Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Boss Rafa Benítez added: “Dúbravka is a Slovakian international goalkeeper, and he is someone with some experience. He will need to settle down quickly as he is a player coming from abroad, but he is very agile and he can play with his feet.

“He will give us some competition in goal, and that is what we are looking for.”

Newcastle United sign Martin Dubravka on loan

Newcastle sign Martin Dubravka on loan© SilverHub

By Barney Corkhill, Assistant Editor

Filed: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 23:56 UK

Last Updated: Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 00:04 UK

Newcastle United have completed the signing of goalkeeper Martin Dubravka on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old joins the Magpies on a temporary basis from Czech side Sparta Prague, with the option to turn the move into a permanent one at the end of the campaign.

The Slovakia international only joined Sparta last summer, but he will now compete with Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot for the number one spot at St James' Park.

"I feel amazing. This is a big step in my career and also in my life," Dubravka told the club's official website.

"You can feel the energy of the people around the club. I will try to work hard, and show that I deserve to be here."

Manager Rafael Benitez added: "Dubravka is a Slovakian international goalkeeper, and he is someone with some experience. He will need to settle down quickly as he is a player coming from abroad, but he is very agile and he can play with his feet.

"He will give us some competition in goal, and that is what we are looking for."

Dubravka could make his debut for Newcastle during Sunday's Premier League clash with Crystal Palace.

Could be a vital signing really, Darlow has been ok lately but we've needed a true number 1 for a while, if this lad fits that description, it really could be a signing that can keep us up.

Let Dúbravka save the ball

(Limbs)

Make it happen. Don't let it drown in a pool.