Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

Annoying like when I subscribe and pay for the content and people are just happy to go and post it for others to see for nothing. It’s a fiver a month for quality content.

What's the problem?  You still get the content you're paying for.

Guest Howaythetoon

Annoying like when I subscribe and pay for the content and people are just happy to go and post it for others to see for nothing. It’s a fiver a month for quality content.

Annoying when I pay more tax to drive my car on the road than others who shouldn’t be able to drive on the same roads as me!

:serious:

:serious:

Articles get posted from the Times, Telegraph, FT, etc etc, loads of places.  The Athletic is suddenly different because he pays for it?

What's the point of discussing paywalled articles in a general thread if most people don't know what they're about.  Make a thread for Athletic articles and keep it subscribers only if it bothers you that much.

Nice one on the whole being a condescending pillock thing, love that. :thup:

It's literally available for free for three months. Constantly posting articles from behind the paywall damages the product, cheapens the value for everyone who does pay for it, and little by little reduces the ability for people like George Caulkin - who is universally respected on here and we're all grateful for his content - to keep producing stuff. We're not talking multi-million historical institutions like The Times and The Telegraph, here.

Post snippets or bullet points or something.

It's literally available for free for three months. Constantly posting articles from behind the paywall damages the product, cheapens the value for everyone who does pay for it, and little by little reduces the ability for people like George Caulkin - who is universally respected on here and we're all grateful for his content - to keep producing stuff. We're not talking multi-million historical institutions like The Times and The Telegraph, here.

Aight, guessing you'll be saying the same for every article from wherever that gets posted.  Top moralising :thup:

I don't know what institutions you're referring to and I don't read every thread, but if they feature sources and writers that this forum effectively relies on for its sanity, whilst literally being available for free in a non-damaging way, then it's worth an argument, aye. :thup:

I'm not blind to the hypocrisy, I pointed that out in the first place; I just think it's a unique case, hence piping up now and about specifically this.

• 3 weeks later...

If this takeover comes off may I suggest a flag depicting Richard Keys but with a tear running down his cheek, reminiscent of theb1980 Moscow Olympics Misha the bear at the closing ceremony. I'm sure some system could be sorted to have the tear run.

Nah, don't give him the oxygen of publicity. Just ignore him.

Definitely don't post on his Twitter. Don't even click on it, he gets income from all of that. Just forget he exists.

Their business model is pretty repulsive. American venture capitalists with a stated aim to destroy journalism other than it.

Guest neesy111

Their business model is pretty repulsive. American venture capitalists with a stated aim to destroy journalism other than it.

Yeap.

Yeap.

Who's that, The Athletic ?

Guest neesy111

Yeap.

Who's that, The Athletic ?

Yes.

This is a different argument to the one I initially engaged in (which I admitted to being rife with hypocrisy on my part from the very beginning), but would that 'repulsive business model' be to invest heavily with a view to becoming the best product it can be, thus providing a one-stop-shop for all the best material on the market, worthy of the subscription fee (which, again, is currently £0)? Or is there something else I don't know about?

This is a different argument to the one I initially engaged in (which I admitted to being rife with hypocrisy on my part from the very beginning), but would that 'repulsive business model' be to invest heavily with a view to becoming the best product it can be, thus providing a one-stop-shop for all the best material on the market, worthy of the subscription fee (which, again, is currently £0)? Or is there something else I don't know about?

"We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them." - Alex Mather, founder.

Just a thoroughly unpleasant bunch with a few quid who don't actually give a stuff about journalism. I don't think we need American companies to control our journalism just because we happen to speak the same language either but that's a personal bee in my bonnet that everyone already knows about. :lol:

I wouldn't advocate posting their articles in full on here but that's mainly because I wouldn't want our site to get in any trouble. I like George Caulkin a lot personally and professionally but The Athletic can crash and burn.

Guest neesy111

"We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

Just a thoroughly unpleasant bunch with a few quid who don't actually give a stuff about journalism. I don't think we need American companies to control our journalism just because we happen to speak the same language either but that's a personal bee in my bonnet that everyone already knows about. :lol:

I wouldn't advocate posting their articles in full on here but that's mainly because I wouldn't want our site to get in any trouble. I like George Caulkin a lot personally and professionally but The Athletic can crash and burn.

:thup:

Guest The Little Waster

They dont need to knacker the Chron - the Chrons doing a wonderful job of that all on its own

They dont need to knacker the Chron - the Chrons doing a wonderful job of that all on its own

Aye it’s a shitrag like, it’s constant arse licking of hasbeen local gangsters absolutely does my nut in.