Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lineker’s on one about VAR on Twitter tonight.

This is fair enough, but he works for two broadcasters who are part of the reason VAR is used in the first place. If the likes of MOTD & BT Sports didn’t micro analyse every decision to the nth degree, show every incident and offside in super slo-mo from loads of different angles, using their own graphics with their own lines trying to prove if it’s offside or not for instance, then maybe VAR wouldn’t have been needed.

Should make an agreement with the various football bodies, they’ll stop with all that if VAR is scrapped. Show a replay once in real time, give an opinion, then get on with it.

Lineker’s on one about VAR on Twitter tonight.

This is fair enough, but he works for two broadcasters who are part of the reason VAR is used in the first place. If the likes of MOTD & BT Sports didn’t micro analyse every decision to the nth degree, show every incident and offside in super slo-mo from loads of different angles, using their own graphics with their own lines trying to prove if it’s offside or not for instance, then maybe VAR wouldn’t have been needed.

Should make an agreement with the various football bodies, they’ll stop with all that if VAR is scrapped. Show a replay once in real time, give an opinion, then get on with it.

:thup: Rory Smith was on about this the other day.

I’m massively anti VAR but for the broadcasters you reap what you sow.

Imagine if all new technology was scrapped after not working perfectly within 4 months :lol:

VAR will come good. It will never be perfect but it will be miles better and fairer than the refereeing we've had up until now.

I'm bored senseless with it now. Almost irrespective of how well it does or doesn't work, every frigging week it's a major talking point and it's tedious as fuck. I don't see how that will change either, even if it does become more functional; the margins are so fine and the majority of infringements are - to an extent - subjective. VAR exacerbates the issue by pouring over matters which are ultimately just borderline. I watch a tiny amount of rugby but more often than not the referee is basically the top cast member and I'm worried about football going that way too; it's abysmal for the spectacle.

They've had it in the Bundesliga for a couple of years, haven't they? Is it any less insufferable over there now?

Come on over to our side Nut.

I’m getting there. :lol:

I’m now of the opinion where if we’re using it for offsides, let the referee or whoever’s watching the replay see it once in real time. If he can’t call it offside, give the goal.

Agree with that. Go over to the screen, watch it and see if it's clearly offside.

Aren't lineman being told to keep their flags down though? So not sure how you measure it corrects more than without it. That's without going into the debate about the quality of the camera pixels, straight lines etc

Well i don't know the figures but with a replay it's obvious they are going to get more right than wrong, yes there's been a few that have been almost too close to call, but they are in the minority.

I wouldn't be against using it for offsides only, as everything else is too much a matter of opinion.

Aren't lineman being told to keep their flags down though?

That's what I thought, but in one of our games (around September I think) Almiron was clean through about 45 yards out and got flagged and the ref blowed. Replay showed him about two feet onside.

Good day for VAR.

My favourite bit was when Mings felt like he couldn't celebrate a goal until the guys in the office watched it in microscopic detail 14 times.

My favourite bit was when the linesman incorrectly ruled out Iheanacho's goal and then VAR overruled them and the goal was correctly rewarded with massive celebrations on the Leicester bench

Good day for VAR.

My favourite bit was when Mings felt like he couldn't celebrate a goal until the guys in the office watched it in microscopic detail 14 times.

My favourite bit was when the linesman incorrectly ruled out Iheanacho's goal and then VAR overruled them and the goal was correctly rewarded with massive celebrations on the Leicester bench

Spoils celebrations though apparently.