Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Guest firetotheworks

I still really like him, but he could probably do with a rest. Same stupid comments from the same daft posters who've moved on from Perez and Hayden seemingly without learning a single thing.

I still really like him, but he could probably do with a rest. Same stupid comments from the same daft posters who've moved on from Perez and Hayden seemingly without learning a single thing.

:thup:

Absolutely mental that some were slating him for taking our pen yesterday. :lol: By all means, be critical of the actual pen. But howay, think he had a perfect record beforehand.

I've always supported Ayoze and never had a go at Hayden in the past. I've been annoyed by Ritchie however. He's rash and comes across as very moody. Has some very annoying habits in game too. He's been very useful for us, but it's definitely time to see what we can do without him.

I've always supported Ayoze and never had a go at Hayden in the past. I've been annoyed by Ritchie however. He's rash and comes across as very moody. Has some very annoying habits in game too. He's been very useful for us, but it's definitely time to see what we can do without him.

Exactly the same here. Always thought Perez would benefit from having better footballers around him.  With Ritchie it exposes his flaws. Now we are practically safe it must make more sense to give Kennedy or Barreca a game.  Ritchie is not going to improve at this stage in his career the other two will

If I had any faith in the club and believed Rafa would be backed appropiately, I’d argue Ritchie has got to be the next to be replaced.

We can’t progress with him taking penalties.and corners. He’s too slow. Not a proper defnder or genuine threat. Midtable Premier League player at best.

I love him and all. He’s agreat asset for any Championship side.

This. In an ideal world we'd sign an upgrade and keep him as a squad player/player who'd rotate in and out.

I'm really not a fan of paceless wide players who can't dribble, and since we came up his goal threat has been almost non-existent. What is it, 2 goals from open play in 60+ league games?

He doesn't offer enough at this level. He has been lucky to find a niche as a wing back, but yesterday proves he's not really cut out for that either.

This is not kneejerk either, I've been consistent in not rating him at this level.

Guest firetotheworks

I just think it's telling that the criticism that has shifted to him coincides with us winning and previously criticised players like Perez, Hayden, Rondon etc have improved drastically to where Richie's now seen as the main weakness, probably rightly tbf. To me it shows that we're improving, because it wasn't long ago that he was imo the least of our problems. What I think it's worth considering from the criticism and then improvement of Perez etc, is that players can improve and go through peaks and troughs. Ritchie's been an important player for us, particularly in the Championship, often in high pressure situations, and while I understand that we should look to do better, Ritchie's the sort of player that brings guts, leadership and commitment, which although slightly pfm rhetoric shouldnt be undervalued and replacing that

either like for like or elsewhere, while also adding an improvement in football quality, within an Ashley budget, won't be easy.

Hes a championship player end of story. He doesn't offer any goal threat in the premier league is far too slow to be a winger and cannot beat a man for shit.Eddie Howe probably seen that hes just not suited to this division in the year after Bournemouth were promoted hence him shipping him out here

He really needs to go in the summer

I just think it's telling that the criticism that has shifted to him coincides with us winning and previously criticised players like Perez, Hayden, Rondon etc have improved drastically to where Richie's now seen as the main weakness, probably rightly tbf. To me it shows that we're improving, because it wasn't long ago that he was imo the least of our problems. What I think it's worth considering from the criticism and then improvement of Perez etc, is that players can improve and go through peaks and troughs. Ritchie's been an important player for us, particularly in the Championship, often in high pressure situations, and while I understand that we should look to do better, Ritchie's the sort of player that brings guts, leadership and commitment, which although slightly pfm rhetoric shouldnt be undervalued and replacing that

either like for like or elsewhere, while also adding an improvement in football quality, within an Ashley budget, won't be easy.

I've been criticizing Ritchie since before the Championship season ended, as have a few others on here, so making out the criticism of him is only a recent thing isn't reflective of opinions that have been held consistently. Those opinions were based on the basics, i.e. the lad is a winger with no real pace, no dribbling ability/flair, can't really beat a man, doesn't stretch teams, has average stamina, floats one decent cross in every dozen or so attempts, and alarmingly bottles half decent shooting opportunities with regularity despite possessing good shooting technique (in theory) - why any of our fans rate him at all is beyond me. I mean he's not completely crap, he's capable of the odd decent performance in this league, but then most mediocre players can do so if given enough games (even Colback got an England call up). The shift to LWB masks some of those issues, but then exposes others, such as him not being a liability defensively and being reluctant to pass it to the wingers in front of him. Overall though I think he's better at LWB than he is a winger in this league.

Re: guts/commitment/leadership, I'm personally not convinced he offers anything beneficial to the team. I think if he does offer something it's experience, i.e. he's generally OK on the ball in general play in terms of controlling it confidently, laying it sideways, etc. But an actual leader? I think he needs to be performing at a much high level before his running around like a headless chicken getting knackered serves as inspiration for his teammates. I suspect some of his teammates secretly dislike him as he's arguably the worst/weakest player in the current team yet he's berating others - leadership normally comes from those who are established and good at what they do.

More importantly, how relevant is all of that pfm bollocks anyway? Look at it in context. No injection of pace and skill from Kenedy last season and we're probably in a relegation fight. No injection of pace and skill from Almiron this season and we're probably down where Cardiff are at the moment. How useful really is the "guts/leadership/commitment" of Ritchie given that it was doing nothing for us before we had to say "fuck it, lets bring some pace and skill in"? If anything it proves ability and athleticism matter more, certainly for wingers. Maybe it matters everywhere (remember people saying the same when Nolan was given the boot, losing our leader etc, yet Cabaye was infinitely better and so was the team as a whole).

In terms of replacing him, nothing is guaranteed, but I think it's going to be pretty likely we get an upgrade if Rafa gets decent money to buy a replacement. One way to get that decent money is to cash in on Ritchie whilst there's still a bunch of clubs/managers who think he's a good footballer, or more likely clubs who'll factor in that he was good in the Championship. There's always been good options for an upgrade, the most obvious one being Townsend (unfortunately that ship has sailed), but Rafa if he's still here will know.

Fucking joke he's getting such hatred. He's a right mid being asked to play left wingback and he's not very good at it, as soon as he switched to right mid second half and was back with yedlin where he feels comfortable, he could have had an assist before being subbed off, he put in a great cross that Dummett got in the way of both Ayoze and Rondon who were waiting to pounce.

I personally don't rate the wingback system, I prefer four at the back, and the last two fixtures when Rafas switched it when it's not working we have looked better in the second halfs when behind.

I can't blame Ritchie too much, and I'm sure prior to the pen miss hed scored our last 7 pens.

I also believe our new lad doesn't look great played on the left. He's a number 10.

Wouldn't be as fussed if Ritchie himself hadn't come out and said it's now his "preferred position" to play left wing back.

Someone else told me this, but was it actually Ritchie himself saying it, or did it come from the media? I'd like to see where he says it himself if he does.

Fucking joke he's getting such hatred. He's a right mid being asked to play left wingback and he's not very good at it, as soon as he switched to right mid second half and was back with yedlin where he feels comfortable, he could have had an assist before being subbed off, he put in a great cross that Dummett got in the way of both Ayoze and Rondon who were waiting to pounce.

I personally don't rate the wingback system, I prefer four at the back, and the last two fixtures when Rafas switched it when it's not working we have looked better in the second halfs when behind.

I can't blame Ritchie too much, and I'm sure prior to the pen miss hed scored our last 7 pens.

I also believe our new lad doesn't look great played on the left. He's a number 10.

Wouldn't be as fussed if Ritchie himself hadn't come out and said it's now his "preferred position" to play left wing back.

Someone else told me this, but was it actually Ritchie himself saying it, or did it come from the media? I'd like to see where he says it himself if he does.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/17481235.newcastles-matt-ritchie-revelling-in-left-wing-back-role/

Yeah I think some are harsh on him, really not sure he's deliberately not passing to Almiron, just think he's not super bright and so isn't thinking about the pass when he should be. I think he's been fantastic for us over the last few seasons especially the championship but he is ultimately too slow to be a class premier league winger.

I think he gets a bit of a harsh deal on here, reminds me of the shit Jonas used to get. He's limited, but I reckon we'll miss him when he's not in the team with our current squad.

Completely depends on who replaces him.

I can see us missing him if we persist with WBs and Dummett is still our only LB by next season.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: howeh. He'll end up in the Nolan category imo.

Odd comparison considering Nolan was a brilliant player for us when played off a striker. :lol: