Sam Allardyce

Thespence

Does anybody on here actually think that Allardyce would have taken us down in 08-09 with the squad we actually had that season?

Maybe, maybe not.  But I don't believe Kinnear or Shearer would have either.  Maybe even Hughton given the whole season could have kept us up.  We got relegated because of our manager leaving, another coming in, another replacing him and then having a heart attack, the second man coming back then a third replacing him for only the last 8 games.  Sacking Allardyce didn't force Ashley to make the most unbelievable mess of a clubs management team in the history of Football.

I think a lot of the fan's backlash against Allardyce was because of the way we played, as opposed to results. But folk now are trying to spin it as if it we weren't getting the results either. We were certainly getting enough to stay up, althought the Derby games are very powerful ammunition against that.

I think a lot of the fan's backlash against Allardyce was because of the way we played, as opposed to results. But folk now are trying to spin it as if it we weren't getting the results either. We were certainly getting enough to stay up, althought the Derby games are very powerful ammunition against that.

The performances were so bad you couldn't see where the next points were coming from. Even though it was a win, the Fulham game was atrocious, never seen us play so badly and get three points. Wigan and Liverpool in particular were horrific, need say no more about the Derby game. We had a good start which means the points stat misleads you when looking at the direction we were heading in. At the time I thought we were staying up but I think I'm more level headed about it now and looking just at how we were playing in terms of our ability to win it looks like we could well have gone down to me.

Guest firetotheworks

This.

I most definitely questioned both the way we played and our results.  We had the easiest start to any season I can remember and got 17 points from those 9 games.  I remember news reports about our best start for however many years and saying to a friend (as well as on here) that when you actually took the time to look at the teams we'd played and were we'd played them it wasn't impressive at all.  That as soon as we started playing decent teams we'd be in trouble under him.  We then got 9 points from his next 12 games, that was relegation form and I said as much on here.

As people have said though, 2 wins in 14 isn't 'getting results' and with the games he had coming up who's to say it wouldn't be 2 wins in 20+?

Keegan himself didn't manage any wins in those first few games. I'm not suggesting we would have done any better away to Arsenal or Villa or at home to Man U but we'd have taken points against the likes of Bolton, Boro, Blackburn, Reading, Sunderland and Fulham imo.

This.

Easy way to prove that then isn't there, search back through the forum.. :)

Far too much of this arguement comes down to pure speculation tbh. But i'm pretty confident that Allardyce would have comfortably got us past the 40 point mark.

Without doubt but as others have said the rot had set in, I am not sure if  he could of turned it around.

As people have said though, 2 wins in 14 isn't 'getting results' and with the games he had coming up who's to say it wouldn't be 2 wins in 20+?

Keegan himself didn't manage any wins in those first few games. I'm not suggesting we would have done any better away to Arsenal or Villa or at home to Man U but we'd have taken points against the likes of Bolton, Boro, Blackburn, Reading, Sunderland and Fulham imo.

I know he didn't and remember I didn't say he DID save us.  I'm just not sure Allardyce would've have won those games, and then after that would he be able to motivate the players to beat the weaker teams.  You've got to bear in mind as well that Keegan quite radically changed our style/structure etc. would Allardyce have changed things around?

Maybe chucked Faye upfront?  :shifty:

Those first 8 games included Arsenal (a), Villa (a), Manure (h) and Liverpool (a) though.  Of the other four that were actually winnable we got 3 draws and one loss, not great but not that terrible for a manager who was trying to change the way the whole side played amidst some very difficult and morale sapping fixtures.  Once he did sort them out we went on to get 14 points from the next 6 games which made us safe.  I just couldn't see Allardyce getting 17 points from those 16 games given the difficulty of them and how absolutely abysmal he'd made us.

You can't base the probability of us staying up that season on the points gained at the time he left.  We'd played nearly all of our easy games by the time he'd left and we were not winning them.  Our last 10 games under Allardyce brought us 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats and 5 of our next 10 league games were against very good teams.

Oh, c'mon Allardyce wouldn't have taken us down. Ashley, Wise, and Kinnear took us down. Without the front office incompetence, the turmoil, lying, and broken promises, the poor management of Kinnear/Shearer, the poor attitude of team leaders (our captain), and some key injuries (Barton), we wouldn't have gone down. Everything went wrong and the club went down--just barely.

Allardyce would never have taken us down.  He would never really move us forward either.

You can't base the probability of us staying up that season on the points gained at the time he left.  We'd played nearly all of our easy games by the time he'd left and we were not winning them.   Our last 10 games under Allardyce brought us 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats and 5 of our next 10 league games were against very good teams.

Easy games? We had plenty 'easy' games left when Allardyce was sacked tbh.

Blackburn had 4,000 tickets for tonight and only sold just under 2,000 of them. That's a club with some problems, and I suspect the "disconnect" between Allardyce and the fans is at the heart of it.

Fair play to their fans tonight, though, for singing "Heskey's shit, my Lord, Heskey's shit" to the tune of the Paul McGrath song, which was very funny.

Only for us to sing later "Heskey's scored my Lord"

Fair play to them, those that came were good value.

As easy as Derby?  The worst team in Premiership histor took 4 points off us, that was out of a total of 11 points and they got them under Allardyce.  Which games do you think we would we have won or drawn under Allardyce if we'd kept him?

Oh, c'mon Allardyce wouldn't have taken us down. Ashley, Wise, and Kinnear took us down. Without the front office incompetence, the turmoil, lying, and broken promises, the poor management of Kinnear/Shearer, the poor attitude of team leaders (our captain), and some key injuries (Barton), we wouldn't have gone down. Everything went wrong and the club went down--just barely.

Allardyce would never have taken us down.  He would never really move us forward either.

Same question to you, in your opinion, which games would we have drawn or won under Allardyce?

As easy as Derby?  The worst team in Premiership histor took 4 points off us, that was out of a total of 11 points and they got them under Allardyce.  Which games do you think we would we have won or drawn under Allardyce if we'd kept him?

As I said a couple of hours back, the Derby games are powerful ammunition and it was only a matter of time before someone used them as such.

We had some good results under Allardyce, as some want to forget. I've listed the games I think we'd have won or at the very least drawn under Sam.

What's your thoughts on oneill atm brum? I know you wernt his biggest fan earlier in the season?

He's got some pretty iffy faults.

Tactically, he's pretty dodgy. He's predictable in his transfers, if the way we play doesnt work, we just keep on doing it, you can time his substiotutions to the minute, he's got a weird fixation will full backs and out of position players, we go through spells of playing awfully, but then start performing again.

He's incredibly frustrating, but no matter how annoying he is, he's hard to dislike.

You certainly can't argue with his results.

Blackburn had 4,000 tickets for tonight and only sold just under 2,000 of them. That's a club with some problems, and I suspect the "disconnect" between Allardyce and the fans is at the heart of it.

Fair play to their fans tonight, though, for singing "Heskey's shit, my Lord, Heskey's shit" to the tune of the Paul McGrath song, which was very funny.

Only for us to sing later "Heskey's scored my Lord"

Fair play to them, those that came were good value.

Suprised 2k made the effort after the 1st leg no show.