Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

In his very 1st competitive game in charge of us Bruce failed to give the players instructions when making a sub, this lead to Willems being out of position which lead to us conceding and ultimately losing the game. Brice at the end of the game came out and said it was Willems fault for not taking the order and passing it on to the team. This was Willems first competitive match for us.

18 months later Steve Brice brings on Matt Ritchie who has only recently came back into the team for a period of time off. Ritchie allegedly fails to pass on the instructions to the team partly because he doesn’t get a chance too, partly because it was too many for a player to pass on to the team. This leads to our players being out of position which leads to us conceding a goal. Steve Bruce comes out and blames Matt Ritchie and others for the error.

What has Steve Bruce failed to address after 18 months?

It's worse than that as well, remember the Sheffield United game when he blamed his players not understanding his instructions (as if that couldnt be fixed within 5 minutes with instructions from the bench of play higher up). Either he's lying through his teeth (probably) or he can't communicate instructions to players somehow (also probably).

Sometimes you have coaches with fairly complex tactical instructions and it is difficult for players to understand, and they need intelligent players who are capable of adapting on the fly etc. Other coaches have less complicated tactics and thrive on clarity of instructions to players and don't believe in overburdening them with instructions  (Clough was apparently the master of this, his players rarely got told anything complicated to do and yet it all slotted together when he was successful). With Bruce we have the worst of both worlds. A manager with no interest in complicated tactical instructions but also completely unable to communicate something basic like 4-4-2 to the squad. Quite frankly I am amazed he is capable of language at all now as it seems to elude him when he needs it.

Jenas spouting off in The Chron again - in support of cabbageheed.

The Chron were just reporting what he said on 5Live as far as I can see? He was wittering on about how difficult the press is up here, with two papers that are Newcastle daft and 'get their teeth into something and don't let go'. So still laughably missing the point - given this story came from a national tabloid and the Chron are notoriously soft these days - but not an outright defence of Bruce, though I dare say that came later in the 5Live chatter. Nigel Pearson on the other hand was harping on about what a good bloke he is and what a partisan club this is.

The reality, of course, is that it's only 'partisan' (if the quiet acceptance of mediocrity from 40-50,000 matchgoing supporters is 'partisan') when you've got horrendous wallopers like Souness, Pardew and Bruce bringing the status and reputation of the club into disrepute, invariably accompanied by horrendous performances and results on the pitch.

Just more patronising and snide commentary being delivered by mainstream pros who think they have a broader understanding of the situation because they stank-up the place themselves for a couple of years. Whatever.

Why is it that other clubs are allowed to be demanding places to play, fans have high standards and can be tough to play for at plenty of clubs in the county. (What they always miss whilst focusing on the negative, is that SJP and Newcastle can be incredibly special place when team is going well, when players are putting effort and performances in)

All across Europe you’ve got far more vitriolic fans than we could ever be, and far tougher press. In England West Ham, Everton fans, Spurs are always demanding despite winning bugger all for ages - nobody tells them to get in line and check their expectations.

We’ve been in CL and Europe more than both Everton and West Ham combined in last 20 years, even West Ham have had couple relegations. There allowed to run onto a home game, protest about the Dildo brothers and moan like fuck when their down the bottom of the league each season.

Fed up of hearing that us wanting better for our club is a bad thing. Expectation is a good thing, and it’s what I hate about Bruce so much - that he is part of the cabal that is conning us into thinking we don’t deserve better, and we aren’t allowed to want to improve.

I honestly believe the mole is Bruce himself. He’s that fucking thick he’s probably chatting away on the phone to his missies for all to hear about what’s going on and how badly he’s done by.

I honestly believe the mole is Bruce himself. He’s that fucking thick he’s probably chatting away on the phone to his missies for all to hear about what’s going on and how badly he’s done by.

Oh aye, wouldn't be remotely surprised if he actually did leak the Darlow thing to Edwards and is just flat out lying.

He’ll be here as long as Ashley is around and/or up to his contract. If new owners ever come in he’s bound to be gone first set of bad performances. Whether that’s Championship or PL.

Had hope that he’d go for a couple of days when the pressure seemed at its peak month or so ago, but resigned to him staying.

Just hope to fuck we don’t get relegated, I don’t think there is any chance us bouncing back if we drop this time. Could be a while down there, and decade or more of even more misery.

The Chron were just reporting what he said on 5Live as far as I can see? He was wittering on about how difficult the press is up here, with two papers that are Newcastle daft and 'get their teeth into something and don't let go'. So still laughably missing the point - given this story came from a national tabloid and the Chron are notoriously soft these days - but not an outright defence of Bruce, though I dare say that came later in the 5Live chatter. Nigel Pearson on the other hand was harping on about what a good bloke he is and what a partisan club this is.

The reality, of course, is that it's only 'partisan' (if the quiet acceptance of mediocrity from 40-50,000 matchgoing supporters is 'partisan') when you've got horrendous wallopers like Souness, Pardew and Bruce bringing the status and reputation of the club into disrepute, invariably accompanied by horrendous performances and results on the pitch.

Just more patronising and snide commentary being delivered by mainstream pros who think they have a broader understanding of the situation because they stank-up the place themselves for a couple of years. Whatever.

I actually think there's a fair dollop of unconscious bias stacked against us when it comes to football writers and commentators. IMO they probably think the north east is a rough and ready place, and we should have a muck and nettles manager to match. Would explain why they were furious we didn't like Allardyce or Pardew, and now Bruce. Yet they seemed to hate that Rafa was so popular with his intelligence and football insight. I think they feel we should have a Harry Bassett type manager and it gets their goat that we expect something too sophisticated like tactics and flash football.

I actually think there's a fair dollop of unconscious bias stacked against us when it comes to football writers and commentators. IMO they probably think the north east is a rough and ready place, and we should have a muck and nettles manager to match. Would explain why they were furious we didn't like Allardyce or Pardew, and now Bruce. Yet they seemed to hate that Rafa was so popular with his intelligence and football insight. I think they feel we should have a Harry Bassett type manager and it gets their goat that we expect something too sophisticated like tactics and flash football.

Don’t think it’s really that to be honest, media where pretty accepting of Keegan and the entertainment he offered up. Never brought into there ever being any agendas in media reporting, but last 12 months have shown there is just a cowardism across pundits to call out and critique Bruce because he’s obviously well liked in the ‘football world’.

Add to that most of these rent-a-gobs are employed on the back of their personalities, and simply playing the game counts automatically as being knowledgeable, analytical and considered in the opinions they form. None of them watch Newcastle each week, so just fall back on lazy fence sitting punditry like he’s doing a good job etc etc good bloke.

Henry Winter is as far from muck and nettles as you can get, and he gets it. No agenda, just across the board mindless rent-a-gobs that won’t dare say anything to edgy as it might offend someone.

Then you’ve the problem that Keane and Neville, two pundits who do tell it how it is with accuracy played with Bruce and obviously going to see things differently as they have a personal relationship with him. Even Carra made a quip the other week when they showed a clip of Neville and Bruce getting rinsed- Neville said Bruce should have been covering, but Bruce was at turtle pace and striker tan behind Neville - and Jamie said ‘that’s the closest You’ve ever come to criticising Steve Bruce!’

"..We would like to win but it is not a must-win.."

"..Can we go there and get a result? It would be great if we can, but we can only do our best.."

I mean jesus wept that is sad

Don’t think it’s really that to be honest, media where pretty accepting of Keegan and the entertainment he offered up. Never brought into there ever being any agendas in media reporting, but last 12 months have shown there is just a cowardism across pundits to call out and critique Bruce because he’s obviously well liked in the ‘football world’.

Add to that most of these rent-a-gobs are employed on the back of their personalities, and simply playing the game counts automatically as being knowledgeable, analytical and considered in the opinions they form. None of them watch Newcastle each week, so just fall back on lazy fence sitting punditry like he’s doing a good job etc etc good bloke.

Henry Winter is as far from muck and nettles as you can get, and he gets it. No agenda, just across the board mindless rent-a-gobs that won’t dare say anything to edgy as it might offend someone.

Then you’ve the problem that Keane and Neville, two pundits who do tell it how it is with accuracy played with Bruce and obviously going to see things differently as they have a personal relationship with him. Even Carra made a quip the other week when they showed a clip of Neville and Bruce getting rinsed- Neville said Bruce should have been covering, but Bruce was at turtle pace and striker tan behind Neville - and Jamie said ‘that’s the closest You’ve ever come to criticising Steve Bruce!’

Henry Winter is the wrong example mind, he's had a soft spot for us from the Keegan days. He's also one of the football writers who thinks Newcastle is a special place, he really buys into it being one of the best football cities in England, whereas a lot of the media pundits seem to resent that idea.

He's well liked as he's a rent-a-gob. He'll happily tell you stuff behind closed doors or appear on your show when he's between jobs and talk shit.