Joelinton

Stifler

A lot of people raved about Seb Haller, who was a lot more productive in Germany. Thoughts on his season with West Ham so far?

Out of interest would you say he is a bust or is it due to the circumstances at West Ham so far, who have been as rubbish as we have?

I only asked because I have been shocked by Haller's situation at West Ham.

I thought he was an absolute stud, and a cert to do well. We would have all been thrilled if we had signed him instead.

Just goes to show though, how hard it is to evaluate a player if the team is crap. If Haller was in the current Man united team for example. I imagine he would be linking up with Rashford Martial and James really well. Think he's class.

I thought he was an absolute stud, and a cert to do well. We would have all been thrilled if we had signed him instead.

Just goes to show though, how hard it is to evaluate a player if the team is crap. If Haller was in the current Man united team for example. I imagine he would be linking up with Rashford Martial and James really well. Think he's class.

Haller still scored 4 times as many goals as Joelinton though. I've not seen enough of him to comment fully, but he's at least scored at a 1 in 3 level.

Joelinton isn't even getting in goal scoring positions, that is the problem. I think being a target man is a diffuclt job the way we play, can't see Carroll or Gayle looking any better from their sub appearances so far. Bruce needs a big bruising centre forward like Carroll of old, if Ashley really wants Bruce as boss, he should sell Joelinton and bring in someone who will be comfortable fighting for long balls.

Haller still scored 4 times as many goals as Joelinton though. I've not seen enough of him to comment fully, but he's at least scored at a 1 in 3 level.

Hasn't scored in the last 6 games, and has scored 1 in the last 10 games.

He was dropped from the team on Saturday.

There’s more to it than just suiting a system. It’s a totally different culture and climate to what he would have had experienced. Germany does get cold too so I know it’s not just that.

You’d wonder if he was getting the support from his team mates, language seems to be an issue too. It might just be a case of needing time.

If I was picking the team, I’d move Miggy into the middle playing a more traditional no.10 role. All Shelvey or Longstaff would have to do is play straight passes through the middle and let him run at defender. Joelinton out a little wider on the left and ASM pretty much doing what he’s doing now (which is whatever he wants seemingly) and I’d bring Gayle in up front as he can actually score given chances.

Someone at the back would have to make way to accommodate an extra forward player

Joelinton isn't even getting in goal scoring positions, that is the problem. I think being a target man is a diffuclt job the way we play, can't see Carroll or Gayle looking any better from their sub appearances so far. Bruce needs a big bruising centre forward like Carroll of old, if Ashley really wants Bruce as boss, he should sell Joelinton and bring in someone who will be comfortable fighting for long balls.

Totally agree with this in bold.

There seems to be a bit of a clammer for Gayle to start games but this system is not suited to him at all. The ball will come back even quicker than when Joelinton is playing.

Gayle is a fox in the box. He's useless outside of the oppositions box. That's not his game.

For Gayle to work in Steve Bruce's NUFC then the pasty monster will have to change systems.

There seems to be a bit of a clammer for Gayle to start games but this system is not suited to him at all. The ball will come back even quicker than when Joelinton is playing.

Gayle is a fox in the box. He's useless outside of the oppositions box. That's not his game.

For Gayle to work in Steve Bruce's NUFC then the pasty monster will have to change systems.

That's what happened on Saturday. Gayle was leaping as high as he could to try to win headers, but he's pretty small so was never going to work. Carroll can't even get off the ground these days, just ends up falling over when he tussles with a defender. There's probably a better way to make use of the players we've got, but Bruce hasn't got the first idea what to do other than pat the players on their arses and gee them up from the sidelines.

That's what happened on Saturday. Gayle was leaping as high as he could to try to win headers, but he's pretty small so was never going to work. Carroll can't even get off the ground these days, just ends up falling over when he tussles with a defender. There's probably a better way to make use of the players we've got, but Bruce hasn't got the first idea what to do other than pat the players on their arses and gee them up from the sidelines.

Yeah exactly. And this Joelinton fella, I see Caulkin etc suggesting play him wide left of the forward which I just can't see at all. He's not fast, can't thread a ball, doesn't seem to have a trick, can barely score goals. I don't see what he brings to the team out wide at all.

This transfer requires investigation. Same agent as ASM?

At least we can rely on the local press to push this angle and ask all the right questions though............... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Think Gayle has been unlucky with the teams and more importantly the managers he has been with when in the premier league.

I could see him being used the way Pukki has been at Norwich and having much more success than he has up to now in the premier league.

He should have done everything to join Leeds and Bielsa this past summer, and looked to come up and feature with them next year.

Think Gayle has been unlucky with the teams and more importantly the managers he has been with when in the premier league.

I could see him being used the way Pukki has been at Norwich and having much more success than he has up to now in the premier league.

He should have done everything to join Leeds and Bielsa this past summer, and looked to come up and feature with them next year.

Agree, I’m surprised how few people seem to think anything of him. He’s not top level of course, but he’s a decent player and sharp finisher.

Agree, I’m surprised how few people seem to think anything of him. He’s not top level of course, but he’s a decent player and sharp finisher.

Still think he would have had a relatively good season for us, first one after promotion, if he hadn't got that injury.

End of that season he was missing genuine sitters. One thing he has is scoring goals and if he’s not doing that then he’s no use. Think Rafa saw that and combined with the injuries he was always going to be let go. Seem to remember a couple of the games when Slimani played in particular.

End of that season he was missing genuine sitters. One thing he has is scoring goals and if he’s not doing that then he’s no use. Think Rafa saw that and combined with the injuries he was always going to be let go. Seem to remember a couple of the games when Slimani played in particular.

Oh aye, without a doubt. but his injury left him short of pre-season training and his lack of sharpness, coming in, really affected his confidence. He was never going to match the likes of Aguero but with a good start to the season he could have got 12-15 goals.

All purely incidental now, like.

Slimani literally started 1 game for us. 131 minutes overall :lol:

He did, but in that one game he showed what a difference a striker with some pace and presence can make. That said, our football had a bit more purpose at that time, we weren't winging high balls at a 5'9 striker.

Was it Huddersfield or Southampton at home (maybe both) where he came on and caused chaos. Apart from the WBA cameo where he got the ban he pretty much did what Carroll is supposed to be doing now in his couple of games.

He did well at home to Arsenal too - played a big part in the winner!

If you look at his thread he had a few good cameos off the bench but was poor in the one game he started. This isn't a dig at Slimani, I just think it's pointless bringing him up as he played less than 1.5 games for us in total