Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Legend.

Hate the disrespect he gets on this forum at times.

:thup: :thup:

A local lad who knew what it meant to play for this great football club, when we could have played for any other team in the world.

The injury at Goodison meant we didn't get enough of him at his absolute best (last 2 seasons at Blackburn when only Ronaldo was a better striker in the world around those years up to 97) but still the greatest English striker ever produced and watching him play for us for 10 years was an absolute privilege, and to still manage 206 goals was phenomenal.  I don't care about the he should have retired a year or 2 earlier argument, seeing him get the record and watch him score his last goal for us while we thrashed those lot on their own manor was worth it.  A perfect ending for an absolute legend.

Don't buy in to this he stopped some amazing Kluivert/Bellamy partnership either.  Other than Palace, can anyone name a couple of games where they looked the business together?  Still scored more than Bellamy ever did for us in a season when he was 35.

Even tried to step up and take charge to stop us from going down, knowing the risk of failure, that's how much he cares about this club.

Growing up an absolute hero to me and many others.  Happy birthday Al.

Legend.

A local lad who knew what it meant to play for this great football club, when we could have played for any other team in the world.

The injury at Goodison meant we didn't get enough of him at his absolute best (last 2 seasons at Blackburn when only Ronaldo was a better striker in the world around those years up to 97) but still the greatest English striker ever produced and watching him play for us for 10 years was an absolute privilege, and to still manage 206 goals was phenomenal.  I don't care about the he should have retired a year or 2 earlier argument, seeing him get the record and watch him score his last goal for us while we thrashed those lot on their own manor was worth it.  A perfect ending for an absolute legend.

Don't buy in to this he stopped some amazing Kluivert/Bellamy partnership either.  Other than Palace, can anyone name a couple of games where they looked the business together?  Still scored more than Bellamy ever did for us in a season when he was 35.

Even tried to step up and take charge to stop us from going down, knowing the risk of failure, that's how much he cares about this club.

:thup: No one would complain if Carroll had done even 1/10th of what Shearer did for us. He's go no craic when he's on TV? So what.

Legend.

Spot on.

Shearer joining Newcastle in 1996 was probably the high point in the club's years in the Premier League.

He could have joined Man U when they were winning everything and would undoubtedly have picked up a barrow load of medals with them had he done so.

The fact that he chose us was a tribute to KK's selling power, an illustration of how highly we were regarded at the time and proved that Shearer WAS a true fan of the club. Regardless of what he says, he must slightly regret not having won more silverware in a career that well deserved to and because of his injuries after joining us - especially the one at Goodison in that 1997 pre-season game - he never really showed us his best after that season out because it took half a yard off his pace. It is a credit to him that he altered his game to cope with it and still became a club legend by virtue of his goals for us.

Unless we are taken over by a VERY rich person/group, we will never ever see a similar world-beating transfer at St James' Park...Shearer is as much a part of the club's fame as were Jackie Milburn and Supermac although Milburn brought the club the FA Cup and Macdonald was arguably the most exciting CF I have seen in a B&W shirt because of his pace.

We were lucky to have him - Happy Birthday, Sir Alan..!

• 3 months later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-shearer-not-looking-managers-6399414

By Lee Ryder

Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer not looking for a manager's job

12 Dec 2013 13:11

Legendary Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer says he is not looking to get back into football management

Alan Shearer says he is not looking to get back into football management.

The legendary Newcastle United striker and the club’s all-time top scorer took charge in the 2008/09 season with eight games to go with Joe Kinnear’s United already deep in trouble.

Shearer was keen to take the job after the Magpies were relegated into the Championship but Mike Ashley did not offer him the chance to do so despite holding talks.

Shearer told BBC Newcastle: “I love my job and know I’m lucky to have it. Could I see myself returning to management? Probably not.

“First of all, I would say I am enjoying my media work as much as ever,” Shearer said.

“But also, you have to remember I have been out of the game for over four years now.

“The longer you’re out of the game, the more difficult it is to get back in and management is not something I’m looking to do.”

Shearer's changed his tune regarding wanting a management job hasn't he? Did he do his coaching badges?

Less stress. He did the business as a footballer and if the passion isn't there don't do it. He'll be fondly remembered forever as a legend and the only management stint he had was his attempt at saving us from relegation...

Imagine if Dekka and MA called him over the summer and appointed him like they said they would?

I've heard countless stories about him being egotistical, arrogant etc etc but as a footballer the bloke gave me more joy and raw passion for NUFC and where I'm from than any other player. For that he'll be my favourite NUFC player for a long, long time.

Sorely missed and rightfully idolised for what he did here, can never fault the guy for the passion he always had for us. Though he is to blame for my infatuation with NUFC and for that lifetime of pain he needs to be held accountable!

It's a sad indictment that we'll probably never see anything of his kind in the foreseeable future.

Maybe he could've been a decent manager one day. I guess we'll never know. Don't hold him in any way responsible for whatever happened in 08/09. Damn those who were responsible for letting it transpire in that way. 

Like he sort of said, the longer he's out of the game the less likely it'll be that he'll return to management.

I remember Hansen saying many years ago, when he was still being linked with the odd post, that it would be impossible for him to take a job in football. He'd criticised that many folk and was seen as a know it all, so if he was anything less than perfect as a manager he'd be laughed out of town.