Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Guest firetotheworks

His entire philosophy is centred around improving players, so suggesting that he stumbled upon Longstaff contradicts that really when we already know that he knows all of the players at all levels at NUFC. It might have been a gamble, but what isn't when bringing new players in?

If you want examples of other players - Lascelles, Dummett, Diame, Hayden, Perez, Rondon have all improved immeasurably under Rafa.

Maybe I don't understand the point you're trying to make, so apologies up front if that's the case, but:

Lascelles - Was a young player that got a chance due to injuries/suspesions similar to Longstaff

Dummett - Already a first team player

Diame - Bought by Benitez

Hayden - Bought by Benitez

Perez - Already a first team player

Rondon - Loaned by Benitez

I fail to see how Benitez has done anything more than getting lucky that Longstaff took his chance when it coincidentally presented itself.

I'm not saying Benitez was unaware of Longstaff, as evidenced by him being on the bench for a few matches before he was subbed in at the end of December against Liverpool, but it is clear that he didn't think he was good enough to start, and was prioritized a head of others on the bench as well.

I agree that Benitez is a good coach that improves/gets the best out of his players, that's not my point at all and not what I'm contesting.

I believe there is a difference between “making players performing well under his system” and “improving players”.

Whilst many people here believe it’s the latter, most of my Liverpool friends hold the view that it should be former.

Guest firetotheworks

Maybe I don't understand the point you're trying to make, so apologies up front if that's the case, but:

Lascelles - Was a young player that got a chance due to injuries/suspesions similar to Longstaff

Dummett - Already a first team player

Diame - Bought by Benitez

Hayden - Bought by Benitez

Perez - Already a first team player

Rondon - Loaned by Benitez

I fail to see how Benitez has done anything more than getting lucky that Longstaff took his chance when it coincidentally presented itself.

I'm not saying Benitez was unaware of Longstaff, as evidenced by him being on the bench for a few matches before he was subbed in at the end of December against Liverpool, but it is clear that he didn't think he was good enough to start, and was prioritized a head of others on the bench as well.

I agree that Benitez is a good coach that improves/gets the best out of his players, that's not my point at all and not what I'm contesting.

You could just as easily argue that it was only a coincidence that other players were out at the same time as Longstaff was ready if you're going down the speculative route. Particularly as the only evidence we have is that Rafa had brought him into the first team when there were still other experienced midfielders available.

Besides Colback which he fell out with and Saivet that none of our managers have ever rated, what other more experienced central midfielders was he favored ahead of before the Blackburn/Chelsea matches? What makes you assume he would have gotten a chance if all of our central midfielders were fit and not on international duty?

As I said a few posts above, Benitez himself said Longstaff was lucky to get a chance due to injuries :lol: Go watch his post match interview after the Burnley match.

Guest firetotheworks

Besides Colback which he fell out with and Saivet that none of our managers have ever rated, what other more experienced central midfielders was he favored ahead of before the Blackburn/Chelsea matches? What makes you assume he would have gotten a chance if all of our central midfielders were fit and not on international duty?

As I said a few posts above, Benitez himself said Longstaff was lucky to get a chance due to injuries :lol: Go watch his post match interview after the Burnley match.

But you were talking about Rafa being lucky, not Longstaff. He can be lucky to get the opportunity without Rafa being lucky that it worked out. If Rafa was lucky then he was lucky in the sense that he kept him from going out on loan and put him in the first team because he saw something in him and then started him when he could have changed formation back to 4231 and brought in Kenedy, Murphy, Muto, or put Ritchie and/or Perez in midfield.

But you were talking about Rafa being lucky, not Longstaff. He can be lucky to get the opportunity without Rafa being lucky that it worked out. If Rafa was lucky then he was lucky in the sense that he kept him from going out on loan and put him in the first team because he saw something in him and then started him when he could have changed formation back to 4231 and brought in Kenedy, Murphy, Muto, or put Ritchie and/or Perez in midfield.

Longstaff was lucky to get a chance, and Rafa got lucky that Longstaff turned out to be our best central midfielder. Many talents have emerged due to luck, and many talents have been squandered due to bad luck.

If Rafa knew that he was our best midfielder, surely he'd be playing earlier same way as f.ex Almiron went straight into the side when he arrived.

Guest firetotheworks

Longstaff was lucky to get a chance, and Rafa got lucky that Longstaff turned out to be our best central midfielder. Many talents have emerged due to luck, and many talents have been squandered due to bad luck.

If Rafa knew that he was our best midfielder, surely he'd be playing earlier same way as f.ex Almiron went straight into the side when he arrived.

I don't think he's our best midfielder (not based on 9 games anyway), so I'm not sure where to go from here :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Please come back better and hungrier and claim the midfield spot as yours next season. Only got to see 2-3 games where he played this season, but looks like he has the tools and seemingly the attitude to become something really special for this club.

Please come back better and hungrier and claim the midfield spot as yours next season. Only got to see 2-3 games where he played this season, but looks like he has the tools and seemingly the attitude to become something really special for this club.

100%. He was basically one of our best players when he had that run in the team, and think we'd be a few places higher up the table had he stayed fit. Also fuck Snodgrass man!

• 3 weeks later...

Not a chance Man Utd would be interested in him, and if they were after a player like him then they would go for Rice who West Ham have pretty much confirmed is for sale.

Player contract renewals are postponed until Rafa’s situation is clear, including Longstaff’s. SSN just trying to make a story out of it.