Jamal Lewis (on loan at Watford)

joeyt

I thought he was decent last week and hung out to dry yesterday. Did himself no favours but a few times he followed Trossard’s run (natural for the full-back in a four to do that) but Lamptey was tear arsing on the overlap with no one following him. If he left Trossard each time he’s free on goal in an even more dangerous position. Was on a hiding to nothing.

I think 3-4-3 is the way forward anyway tbh. Full squad I’d go with

Dubravka

Fernandez

Lascelles

Schar

Manquillo

Lewis

Take your

Pick

Rotate Fraser, Almiron & ASM

Wilson

The fact we’ve got shot of Lejeune though suggests there’s no intention of that being the main system. Particularly the way it should be played at least.

We've seen Bruce's version of the 3-4-3 though.

Huge gaps between defence, midfield and the forwards.

The front three not playing close together, but instead way too wide.

Wilson will end up isolated and weary just like Joelinton did.

His version last season was horrendous. He didn’t play the ball playing centre-backs so the wing-backs and central midfielders were having to drop deep to collect the ball. That meant ASM & Almiron had to drop deeper for them to then pick up possession from those...which meant Joelinton was often isolated with no-one within about 30-40 yards of him.

It's going to be a painful season.

Bruce thinks tactics are farcical and so no matter how he sets us up it's not going to work too well, because there are no instructions or directions attached.

The best way for us to line-up absence of any tactics under Bruce, is to just have ASM, Almiron and Fraser behind Wilson, as it gives Wilson a trio of quick, tricky players in and around him.

That should allow us some results just by virtue of those 4 players being on the pitch together when going forward.

The comments from Norwich fans does look about right.  He looks weak as fuck and gets shoved off the ball a lot.  Certainly does seem a bit suspect defensively.  I'm sure that'll improve with time and good coaching......... :lol: 

Looks pretty decent on the ball and will provide width going forward.  Whether we manage to see enough of the ball or keep it for more than 5 passes to utilise this, I'm not sure. 

Bit hard to have a go at him for how awful he was positionally against Brighton.  As the whole team were all over the place.  Surely we didn't just have 14 players that all had an off day?  Of course the narrative will be they don't try or want to play for the shirt.  Not that the manager is not putting them in a system that gives them a chance to succeed on the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Won't really make a meaningful difference with the way Lewis has played so far.

Course it does, just the fact Lewis being able to get up there and support ASM means opposition can't double up on him as easily.

"He’s gone to have a scan on his ongoing Achilles niggle, but it’s nothing to worry about. It’s improving.

"He mightn’t be able to play the two games so quickly, so it’s something I felt Newcastle had in mind for the player anyway."

Not 100% out of the Man Utd match like.

He's still got a lot of rough edges, but would like to think he'll get better with more experience in the Premier. Not the finished article by any means, but it's not like we have much better options.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought he was better today, although still gave the ball away sometimes. That said, pretty much all of our team do it, I think it is more down to lack of movement from team members which leads to that.