Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Given had his big fuck up early on with us iirc, the Dion Dublin sneaking up on him from behind like a leopard incident, but seemed to get mentally stronger and more assured from it.

Aye. Shay the only Irishman who didn’t know where Dublin was.

A knaa a knaa. The owld ones are the best.

:p

The games where Given was most at risk was after the Chelsea 1-1 and Troyes 4-4 where he dropped a couple of clangers. The talk was Harper would be in for the derby but Bobby stuck with Shay and he was immense.

Er, didn’t Given threaten Bobby with a transfer request after Harper got a spell of more games than Shay liked?

He’s building back to his form of last season. Superb at his best.

It was a shaky start for the whole squad which can’t have been helped by all the turmoil over the summer.

Hopefully the international break isn’t coming at the wrong time.

This guy is probably my favourite player for Newcastle, he shouts his head off every game and actually commands the back 4. Solid buy.

I’d love to know who scouted him for us and whether there is somebody in particular responsible for ‘defensive’ scouting. We’ve done well with Lejeune, Fernandez, and Schar as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

interesting listening to them talking about his positioning for the goal last night, on the surface it looked off but in the lead up to the goal they'd been winning the first header quite a lot and looking for knockdowns into the box from vokes to wood to run onto...they almost connected not long before and i think he was looking to be higher up to get the jump on any knockdowns

vokes just happened to nail the header :/

The ball is played in from nearly halfway, and Dúbravka is on the six yard line at that point. As the ball comes in he retreats a yard as he comes across - there’s nothing wrong with his positioning or footwork here. Sometimes, goals get scored.

Having said that, I thought Clark could have challenged better, but there you go.

The ball is played in from nearly halfway, and Dúbravka is on the six yard line at that point. As the ball comes in he retreats a yard as he comes across - there’s nothing wrong with his positioning or footwork here. Sometimes, goals get scored.

Having said that, I thought Clark could have challenged better, but there you go.

Poor all round, I thought.  Dubravka looked flat footed and perhaps the positioning wasn't the best.  Clark dropped off to go with Vokes, yet let him get a run on him and out-jump him.  Schar had dropped to play him onside, regardless.

That said, it's not often someone scores a header like that from the edge of the box :lol: so we might just be being overly critical as it was so undeserved.

Not sure their goal can go down as a goalkeeper 'howler'. Sure when the shot comes in he was too far off his line - but who is reasonably expecting a player to score from there & in that situation? Vokes had no right and it was a great header, I feel like Dubravka's starting position was in anticipation of a ball into the box and 9 times out of 10 nothing comes of that bit of play.

His save from Wood 5 minutes later was brilliant :thup: