Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

2 games in 2 days is tough. You have to rotate.

f*** off man, they are meant to be professional athletes. It’s not like Shelvey exactly exerts his absolute all every game either, the opposite in fact. If he can’t physically and or mentally play 2 games in quick succession at the tempo he plays at when he does play, he may as well jack it now.

Premier League level football or not, players of a pro standard should be fit enough to play in quick succession especially the likes of Shelvey. A player who in particular, given his age, position and style of play, should be at the peak of fitness in order to suffer least at this time of year.

And let’s be honest, these games don’t exactly come around every other day or two every week do they. I’ve never bought the arguments that this time of year demands too much from players, elite or otherwise. It’s a convenient excuse for players and managers to use to drop out of games or blame poor results/performances on. And those managers/clubs that do, that’s why you have a squad of players.

There is no excuse full stop!

What the fuck are you about? No team is going to be play the same starting 11 when they have another game 2 days later. You have to rotate the squad. That is a fact.

It's so frustrating we're still being forced into debating Shelvey's importance to the team. It became abundantly clear early last season that his time here was more-or-less up. He's obviously done well this season but he'll never be reliable and is fundamentally limited. Another symbol of the enforced ceiling.

He could've played in the Championship in his slippers and he had a cracking bit of form alongside Diame in the second half on 17-18, but that's when Rafa should have been given the budget to upgrade the CM substantially. Instead he was given fuck all to spend and we ended up with Ki; thankfully he was an excellent manager who was forced into ensuring our other options played beyond their capabilities every week. But Shelvey could rightly hardly get in the side. Again, this summer was time to upgrade. But nah, we're still banging on about how this flawed player MUST start.

We're really going to give this guy a new deal?! :lol:

This club is a joke. He is so wasteful with the ball and leaves us a man short defensively.

Was so irritating how people started getting excited about him because of a few goals. He is a liability.

Guest ManDoon

You basically need to be a really good team set up to play to his strengths as we can’t carry anyone in this team and he’s awful off the ball.

• 2 months later...

It's so frustrating we're still being forced into debating Shelvey's importance to the team. It became abundantly clear early last season that his time here was more-or-less up. He's obviously done well this season but he'll never be reliable and is fundamentally limited. Another symbol of the enforced ceiling.

He could've played in the Championship in his slippers and he had a cracking bit of form alongside Diame in the second half on 17-18, but that's when Rafa should have been given the budget to upgrade the CM substantially. Instead he was given fuck all to spend and we ended up with Ki; thankfully he was an excellent manager who was forced into ensuring our other options played beyond their capabilities every week. But Shelvey could rightly hardly get in the side. Again, this summer was time to upgrade. But nah, we're still banging on about how this flawed player MUST start.

:clap:

Watching Shelvey play in our team is like me playing 5 a side with my mates....  I used to be a decent player but, I lost all my pace.  I can still pick out a pass, I can still hit a shot but, I need more time on the ball unchallenged to be able to do these things.  As a result having me on the team slows everything down, breaks down good passages of play and I am a hindrance to the better players....

Of course I still want to play because I enjoy it but, I am basically rubbish now and I need to admit that to myself and maybe move on to walking football or find some old codgers that need an extra player to make up numbers in their 5 a side game that is more at my current level.