Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

He looks alright. I don't like us playing with DMs, though. I'd like to see us play Diame and Shelvey (if Sissoko leaves) with either Perez or de Jong just in front.

Better be playing with a high line and the intention of pressing high because the amount of space those two would leave behind them would see any half decent 10 dip us to shreds.

Let us not forget why wide open 4-4-2 are a thing of the past.

A fairly wide open 4-4-2 saw us dick everything in sight in the latter half of our last Championship season. Just saying.

Correct but the two teams that won auto promotion last season did so on the back of rigid, awful football.

A fairly wide open 4-4-2 saw us dick everything in sight in the latter half of our last Championship season. Just saying.

We played a 4-4-2 first half against Arnhem, Colback and Hayden as central two. Rafa in his interview with Ian Holloway, suggested that this is one of the formations he wants the team to play.

Guest neesy111

Correct but the two teams that won auto promotion last season did so on the back of rigid, awful football.

What's the aim then this season?  It's promotion or bust for the club, don't care how we win.

Guest firetotheworks

Possibly. I wasn't mega impressed by him, but he looks like a player who constantly has a good awareness of his surroundings. As a DM though, I'd have liked to see him be a bit snappier in the tackle, but it's been one match.

does he look a candidate for a central spot with diame then?

Not sure about that. He's probably a couple of years away from being a good DM given that experience that position requires and in an attacking sense he won't give you as much as Shelvey.

does he look a candidate for a central spot with diame then?

Not sure about that. He's probably a couple of years away from being a good DM given that experience that position requires and in an attacking sense he won't give you as much as Shelvey.

I think all three can play if we get another winger to cut in from one side. Leaves Diame and Shelvey free to do what they do well in midfield while Hayden just stays behind doing what he did for the first half yesterday. That obviously is dependant on us getting another winger like Ritchie who can provide width, pace and ability. Reason I think a 4-3-3 is the best way to play is because I think we need to prepare for the PL, a two man midfield in the PL is near impossible so Hayden behind Shelvey and Diame gives us a bit of everything I'd believe.

Nonetheless if it's a two man midfield it's Shelvey and Diame anyways for me :thup: