Fabian Schär

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/newcastle-united-sign-fabian-schaer

Newcastle United sign Fabian Schär

Newcastle United have completed the signing of Swiss international Fabian Schär on a permanent deal from Deportivo La Coruña.

The defender – who has signed an initial three-year contract – becomes the Magpies’ fourth acquisition of the summer, following the permanent arrivals of Martin Dúbravka and Ki-Sung Yeung and the loan capture of Kenedy.

Schär played in three of his country’s four games at the recent World Cup in Russia, helping the Swiss to progress from Group E – along with Brazil – before missing their last-16 defeat to Sweden through suspension.

He made 25 appearances for Deportivo in La Liga last season, having moved to the Spanish outfit from 1899 Hoffenheim a year ago.

The 26-year-old said: “I’m really happy to be here. The club is a really big club for me. It has a big name, and it is a brilliant chance for me.

“I’m not like a typical defender. I, of course, defend, but I’m quite good with the ball – I like to play, I want to build up the game from behind, and I think that is a strength of mine. I have also scored some headers – that could also be a strength and hopefully I can use it here.

“I hope to start training with the team soon, and I’m looking forward to everything that’s coming. At the moment, I just want to get started.”

Manager Rafa Benítez added: “I’m really pleased to welcome Fabian to Newcastle United. He is an international, did well in the World Cup and has great experience.

“He adds competition in this position and that is a positive for the team.”

Schär – who has played 42 times for Switzerland all told – started out with hometown club Wil 1900 before linking up with Champions League regulars Basel in 2012, where he helped the RotBlau to a hat-trick of Swiss Super League titles.

He has already had a taste of playing at St. James’ Park, having turned out for the Swiss against Gabon in the 2012 Olympics’ football tournament.​

He's been given a number straight away. Odd as usually we don't give them one till we announce the squad list.

because we're not signing anyone else who is going to take the #5 shirt, is the obvious answer, and none of the current are switching.

My Depor supporting mate rates him and he usually doesn't even refer to defenders as footballers.

Said he's a very good passer and overall a reliable defender. Not very powerful but often wins headers. He started well at Deportivo but towards the middle of the season made several stupid mistakes and apparently it affected his confidence. Said he was probably their best defender but it's difficult to judge how good he really is, because their whole team had an awful season :lol:

Guest chopey

Over the top SD advertising !! almost as though they are doing it to prove a point, Muto will probably arrive on a red SD cusion carried by Charnley.

Really like this guy's profile as a player. Still young enough for a centre back to improve too.

Think it will prove to be a really good signing in a similar vein to LeJeune, but at an even greater value for money.

Hard to find fault with Mbemba out and Schar in whilst turning a few million profit in the process when you look at it in isolation. Mbemba wasn't going to make any contribution this season realistically and this lad almost certainly will, in some ways he's like an extra free player. The lad hasn't had any say in the low fee and he's presumably buzzing at the move and every single one of us want him to settle and do well.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I'm quite happy with Mbemba out and Schar in. We don't need a starting centre half ("wanting a Ferrari" was a fucking immensely shit analogy btw) and now Clark has been pushed down by a guy who seems able to step in and start when needed.

Whilst we obviously need starters, we've proved we can sign more than one player at a time, so upgrading the team (while making a profit and freeing up wages) can only be positive, and we don't have to worry that Charnley is taxing himself.

And before anyone starts, the only reason I care about profit and wages is because I hang on to the desperate hope that, by scraping coppers together, Rafa will fashion us a miracle. And this transfer is a (tiny) step towards that.

He's been given a number straight away. Odd as usually we don't give them one till we announce the squad list.

because we're not signing anyone else who is going to take the #5 shirt, is the obvious answer, and none of the current are switching.

I honestly thought Lejeune would take it.