Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

He's fucking class. Hard to rate him amongst our keepers as most have always had issues. Given was an amazing shotstopper and had a reasonable all round game. Pav was good but he wasn't amazing he was a loveable bastard though.  Krul had all the potential in the world but Pards fucked him.

I think we've been pretty lucky with keepers over the years. Given seems to have been underated more and more as time goes on. He was absolutely class for ages like. There wasn't many better than him in the league during his time here. Harper was more than competent too, very lucky to have him as a backup. Krul was good for the majority of his time, though sadly went off the boil later and now Dubravka is very good. The last few years of Sels, Darlow, Elliot has been a bit of an anomaly.

I understand there is a lot of nostalgia with Srnicek, I never seen him play in his first spell but reading behind the lines, he was largely inferior to his rivals at the time and a blatant weak link in the best of the 90's sides that we had.

He's fucking class. Hard to rate him amongst our keepers as most have always had issues. Given was an amazing shotstopper and had a reasonable all round game. Pav was good but he wasn't amazing he was a loveable bastard though.  Krul had all the potential in the world but Pards fucked him.

I think we've been pretty lucky with keepers over the years. Given seems to have been underated more and more as time goes on. He was absolutely class for ages like. There wasn't many better than him in the league during his time here. Harper was more than competent too, very lucky to have him as a backup. Krul was good for the majority of his time, though sadly went off the boil later and now Dubravka is very good. The last few years of Sels, Darlow, Elliot has been a bit of an anomaly.

I understand there is a lot of nostalgia with Srnicek, I never seen him play in his first spell but reading behind the lines, he was largely inferior to his rivals at the time and a blatant weak link in the best of the 90's sides that we had.

aye Pav was canny - the most likeable of all the keepers we had but he wasnt close to Given's class.

Aye that’s spot on.  Pav was a canny keeper but he was a level below what we needed.  I’ve always said Schmeichel was the difference between us winning the league and not winning the league.  If we’d had David Seaman or Tim Flowers i think we could’ve won it comfortably in ‘96.

Great keeper.

But....

He point blank refuses to release it early. Few times yesterday he could easily have released it to players already running. He didn't. He waited til all their players got back into position.He does it almost routinely now. For a counter attacking team it's utterly stupid he doesn't release it asap.

This is Rafa's instructions to him.

When he first came he would often release it early. It was a real breathe of fresh air, and potentially an overlooked aspect of our upturn in form last Feb. It's definitely been knocked out of him now mind.

Great keeper.

But....

He point blank refuses to release it early. Few times yesterday he could easily have released it to players already running. He didn't. He waited til all their players got back into position.He does it almost routinely now. For a counter attacking team it's utterly stupid he doesn't release it asap.

This is Rafa's instructions to him.

When he first came he would often release it early. It was a real breathe of fresh air, and potentially an overlooked aspect of our upturn in form last Feb. It's definitely been knocked out of him now mind.

I'm guessing its coincided with Shelvey being out of the team. He was the guy that was always there to collect the quick release

Guest firetotheworks

Aye that’s spot on.  Pav was a canny keeper but he was a level below what we needed.  I’ve always said Schmeichel was the difference between us winning the league and not winning the league.  If we’d had David Seaman or Tim Flowers i think we could’ve won it comfortably in ‘96.

That's probably right, but Cantona too. In hindsight there are a couple of other changes that I'd have made as well. I'd have kept Ruel Fox and he'd have probably given us more width on the right when Gillespie was injured, I'd have had a better striker than Kitson to back up Ferdinand, I'd have gone for a better 'keeper than Shaka, and I'd have gone for Colin Henry at the same time as buying David Batty. Massively looking a gift horse in the mouth though obviously.

100% right

Even a Bosnich or Martyn imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't blame him too much the ball was rising fron Son's shot but it dipped last minute and he was obviously expecting it to hit his hands. Real time it would be impoosible to correct himself properly when it started to dip.

I think he’s probably been our best and most consistent player since signing. But I don’t think he was unlucky. Any keeper at this level should be saving that and it’s an absolute howler. It may have dipped and been struck well. But it is straight at him. The odd fuck up has creeped in the last few months, but I still think he’s superb overall.

Ultimately he’s cost us a point. But seems harsh to put the loss on him, though. Spurs missed some right sitters.

I think he’s probably been our best and most consistent player since signing. But I don’t think he was unlucky. Any keeper at this level should be saving that and it’s an absolute howler. It may have dipped and been struck well. But it is straight at him. The odd fuck up has creeped in the last few months, but I still think he’s superb overall.

Ultimately he’s cost us a point. But seems harsh to put the loss on him, though. Spurs missed some right sitters.