up in arms if they asked us to.pay for their testing?

I suspect there would.be a massive almost universal pisstake...and not a single voice saying we should

wait they've been having league 1 and 2 matchs with 0 testing? The fuck are the EFL playing at they had testing for the Championship last season

Clubs can't afford it.

then why aren't the EFL and FA trying to sort something out so they're tested

Clubs can't afford it.

So we should pay for it?

Theoretically...if we'd drawn Sunderland would anyone be up in arms if they asked us to.pay for their testing?

I suspect there would.be a massive almost universal pisstake...and not a single voice saying we should

Other PL clubs are paying for the tests as they can afford to and it avoids the possibility of the virus spreading through their own squads. We have characteristically gone for the cheapest and least charitable option, despite the tiny cost implications for a business such as us that turns over £100m+ a year.

Almost 100% of lower league clubs income is from gate revenue whereas that's probably more like a quarter for clubs such as ourselves. It shouldn't need explaining that this is the usual scummy move from the club. Hope it comes back to bite them on the arse.

That shit old bald bloke still play for them?

He's waiting for us in the next round with Newport County.

Vague memories of him kicking the shit out of anything that moved when we played them years back and I'm sure he was 40 odd then. Must be in canny nick.

I think we probably should have paid for their players to get tested. Of course, we have no obligation but it would be a nice thing to support a lower league side. Then again, I'm not a complete cunt.

That shit old bald bloke still play for them?

He's waiting for us in the next round with Newport County.

Vague memories of him kicking the shit out of anything that moved when we played them years back and I'm sure he was 40 odd then. Must be in canny nick.

Just looked up who you're referring to as I remember that anarl. Kevin Ellison  :lol: He's 41.

?preset=square&greyscale=false

Divorced. Dad of 3. Loves Carlsberg and the gym. Hates lefties, BLM and snowflakes #Brexit #MAGA #AllLivesMatter

Guest neesy111

Perhaps the PFA should be helping ensure its members get tested instead of paying Gordon Taylor a £2.3m or use its £50m cash reserve

:thup: