Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

His end product is underrated, definitely made to look worse by the taties he's passing to. He's pretty good for getting his head up and looking for a team mate when he's in dangerous areas.

Yeah, was a moment in the first half where he got to the byline, pulled back a beauty but it was behind one forward and just too far in front of the second forward. Wasn’t even bad play from the players in the box in that instance, was just unlucky.

Just makes you think how different it could have been even with the 5-2-3 if you’d have ASM and Almiron on their natural sides. Also think Joelinton would have scored more goals like the one yesterday if they had been like that all season. It’s the sort of ball that we don’t put in unless it’s the wing-backs that high up.

He set up Almiron for that chance he should have scored too.

He looked very effective on the right yesterday which surprised me a bit

It forces him to get balls into the box rather than always look for his shot as he tends to do on the left hand side.

As Optimistic Nut just said, isn't it appalling that all those weeks we played the 5-2-3 that we never saw Almiron on the left and ASM on the right?! Disgraceful really.

Guest Carrick18

Should have got an assist yesterday but for Almiron squandering a chance. It's also worth noting that he started the move for Joelinton's fluffed one, and his eventual goal.

The thought of him in a better side with a talented manager.  :love:

On TV ASM looked to be limping off from the stands after the game  (maybe just stiff legs).

Hope did didn't pull anything.

I thought he copped a bang in the second half and looked a bit proppy - but that's probably my paranoia playing up.

If that's all it was, though, hopefully it's little more than some bruising

I mentioned earlier in the thread how I was surprised at how good his decision making in the final third is and how good his final ball is, as the reports from France seemed to suggest he was a great dribbler and not much else. He just looks a fantastic player to me - final ball is excellent, knows when to pass, happy to play other players in, good shot on him, works hard, tremendous strength and pace and dribbling ability. He's mint.

He's better in general play than I expected him to be.

He’s surprised me a lot, he is far stronger than he has any right to be, he doesn’t waste possession and rarely gives the ball away, runs all day and isn’t scared to stick a leg in. And when it matters he’s picking the right option more often than not, and I was led to believe he was a headless chicken.

Guest chopey

ASM and Rafas solid defence are the reason we are where we are.

Here he is, it's chopey. All bright eyed and bushy tailed. How excited are you now for this takeover? Did you have a good birthday weekend?

Yes fine thankyou, but ill yesterday after my zoom birthday party that went into the early hours of Sunday, looking forward to good news and good weather this week

He set up Almiron for that chance he should have scored too.

He looked very effective on the right yesterday which surprised me a bit

It forces him to get balls into the box rather than always look for his shot as he tends to do on the left hand side.

As Optimistic Nut just said, isn't it appalling that all those weeks we played the 5-2-3 that we never saw Almiron on the left and ASM on the right?! Disgraceful really.

Yep. You can still cut in from the left and shoot with the left too (see Ritchie’s goal). I’d like to see us keep that 4 for the rest of the season, look to upgrade on Ritchie & Joelinton in the summer.

For me my favourite thing is he puts pay to the whole idea that a really good widemen offensively has to sacrifice tracking back and be quite lazy defensively. ASM always keeps the team shape and continues to be a threat. I wouldn't even class him as a Maverick. He just happens to have that level of talent.

For me my favourite thing is he puts pay to the whole idea that a really good widemen offensively has to sacrifice tracking back and be quite lazy defensively. ASM always keeps the team shape and continues to be a threat. I wouldn't even class him as a Maverick. He just happens to have that level of talent.

Maverick doesn't necessarily equate to problematic or dismissive of responsibility tbf.

I remember him signing with a "dog chasing a balloon" reputation, but he is seriously talented and, relative to the rest of the team, also pretty effective.

Also supposedly had an attitude problem, which is nonsense because he seems to have the best attitude of any player we've had for some time.

I remember him signing with a "dog chasing a balloon" reputation, but he is seriously talented and, relative to the rest of the team, also pretty effective.

Also supposedly had an attitude problem, which is nonsense because he seems to have the best attitude of any player we've had for some time.

Honestly, I find it quite amazing that he had that reputation. It makes no sense based on what we've seen from him so far. Quite extraordinary.

Honestly, I find it quite amazing that he had that reputation. It makes no sense based on what we've seen from him so far. Quite extraordinary.

the closest thing to this supposed attitude problem he allegedly has was a report in the press he had a falling out with Bruce before lockdown but not seen any evidence that was remotely true since