Football governance

Nobody

I hate this big 6 bullshit like. Man Utd and Liverpool are the only standouts. City and Chelsea bought their way to the top, something that can be emulated at so many other clubs with the right ownership, ourselves included. So say our takeover goes through, in a few seasons its a big 7 then? Its bullshit. And as for Spurs and Arsenal, what have they achieved? Arsenal haven't won the league in 17 years and have never won the European Cup, they can't even qualify for it these days. Spurs haven't won a major trophy in decades and they have only been a Champions League team in recent history. These are the breakaway clubs for a new super league?

Liverpool and Man Utd have done the business for decades and have massive worldwide support. The rest can be created with the right ownership, the wrong ownership and it all goes away, just look again at Arsenal.

Arguments could be made that at this point Leicester City have replaced Arsenal as a 'big 6' club. Obviously history and the likes, honours et cetera will be used to counter this but there's clubs elsewhere in the football pyramid which could stake a claim against the likes of Spurs.

And I suppose that if we got taken over we would make it a 'big 7', or just seemingly replace one of the current clubs in there. Unfortunately the narrative of the 'big 6' will always have those clubs resonate in people's minds when hearing the term.

• 2 weeks later...

So basically it keeps the status quo of the usual suspects to qualify for the champions league even if they have a poor season. What if say Leicester for example finished 5th but Man Utd and Chelsea 6th and 7th do Leicester miss out? Absolutely stinks and shouldn't even be considered. I'm starting to hate the Champions League anyway. Awful

Absolutely lifting that mind. So if you finish 5th or 6th but haven't played in the champions league you'll not get in. But if you finish 7th and have played in the champions league in the last 5 years, you're in. Absolutely stinks.

It's only English clubs that have any beef over not being in Europe, and will be kicking up a fuss to EUFA or pushing for a European league. Rest of Europe seems fairly content with the basis of you have to perform in the league to get into the Champions League.

But now with the added money in the PL, there's increased competition on the top places, you can bet Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal are worried - worried they'll be missing out on the CL cash cow, not worries about not being competitive or improving. Intitled wankers.

If the likes of Arsenal are missing out on the Champions League there's only one answer - get better, and stop being mid-table.

Goes to show how badly our proposed takeover will have gone down. Suprised they let City join their club to be honest.

I really wish I had less interest in football, it's such a fucking repulsive setup now. You shouldn't need to be taken over by a state to have a realistic chance to compete for honours, but the total capitalisation of the sport has brought it to this.

The odd league that does things properly, such as the Bundesliga has to watch their best players cherry picked by teams competing in a cash rich league sold as a better product, proped up by billion pound TV deals. Yet somehow those leagues are less accessible than ever for the average punter.

It's the fucking pits.

The Champions League would be much better as a knockout competition like it used to be. The group format is as stale as Steve Bruce's tactics. It only exists to create more games (and more $) and to ensure that the big clubs get through to latter parts (because they can afford an off day or two). Think how much more exciting it would be if Juventus could draw an away game to FC Sovietgrad Mentalists in the first round. A bunch of fucking radgie Slavs putting the shits up Ronaldo because they know they the next 90 minutes is shit or bust. That's exciting football.

It's only English clubs that have any beef over not being in Europe, and will be kicking up a fuss to EUFA or pushing for a European league. Rest of Europe seems fairly content with the basis of you have to perform in the league to get into the Champions League.

But now with the added money in the PL, there's increased competition on the top places, you can bet Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal are worried - worried they'll be missing out on the CL cash cow, not worries about not being competitive or improving. Intitled wankers.

If the likes of Arsenal are missing out on the Champions League there's only one answer - get better, and stop being mid-table.

Load of shite. It’s all the ‘biggest’ and greediest clubs throughout the leagues, all wanting to protect and grow their future income at the expense of the alleged smaller clubs.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-man-utd-face-grilling-23440473

But now with the added money in the PL, there's increased competition on the top places, you can bet Chelsea, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal are worried - worried they'll be missing out on the CL cash cow, not worries about not being competitive or improving. Intitled w*****s.

Load of s****. It’s all the ‘biggest’ and greediest clubs throughout the leagues, all wanting to protect and grow their future income at the expense of the alleged smaller clubs.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-man-utd-face-grilling-23440473

My point is more the likes of Barca and Real in Spain, and Bayern or Juve in Germany and Italy don't have to kick up so much of a fuss for a European League - those teams are always going to be finishing in qualifying places. They'll obviously go for it, as it makes perfect sense on a corporate level.

England, we have more teams that could feel vulnerable to being squeezed out. Arsenal spent years playing in CL, now struggling to even get in Europe. Man United, years finishing top few positions, now CL isn't guaranteed. Man City have come along, Spurs improved, now teams like Leicester and Everton posing a threat - English clubs are the ones with the stance of entitlement pushing harder for a Super League. Man U and Liverpool are owned by Americans that can't get their head around the European make up of having to be continually competitive to be at the top table - not just a rite of passage you can pay for like a franchise model.

Juve, Real, PSG, Barca, Bayern, even Atletico and Dortmund don't have the same fear of missing out. 

I get what you’re saying. I think it’s Bayern who said they don’t want to be involved in any ‘Super league’ as they understand what it would mean for the lower teams. Unfortunately, here in England, the ‘Big 6’ are motivated purely by the cash signs, and less (or not at all) about the thought of ruining the game as a whole and potentially driving other clubs to the wall. Whether this is because of foreign ownership purely in it to make cash, I don’t know. I haven’t taken much interest in other Euro leagues since the 90’s/00’s in all honesty, but it’s pretty damning on the likes of Real given their (usual lack of) challengers each year, to be pushing for this super league in the supposed manner they are. It’s greed, pure and simple. Those at the top stay top and fuck the rest, no matter that 20 years down the line there either won’t be anyone else, or people will be so disheartened with the same shite the ‘super’ league will have fallen by the wayside itself.

Genuinely think I wouldn't watch a single match of any proposed Super League out of principle, but also because I'm not sure I'd care enough.  The CL has already lost much of its appeal for me, so can't see myself being particularly excited by it.  Might even call my actions a boycoutt.

CL has already become a defacto Super League anyway, hasn't it? The level of competition in the group stages within recent years has been fairly minimal thinking off the top of my head. Been quite groups done and dusted early on, dead rubbers, and the usual bigger groups making their way through. The same names always seem to feature in the Quarters, certainly the Semis over the last 5 or so years,

What I can take seriously, and angers me the most is the temerity of clubs like Manchester United, and likely Arsenal if they publicly start pushing for it. Man United didn't make it through into the knockouts this year, and haven't been far from a mainstay in the competition let alone the latter stages for 10 years or so now. Their far from a European giant in a sporting sense any longer.

It's sad that your seeing football just being bypassed as a sporting entity. Champions League in principle is a competition for the best and 'elite' of Europe, to get to compete at that level you have to prove your good enough through league performance. That's what Man United should be most worried about; and once there, show your worth and not drop out at first hurdle.

The money the English clubs have available to them against many teams we've seen to get to the latter stages recently is vast. Mid 2000's to early 10's English clubs dominated and were always featuring in finals/semis, but since the huge deals have been injected into the PL and finances have rocketed, English clubs have really failed to pack a punch at all - and you have to question what on earth have they been doing with their money.

Can’t remember what I was listening to the other day about the whole Super League and polarising of money but they made the incredibly valid point that isn’t it so transparent that at Sevilla are never mentioned.

It’s not at all, the groups are yes but no one cares about that unless something funny like Man Utd getting knocked out happens.

The standard of the last 8 is the best it’s ever been over the last few years even if for the old school fan it’s gash as it’s largely the same cloobs but even recently with Ajax and Spurs breaking the mold saw some of the best game in a long time.

Then yes, you say big cloobs have more clout than ever and a world audience that more and more support players and narrative rather than individual cloobs which is a takeaway and a huge neg but saying it’s poor is utter shite.

The charm of the CL used to be for me that teams from lesser leagues also made it. It's why I much prefer the Europa League today, I want to watch weird teams play football and sometimes create upsets. I don't want to watch the same teams play eachother every year.