Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Fucking hell. Didn't expect it to hurt seeing him score wearing someone else's colours, but it did.

Aye, hurt me as well. And you just know his replacement will be worse.

“Replacement” :memelol:

Fucking hell. Didn't expect it to hurt seeing him score wearing someone else's colours, but it did.

Aye, hurt me as well. And you just know his replacement will be worse.

Shouldn't have booed him then.

I wasn't. I was shouting "boo-urns".

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve said many a time he could step up another level, I think the Perez on and off the ball we got to see so well after Almiron joined where he was much more free going forward from the kind of defensive overwork he was so often weighed down by, a whole lot more now. Or rather Leicester fans will :(

They have a whole host of neat and tidy players, good passers and they will have more possession than not, his runs, pressing and his kind of technical finishing will thrive a lot you’d think. Good on him, I hope he smashes it! Easily my fave Toon player probably since Ashley took over. Not the best, but my fave and pound for pound probably one of the best players we’ve signed in the modern era. 

• 3 weeks later...

It isn’t the family feel that has convinced Perez to swap football-mad Newcastle for the calmer surrounds of Leicestershire. Perez said he enjoyed five years on Tyneside but felt that the club lacked the ambition to fulfil its potential and the departure of Rafa Benitez as manager became the final straw.

Perez is a driven individual, even turning down Barcelona and Real five years ago to join Newcastle because of his ambition to be a success in the Premier League. “It is true,” Perez says. “Their second teams wanted me to sign for them, but I had better options. Playing for the second team meant I would stay in the second division, the Championship, but I had a couple of choices, Newcastle and Porto.

“I made a decision to come to the Premier League because when I was young I used to spend the weekends watching either the Premier League or La Liga. I had that feeling that it could be a dream come true to play in the Premier League. I made that decision. Now I can say it was the right one.

“I have good memories of my time with Newcastle. I wasn’t professional when I signed for them, so they gave me everything I needed as a footballer and I can’t thank them enough in terms of they made me professional. They gave me everything they could and I spent five magnificent years there.

“Honestly, it is a great crowd. A nice place to live and I could live it from the inside. It was a great moment. They were very passionate. It was very enjoyable.

“If I am honest, there was an opportunity to leave after we were relegated to the Championship, but it didn’t happen. I had the chance when Spurs were interested. We were talking a little bit if they were going to sign me, but in the end it didn’t happen and I started the season with Newcastle.

“I felt I had to take Newcastle back to where they belong, so I stayed. It was a tough year in the Championship, to be honest, but we made it straight away back to the Premier League, where they belong.

“Rafa was key. He was a big factor when he stayed at the club. I knew we were going to be great playing under Rafa, and we were. We made it back as champions. The next two seasons after that were great as well.”

However, Benitez’s shock departure in the summer was the final straw for Perez, who admits he had already decided the time was time to move on himself.

“It was a big factor, but also I felt it was time for a change and a new challenge,” he says. “In this case Leicester gave me such a great opportunity to come here. The ambition of the club and the way they are doing the right things was very important in my decision. Also, as soon as Rafa left the decision was easier.

“Rafa and Brendan Rodgers, they are two great managers. They are different but they both see football the way I like it. I had a conversation with him [brendan] before I signed, what I heard and the way he wants to play football is very important. We all know how good a manager he is but after that meeting it was easier to make the decision and I am very happy to be playing under him. I can’t wait to get started.

“Things could be done better over there at Newcastle, but Leicester have given me the opportunity to do great things hopefully. There is big ambition. I think how football works, the way you have to look at football, that is the difference between Leicester and Newcastle. There is big motivation here to keep growing and to get better here at Leicester. I didn’t feel they had it at Newcastle.

“That is why I signed here and made the decision. I am very happy to be part of the family.”

You could read that two ways. Perez hasn't fulfilled his ambition by joining a big club, Leicester are hardly a glamour club, let's face it.

But on the other hand, he's probably right, they are more ambitious than us, so it's still a step up. How sad is that?

It's a massive step up in terms of ambition.  I think any of our players would jump at the chance to move to a Leicester type club over stagnating up here with Steve Bruce.

Looking forward to seeing Perez' celebration against us.

You could read that two ways. Perez hasn't fulfilled his ambition by joining a big club, Leicester are hardly a glamour club, let's face it.

But on the other hand, he's probably right, they are more ambitious than us, so it's still a step up. How sad is that?

"probably right"

It's a massive step up in terms of ambition.  I think any of our players would jump at the chance to move to a Leicester type club over stagnating up here with Steve Bruce.

Looking forward to seeing Perez' celebration against us.

It's hard for me to see Leicester as a big club, but the sad thing is I can't really argue with him calling them more ambitious. Before Mike Ashley I would have considered them a step down.