Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Guest neesy111

League 1 standard.  Up there with some of the worst shite ever posted on this forum.

He's got talent but clearly he needs more games and more belief in himself.

:lol: players can't just be a bit shit these days. They have to either be Premier League quality or be not good enough an arbitrary league several echelons below where they'd quite blatantly be the best player in the division by light years.

League 1 is the current favourite, a division where the likes of Ivan Toney and Marcus Maddison are pissing it but 12m Jacob Murphy who was class in the Championship would struggle.

Guest Howaythetoon

I like him, and I think he needs a run in the side. He's always needed an extended run in the side. Seems to me like a confidence player.

League 1 standard.  Up there with some of the worst shite ever posted on this forum.

He's got talent but clearly he needs more games and more belief in himself.

Bang on from both. If he were to play every game from now on I reckon in time he would give us more going forward than Ritchie would and has or rather hasnt. He has certain attributes we would benefit much more from in attack, the team in general and certain individuals.

But Rafa obviously values what Ritchie guarantees every game off the ball tactically and defensively more than anything else, things Rafa doesn’t need to keep at him to extract or work on him to get out of, which he will have to do with Murphy at this stage.

I can see the dilemma he faces, especially as that side of Ritchie’s game does help us a great deal off the ball, but it’s something Rafa prioritises over on the ball and attacking stuff which Ritchie is capable of on his day, but those days are few and far between.

I honestly feel Murphy has more to his game on the ball than Ritchie does, but we aren’t going to see that all too often if he’s coming on off the bench or gets a start here and there.

Off it, he can do what Ritchie does in time with the help of Rafa, but even then the priority should be what he can do going forward and the more he does and the better he does the less he will be required or depended on off the ball defensively.

We will only find out if he gets a run in the team and again I think he’s the one player we have who doesn’t start many games worth giving a try. I fear that will only happen due to an injury to Ritchie, however.

You can’t just write him off though and put him down as a League One player, not when he hasn’t had a chance to show what he can do which he can only do with a run of games. It’s unfair to expect he does something great or plays a blinder coming off the bench or when he gets a rare start, least of all write him off when that doesn’t materialise unsurprisingly.

Let’s be honest, even some of those that start every game haven’t exactly showed any class or are performing well going forward, not our attacking players away. If the best thing you can say about Ritchie after a game is how hard he works, how much he does off the ball, and how passionate he is, then Murphy just needs to match that.

Nah, sorry but we need a bit more on the ball and in that respect I’d wager Murphy over Ritchie would score more, create more, be more of an outlet and more of a general threat to the opposition if he had the kind of run in the side he has had.

Needs to play and be told to go and express himself and enjoy it and not worry as he;ll be playing the next few games as well with no fear of being dropped.

Needs to be praised and boosted by his manager and he'll gain confidence and prove he's a decent player with a lot of pace.

Guest neesy111

Don't rate him but hes been managed awfully by Rafa IMO, the rare times he does contribute something like a goal or assist hes almost always immediately dropped, how will he ever progress? If there is more in there we'll never see it unless we have a huge injury crisis.

This.  I don't think rafa is good with young players tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

Quite possible that Rafa's just rotating and told him he'll be needed in another match rather than him being flat out dropped.

There appears to be no plan for him - it's really disappointing.

He was the only midfielder to provide any cutting edge on Wednesday and is then completely dropped. Yes, he didn't light it up over the course of the game and was poor in the second half, but I'd rather have a midfielder that can provide a bit of quality once or twice in a game as opposed to Atsu who, while he looks neat in spurts, rarely does anything productive.

• 4 weeks later...

I think once he starts performing over 90 mins he will earn more starts.

Bit of a contradiction there like?

When he has started, he hasn't made much impact is another way of putting it if that's any clearer.