Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

This young lad is so strong in the tackle :thup: The way he won the ball and ran up to give Diame support before slotting him in was something Colback wouldn't be able to do. He's actually faster than I thought he would be as well, at least dynamic enough to bring the ball out of tight situations.

• 3 weeks later...

I think hes a good player, hes good at winning the ball back and not afraid to put a tackle in and isnt afraid to come further up the pitch at times. Hes got a lot to learn still and makes sloppy mistakes but its not like he doesnt contribute so I dont think he deserves much criticism.

For all the grief that Colback gets, this kid is utter s**** as well mind.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Might be the worst post I've read in the last 24 hours

What does he do? He makes some decent tackles at times but also misses an awful lot and his passing/use of the ball is awful. He does an ok job at this level and admittedly he was better at the start of the seaaon but he's nowhere near PL quality from what i've seen from both then and now.

Still young so arguably may improve but we desperately need a better 'destroyer' if you like.

Guest neesy111

I like Hayden but he had a poor game yesterday.  The issue I think he has is he's unsure where to position himself when he plays next to Cactus Jack.

To even say he's as 'utter s***' as Colback is just mind boggling.

I didn't say he's as utter s**** as Colback, I did say that he's s***e and for all the grief Colback gets, Hayden is also extremely poor IMO and the point I was trying to make is that Hayden gets away without criticism.

It's all well and good pointing the finger at Colback being awful but you can't then forgive others for offering very little either.

Guest firetotheworks

The reason that one gets stick and the other doesn't is probably because 1. I don't think everyone agrees that Hayden's been 'extremely poor' in the same way that everyone does with Colback, not even slightly. 2. Even if everyone did agree that he's been extremely poor, he's 21, came from Arsenal, got promoted with Hull, has been improving this season, has played like 20 matches and is being given a chance. Colback is 27, came from Sunderland, we've seen him play over 75 times for us, over 100 times for Sunderland, and is probably even worse now than he was in the Premier League. In that situation where they're both extremely poor (again, I don't agree that Hayden's been poor at all) one's on the way up and the other's on the way down. 

Hayden won several tackles in important positions leading to attacks yesterday and usually does, which is why Rafa likes him so much. The problem is that he's extremely limited on the ball and when asked to play a little bit out of the realms of his comfort zone in lieu of Shelvey he was always going to be found wanting.

Guest reefatoon

I didn't say he's as utter s**** as Colback, I did say that he's s***e and for all the grief Colback gets, Hayden is also extremely poor IMO and the point I was trying to make is that Hayden gets away without criticism.

It's all well and good pointing the finger at Colback being awful but you can't then forgive others for offering very little either.

sounds like something Colback's mam would say

Hayden won several tackles in important positions leading to attacks yesterday and usually does, which is why Rafa likes him so much. The problem is that he's extremely limited on the ball and when asked to play a little bit out of the realms of his comfort zone in lieu of Shelvey he was always going to be found wanting.

I don't think he's limited on the ball at all. I think that he's got a decent range of passing on him, he's just not somebody to rely on to create things for you.

You said Hayden was utter shit, as well as Colback. Anyway if you can't see that Hayden recently is having to do the job of two midfielders in his first proper season as a first team regular at the age of 21 and think we should be beating him with the same stick as Colback then there's not much point in this 'debate'.

Thought he had some good moments, particularly defensively/when we were without the ball. Less good attacking wise, but the lad has balls, was up against a physical side and kept getting stuck in. Average game, rather than a shocker, imo.

He was a bit loose with his passing yesterday, but that was out of character I thought. He's generally pretty tidy, but it was always likely to impact his game having Colback to work off instead of Shelvey. If you judge him purely as a defensive midfielder, he does that job really well because he's quick and strong in the tackle. That's why you won't see him tugging shirts of players who are running away from him.

He was a bit loose with his passing yesterday, but that was out of character I thought. He's generally pretty tidy, but it was always likely to impact his game having Colback to work off instead of Shelvey. If you judge him purely as a defensive midfielder, he does that job really well because he's quick and strong in the tackle. That's why you won't see him tugging shirts of players who are running away from him.

He keeps pace and you can see him biding his time just right for those strong tackles. He was a little sloppy yesterday. Not shit though.