Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Jonjo at least tries to pass the ball forward and create something, Jeff Hendrick next to him absolutely does nothing week in week out.

Shelvey is meant to be creative and he does a pathetic job of it, Hendrick isn't the same kind of player, Hendrick isn't in a team to create anything.

Shelvey is the one that gifted Man United the game (with Bruce), not Hendrick as well.

The most annoying part of watching this player is hearing the commentator every week talk about what he "has in his locker" the "ability he has" when he plays his 50th long pass directly to the keeper, has an unnecessarily difficult pass blocked, or plays a long diagonal that does not progress the team. You would think he was some version of Pirlo, and it was NUFC that was holding him back. Jonjo has attributes; his goal record from midfield is good and he is fairly progressive with the ball, but the negatives outweigh the positives, imo. You will never build a serious team with him as one the two midfielders. Defensively, he is lazy and has the dynamism of Anita and Colback. Going forward, he is slow on and off the ball. Shelvey will never be anything more than an decent player for a poor team or a bench player for a decent one. He'd have no place in a serious side.

His inability to run cost us the goal for 2-1.

A midfielder in a two needs to be able to run back as much as he does going forward. Watching him run is like watching someone try and move in slow motion. It makes no sense that he hasn’t been replaced. I guess he’s ones of Bruce’s good characters so an automatic starter 

His inability to run cost us the goal for 2-1.

A midfielder in a two needs to be able to run back as much as he does going forward. Watching him run is like watching someone try and move in slow motion. It makes no sense that he hasn’t been replaced. I guess he’s ones of Bruce’s good characters so an automatic starter 

It's a combination of not being a great runner combined with a complete lack of self awareness of how hopeless he is at it.

The number of times he will try and close in instances he is better off staying in position because he's never getting there is astonishing.

Someone like Mark Noble is just as poor an athlete, but he never manages to look this useless I don't think.

If Shelvey had anything better than a 50cc engine he'd be pretty good.

Pretty much. Watching that slide tackle in the first half where he missed it by 5 yards despite starting it early sums him up.

He'd be a great player if the opposition would agree to play the game at walking pace as well.

Our midfield was never gonna work after Schär replaced Hayden, hardly Shelveys fault.

He was poor before Hayden went off

Don't think he was particularly worse than anyone else, but thats not my point either. A midfield three of Shelvey, Hendrik and Schar is just stupid, and we were much worse after Hayden went off.

Guest ManDoon

You can't carry a player who has zero clue/desire to get the back unless it's messi. Stephen Hawkin could have ran through our midfield today

Our midfield was never gonna work after Schär replaced Hayden, hardly Shelveys fault.

He was poor before Hayden went off

Don't think he was particularly worse than anyone else, but thats not my point either. A midfield three of Shelvey, Hendrik and Schar is just stupid, and we were much worse after Hayden went off.

Really? Schar looks uncomfortable in midfield. But I noticed him doing more good work (a lot of lazy stuff, as well) than Hayden and we were equally as shite and clueless before the change.

Guest Cheesy Beans

He’s just not good enough to justify playing him for the one worldie pass he makes every 3 games.

Sadly Bruce builds his entire team around him.

If we were any good, averaged more than about 30% possession or at least coached properly. Then I think Shelvey would have a place in the team for a lot of games. As it is, he is good for about 5 a season. Usually the games where the opposition don’t bother pressing him and he can operate at his own leisurely pace.

Just utterly pointless for a struggling team like us and has been for a while now.

Guest reefatoon

Was infuriating in the second half when he had that chance. Loads of space to run into and he ends up just standing and shooting.