Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

It was more of a night for the Heel and Toe charity than a KK sportsman dinner so to speak.

He was brilliant but didn't once mention Ashley or Rafa.

This intrigues me. It would have been pretty nailed on for him to support Rafa, stick another knife in Ashley. I wonder why? He's never been slow coming forward, has he? 

Maybe felt a charity evening wasn’t the time or place

• 4 months later...

That photo on there of him skinning Merson & Adams sums him up. :lol:

Great article.

I remember at the time, seeing how he ran through the German midfield and defence at the World Cup, playing maybe three 1-2’s then scoring.  To find out a few weeks that later he’d signed for us was brilliant and a perfect fit for that side

One defeat, the 4-0 defeat by Manchester United in the 1996 Charity Shield, sticks out for Albert.

“We were outplayed, hammered,” he admits. “We had come back from Thailand and Japan in pre-season and honestly we were very tired. Some of their players like Roy Keane were professional and said nothing but some of the younger ones, they were taking the mickey, ridiculing us.

In the dressing room afterwards Keegan said nothing. But when they came to St James’ Park later that year, Kevin just gave out the team sheet and said: ‘Remember Wembley.’ That was enough: we went out there and won 5-0.

Cunts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would love to see him involved as some sort of DoF, but would depend on whether he could work with a big name manager who would probably be strong headed in his own right.

Knowing Kev, he would probably end up managing by default, he's not the hands off type.

Would love to see him involved as some sort of DoF, but would depend on whether he could work with a big name manager who would probably be strong headed in his own right.

Knowing Kev, he would probably end up managing by default, he's not the hands off type.

Just say it, man. You want him back as manager. It'd be like Rocky 6. "Yo Mandy, I still got stuff in the basement."

Hard to think anyone can be a bigger legend than wor kev at this club. When this Ashley era does finally end I hope kev isnt too old for those bridges to be built between him and the club. Just having him back at the club in any capacity would be huge as an ambassador is the most likely. Just getting him back in the ground seems like a dream!

Keegan get's it. Always has always will. From memory he was D.O.F. at Fulham initially with the late Ray Wilkins as coach and that didn't work out too well. I'd have him as manager here in a shot but doubt Kevin even wants that now. Some sort of presidential/ambassador role would suit him down to the ground.

Keegan get's it. Always has always will. From memory he was D.O.F. at Fulham initially with the late Ray Wilkins as coach and that didn't work out too well. I'd have him as manager here in a shot but doubt Kevin even wants that now. Some sort of presidential/ambassador role would suit him down to the ground.

I think he would. He has the same childlike enthusiasm as SBR and such an opportunity would reignite the fire.

Just say it, man. You want him back as manager. It'd be like Rocky 6. "Yo Mandy, I still got stuff in the basement."

Honestly I still think he could do a job. Whether he could win something I don't know, maybe a bit too idealistic. But how many people do you know who could get the place to lift off again like it did back in old days?

Keegan was so good with the media and people generally, so charming that in the event of this Ashleyh hell ever ending be in one of those roles Bayern give their legends, Moncurs preferably.

Hard to think anyone can be a bigger legend than wor kev at this club. When this Ashley era does finally end I hope kev isnt too old for those bridges to be built between him and the club. Just having him back at the club in any capacity would be huge as an ambassador is the most likely. Just getting him back in the ground seems like a dream!

Totally agree.

I know calling managers 'messiah's' is a parody now but it was something else when he came back. The atmosphere in the area changed instantly. Everybody had hope again, the sun broke through, winter was on the way out (literally).

Was just thinking about the anniversary of that coming up.

Ashley leaving would create a similar feel as it happens.

I'd love to see Keegan back at the club in any capacity, especially as manager.

As has been said, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'd still have the enthusiasm and the ability for it. He'd get everyone believing again in a heartbeat.

Unfinished business.

Kev should be running the club from the board level; needs a stand named after him. Needs a statue.

always thought it was strange that Joe Harvey only got a plaque but no stand or statue.

Yip to that......and this will be heresy to many but I thought Robsons was based  on a modern sentimentality.

• 3 weeks later...