Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been supporting the toon all my life, and the only trophy I have seen us win was the Fairs Cup back in 1969. I know many of you guys didn't even see that.  Personally, I just want us to win the EPL or the FA Cup, or the Champions league/Europa Cup once before I die. If it means being taken over by SA then so be it.  As has been said in earlier posts if it conflicts with your beliefs on human rights then don't go.

I personally wont go on holiday to the USA because of their gun culture and their treatment of ethnic minorities as second class citizens, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my viewpoint on this score on others.

And lets not forget how many people the USA executes each year, usually after keeping them on death row for 30 or 40 years, and only executing them when they are completely reformed.

Well I would never compare the US to Saudi Arabia, but what I will say is that the US inflicts death and devastation across the globe in the name of profit. If we are going to be picky about who owns us, should we write off American investors as well? Even Britain is cosy with the Saudis, we don't have any qualms about doing business with them, so I think I'll be okay with it if they want to build us a fantastic football team which we can finally be proud of again.

Pride is a funny thing. We'll join the band of clubs that are destroying the game, I wouldn't be proud of that.

We can either be on the inside or on the outside. I suppose if I was going to take a purely moral stance I wouldn't watch football at all.

I rarely do.

Fair play, but I do and I want us to be up there again. We deserve to win something as much as anyone.

By the same token, anyone who wants to walk away, I think you have to do what you feel is right.

If it goes ahead with the Saudi’s then fuck what everyone thinks.

They are allegedly promising investment in the area as well as the football club. I’m sorry to say it, but the city needs it, the region needs it, and with Brexit just days away, we are going to need it more.

It’s alright for people in London etc to sit there and say ‘That is blood money’, but where the fuck else are we going to get investment from? Our government has fucked us for generations.

On the NUFC matter. If that money went to any other club, I’m sure most fans would be happy if it lead to an improvement, or even success. Man City, PSG, and Chelsea fans were/are happy to lap up their investment and success from money that hasn’t exactly been clean.

We win a cup, you bet I’ll be celebrating. I’ve seen this club go through some tough times, this club has had me crying myself to sleep as a youngster, and their hasn’t been much of an improvement since. If we got success, I’m celebrating, no matter how it comes.

Been supporting the toon all my life, and the only trophy I have seen us win was the Fairs Cup back in 1969. I know many of you guys didn't even see that.  Personally, I just want us to win the EPL or the FA Cup, or the Champions league/Europa Cup once before I die. If it means being taken over by SA then so be it.  As has been said in earlier posts if it conflicts with your beliefs on human rights then don't go.

I personally wont go on holiday to the USA because of their gun culture and their treatment of ethnic minorities as second class citizens, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my viewpoint on this score on others.

And lets not forget how many people the USA executes each year, usually after keeping them on death row for 30 or 40 years, and only executing them when they are completely reformed.

Well I would never compare the US to Saudi Arabia, but what I will say is that the US inflicts death and devastation across the globe in the name of profit. If we are going to be picky about who owns us, should we write off American investors as well? Even Britain is cosy with the Saudis, we don't have any qualms about doing business with them, so I think I'll be okay with it if they want to build us a fantastic football team which we can finally be proud of again.

Pride is a funny thing. We'll join the band of clubs that are destroying the game, I wouldn't be proud of that.

We can either be on the inside or on the outside. I suppose if I was going to take a purely moral stance I wouldn't watch football at all.

I rarely do.

Fair play, but I do and I want us to be up there again. We deserve to win something as much as anyone.

By the same token, anyone who wants to walk away, I think you have to do what you feel is right.

We don't deserve to win anything. We deserve to compete. If we just outbid the opposition we're not winning at football.

They are allegedly promising investment in the area as well as the football club. I’m sorry to say it, but the city needs it, the region needs it, and with Brexit just days away, we are going to need it more.

It’s alright for people in London etc to sit there and say ‘That is blood money’, but where the fuck else are we going to get investment from? Our government has fucked us for generations.

On the NUFC matter. If that money went to any other club, I’m sure most fans would be happy if it lead to an improvement, or even success. Man City, PSG, and Chelsea fans were/are happy to lap up their investment and success from money that hasn’t exactly been clean.

We win a cup, you bet I’ll be celebrating. I’ve seen this club go through some tough times, this club has had me crying myself to sleep as a youngster, and their hasn’t been much of an improvement since. If we got success, I’m celebrating, no matter how it comes.

I'd rather be a Geordie in the 90s than a PSG fan today.

That’s up to you.

All I’m saying is, in terms of both the city and the football club, we have been begging for money for years. It might finally be about to come, and deservedly so, I don’t think anyone can say that we can afford to turn it down.

That’s up to you.

All I’m saying is, in terms of both the city and the football club, we have been begging for money for years. It might finally be about to come, and deservedly so, I don’t think anyone can say that we can afford to turn it down.

It's not up to me. It's up to the world. I wasn't proud to be a Geordie because everybody loved us for winning everything. People loved us because we embodied a spirit that was inspirational.

With the caveat that it's a load of shite, it's not "Saudi investors", it's the state of Saudi Arabia. Quite a big difference.

That’s up to you.

It's not up to me. It's up to the world. I wasn't proud to be a Geordie because everybody loved us for winning everything. People loved us because we embodied a spirit that was inspirational.

It's not the 90's any more, no one loves us now. We are a miserable club with shit standards that serves only the owner's interests.

With the caveat that it's a load of shite, it's not "Saudi investors", it's the state of Saudi Arabia. Quite a big difference.

Maybe the FA or the govt will put a block on it then. That will be the end of it.

Thaaaaat's it, Wullie, come on in. Join us.

That’s up to you.

It's not the 90's any more, no one loves us now. We are a miserable club with shit standards that serves only the owner's interests.

There is a shitload of respect for Leicester.

:lol: I enjoy the hypothetical discussion Yorkie.

I'm quite enjoying seeing first hand what Rory Smith has been on about for years with Man City fans and the way they go on as cheerleaders for Abu Dhabi.

Is wanting to feel proud of the club you support and proud of the way it represents your city just a complete anachronism now at the top end of the modern game? I suspect I know the answer. 

Bet Assad wishes he'd bought an English football team years ago, he really genuinely missed a trick.

Owners do not primarily represent the club, that is the position of players, coaches, and supporters. As long as the owners does not go about altering the fundamental identity of NUFC, I am fine with whoever it is. The reality of modern football is that clubs need significant investment to compete and large sums of money tend to have blood on them in one way or the other. That is the nature of it. I think Ashley is a corrupt buffoon, but would have no enmity towards his ownership if the man simply funded the club properly. What he does outside of this is irrelevant imo, and it would not be different if the owners were Saudis. There is no need to identity with them anymore than you identify with Ashley now. 

:lol: I enjoy the hypothetical discussion Yorkie.

I'm quite enjoying seeing first hand what Rory Smith has been on about for years with Man City fans and the way they go on as cheerleaders for Abu Dhabi.

Is wanting to feel proud of the club you support and proud of the way it represents your city just a complete anachronism now at the top end of the modern game? I suspect I know the answer. 

Bet Assad wishes he'd bought an English football team years ago, he really genuinely missed a trick.

Don’t always agree with you but that’s it in a nutshell.

People selling their souls to win a trophy that can only be won be billionaire owned clubs.

Football has left us.

I gave up on the club years ago because of Ashley.  A new owner could convince me to return, but not this one.  He's only interested in the club to improve his profile in the west, and judging by this thread, it'll work.

I gave up on the club years ago because of Ashley.  A new owner could convince me to return, but not this one.  He's only interested in the club to improve his profile in the west, and judging by this thread, it'll work.

You could look on it as a positive that he is even bothered about improving his profile in the west, and that of his country.

Comparing it to buying fuel for your car is daft. It’s not the same at all.

Saudi investment in sport is purely political. They do it to improve their global reputation whilst they continue to commit atrocities and violate basic human rights. It’s pure sportswashing and I can’t support a club that is part of that.

Mike Ashley’s practices might be bad, but they aren’t a scratch on the Saudis. I desperately want rid of him, but not if this is the answer.

I don't get why nobody else sees this. Maybe they don't want to.