Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

He's too small to be effective IMO, no surprise he got sent off against Sheffield, he was struggling to keep up with the game. Great delivery though, just don't think we'll see it very often because he'll get run down like so many of our players of this type in the past. Don't know why we keep buying players who aren't built for football at this level.

Looks worse for us than he did for Bournemouth, just like Ritchie actually, because they actually played football by passing and moving. For us you need to be able to beat 2 or 3 on your own to look good at all.

Seem to remember a lot of what he did at Bournemouth was a result of him getting played in behind the FB. Something we categorically can't and don't do.

Not sure what his size has to do with it tbh. He may or not be a success here but he has proven he can play in the premier league.

Same issue Colback and Anita had, smaller stride means it takes a lot more effort to keep pace with those who have longer stride. He's very quick over short bursts, so if he gets in behind he will do damage, but he's not going to win any races on the halfway line.

To be fair to him his not played a lot of football by missing the end of the season with Bournemouth last and being injured most of this season. Once he gets match fit I think the the sustained pace will come back.

Not sure what his size has to do with it tbh. He may or not be a success here but he has proven he can play in the premier league.

Same issue Colback and Anita had, smaller stride means it takes a lot more effort to keep pace with those who have longer stride. He's very quick over short bursts, so if he gets in behind he will do damage, but he's not going to win any races on the halfway line.

What are you on about?

You do realise he's been an established Prem winger for a few seasons now?

What are you on about?

You do realise he's been an established Prem winger for a few seasons now?

Well I've pretty much broken it down in detail over two or three posts, what part of it don't you understand? I said he has good delivery, he's got good acceleration over short bursts, but you really need him to be playing in the last third of the pitch to be effective. When he's having to track back and then he's making runs from deep he's going to get caught because over longer distance players with a bigger stride are going to catch him.

Disco pointed it out that he's most effective when he's played in behind a full back and for that he needs to be playing further up the pitch.

I’d play him right side, Almiron left, Wilson up front. When ASM is back rotate between Almiron & Fraser. Some games there’s no reason you can’t play all 4 with Almiron in the number 10 role.

Pretty what most said at the start, we never saw it did we?

• 3 weeks later...

7 chances created by him on Tuesday. The most this matchday outside of the ‘big 6’. Second highest was Grealish with 4. Think he’ll end up being the most ‘productive’ of the attacking midfielders in the long run.

Really hope this was the case. I was very excited that we picked up him. He was underwhelming at first, but he's clearly getting fitter and more involved. Fraser, Almiron and ASM really feels a dangerous combo.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to be a killer if Almiron is out for a long while. But seems ASM will be missing a few games, at least.

Obviously I‘d much rather both of them started. But Fraser’s crossing ability, especially from dead balls. Might come in handy. I suddenly feel like our corners cause a bit of panic and a free kick in a crossing position might actually result in a chance.

His delivery is exceptional, looks like he can get goals as well. We are going to have to find a formation where he is deployed in the final third where he can do some damage. Hopefully with us pushing up a bit more under Jones' guidance that will happen rather than him struggling at left back like he effectively was in Bruce's park the bus formation.