The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Guest Howaythetoon

I've never been much of a fan of Sterling, but I thought today he played a blinder.

That moment where he tried to flick it to a team-mate rather than try and finish is what separates him right now from the elite level currently occupied - by some distance - by the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Mbape et al. I know he probably wouldn’t have finished it, but he needed to at least try and the odds it going in over the odds of finding a team-mate is neither here nor there. He’s a great player though and if his finishing was 15-20% better he’d be right at that elite level. Great game, City are awful at the back and Liverpool are going to take some stopping, they have it all and can play however they want in terms of mixing up style of play. I’m glad they won over City, they are more likeable as a team, with a more likeable manager and they are doing it the proper way rather than the bought way of Man City, who are owned by detestable individuals from a detestable ‘state’.

Guest Howaythetoon

Thought Gini was great tonight, his value/qualities come out in games like this and his performance highlights just why he’s a key player for Liverpool. Against lesser/weaker opposition he/his game is not as necessary, but given the quality of Salah, Mane et al, it doesn’t really matter.

City will always enjoy lots of possession, cause problems, create chances and give anyone a game, but their football isn’t as fluid, as quick or as penetrating as it was last season and that defence individually and collectively is very suspect. They don’t - as a team- appear to have that little bit extra left in the tank as a reserve to call on either in terms of stamina/fitness. Could they be burnt out?

They also lack the ability to adapt and change their game plan/style and tactics enough to overcome any serious challenge or obstacle thwarting or succeeding against how they do play, their style and their tactics. Liverpool have that and in abundance, from the manager to individuals and even to players who they can bring on.

I wouldn’t rule City out though, they are a machine and it’s all about how Liverpool handle the pressure, being chased and getting past the finish line. Winning the CL has turned them into winners, hungry, full of belief and battle hardened. They want this and they will, for me, not let this slip now.