Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I’m honestly conflicted I don’t want to feel guilty about my football club.

It’d certainly be interesting how many people’s principles hold up if we ever challenge for the league or reach the fa cup final. Personally I don’t think i’d take much persuasion to get on board.

Who made the bikes, or the bike parts? Were my walking shoes made by child slaves?

Exactly the point.  Everyone tolerates shit things happening to other people to a degree just to get on with their life.  Everyone has a line, for some this is over the line, for others maybe not.  I'm not going to cast aspersions either way, i'm ok with it myself.

I might be able to go to the odd game again, but I doubt I'll ever feel the same. It's not this situation specifically really, it's just the PL becoming a competition for who has the best billionaire, rather than a sport. 

We are quite lucky in that sense, that we are still a big enough draw to get interest from the likes of Saudi. 90% of the clubs in England won't even get a second glance.

But I suppose we can always continue to piddle about with Ashley, or one of his penniless partner investors like Kenyon so he can continue marketing Sports Direct.

I’d enjoy success on a surface level but I’d always be thinking about the badness. Same as I feel about how good Man City are now.

The overall problem is with football as a whole.

Yet we still watch it.

Like I said before, the main way I enjoy football now is as a one-off spectacle. Man City v Liverpool, enjoy what happens on the pitch, try to forget about the narrative and the futility of the bigger picture.

I mainly enjoy football as an exhibition of skill now.

Losing my club has helped move me in this direction, obviously.

I mentioned this in the other thread yesterday, but I don't feel like I can take a definitive view on this until I understand precisely how complicit NUFC would be in any Saudi-led atrocities in their region. If it's genuinely possible to support a well-run football club whilst reviling a barbaric regime - independently from one another (having my cake and eating it, in other words) - happy days. However, if those two positions are fundamental connected and immovable from one another... well, I'd just have to think of another excuse for my sheer elation at the change.

Dunno how many more of these legitimate-sounding developments I can take. Kinda cursing myself for getting sucked in but this past couple of days have been the most optimistic of the season for me.

Been supporting the toon all my life, and the only trophy I have seen us win was the Fairs Cup back in 1969. I know many of you guys didn't even see that.  Personally, I just want us to win the EPL or the FA Cup, or the Champions league/Europa Cup once before I die. If it means being taken over by SA then so be it.  As has been said in earlier posts if it conflicts with your beliefs on human rights then don't go.

I personally wont go on holiday to the USA because of their gun culture and their treatment of ethnic minorities as second class citizens, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my viewpoint on this score on others.

And lets not forget how many people the USA executes each year, usually after keeping them on death row for 30 or 40 years, and only executing them when they are completely reformed.

Been supporting the toon all my life, and the only trophy I have seen us win was the Fairs Cup back in 1969. I know many of you guys didn't even see that.  Personally, I just want us to win the EPL or the FA Cup, or the Champions league/Europa Cup once before I die. If it means being taken over by SA then so be it.  As has been said in earlier posts if it conflicts with your beliefs on human rights then don't go.

I personally wont go on holiday to the USA because of their gun culture and their treatment of ethnic minorities as second class citizens, but I wouldn't dream of imposing my viewpoint on this score on others.

And lets not forget how many people the USA executes each year, usually after keeping them on death row for 30 or 40 years, and only executing them when they are completely reformed.

I just want us to compete from the advantageous position that our support should accommodate. I've seen us compete at the top of the league, in cup finals, and in European semis. If we have to turn a blind eye to the murder of millions to take the next step, I think I can find it easy to compromise. **

The club is essentially dead to me whilst Ashley is here, and a few gallons of Arabian blood will not resurrect it.

** just realised how that sounds ambiguous. Success is not just winning things. We are always at a disadvantage to other clubs, simply because of location (stupid as that is), and will probably never win anything. But once upon a time I could visit any corner of the globe and be proud to be a Geordie. Never been a fan of football tops, but when people asked where you are from, they would always smile and a conversation would ensue.

The existence of this thread, divisive amongst our own loyal followers, demonstrates that will no longer apply. I don't want to be world renowned for winning anything if it means I'm world renowned for enabling crimes against humanity. Nobody needs to be held personally accountable for anything.

Well I would never compare the US to Saudi Arabia, but what I will say is that the US inflicts death and devastation across the globe in the name of profit. If we are going to be picky about who owns us, should we write off American investors as well? Even Britain is cosy with the Saudis, we don't have any qualms about doing business with them, so I think I'll be okay with it if they want to build us a fantastic football team which we can finally be proud of again.

Like I said before, the main way I enjoy football now is as a one-off spectacle. Man City v Liverpool, enjoy what happens on the pitch, try to forget about the narrative and the futility of the bigger picture.

Really?  You've never mentioned it.

Huh? I said ‘like I said before’.

Aye but you're turning into one of those posters who's so not bothered and doesn't care he has to tell everybody constantly that he's not bothered and doesn't care.  Same post over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Well I would never compare the US to Saudi Arabia, but what I will say is that the US inflicts death and devastation across the globe in the name of profit. If we are going to be picky about who owns us, should we write off American investors as well? Even Britain is cosy with the Saudis, we don't have any qualms about doing business with them, so I think I'll be okay with it if they want to build us a fantastic football team which we can finally be proud of again.

Pride is a funny thing. We'll join the band of clubs that are destroying the game, I wouldn't be proud of that.

Aye but you're turning into one of those posters who's so not bothered and doesn't care he has to tell everybody constantly that he's not bothered and doesn't care.  Same post over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I can only apologise.

Pride is a funny thing. We'll join the band of clubs that are destroying the game, I wouldn't be proud of that.

We can either be on the inside or on the outside. I suppose if I was going to take a purely moral stance I wouldn't watch football at all.

We can either be on the inside or on the outside. I suppose if I was going to take a purely moral stance I wouldn't watch football at all.

I rarely do.

I'm not even that bothered about success . I just want to see Ashley crash and burn now.

When the possibility of redemption and recovery is off the table, as it has felt the season, I want us to get relegated for that reason. I want to feel vindicated in having turned my back on the club and for the enablers to suffer. It's so unhealthy. :lol: