Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Think it's been said but another example there. Commentators/pundits praising players for not diving. Fucking hell man.

"Oh he could have gone down there, but well done to him for staying on his feet." Knob off.

Aye. It's the same when they praise players for being 'honest'. Yeah, well done for not cheating.

When Sky pick really shit matches to be televised.

Wigan v Wolves the early kick off on Sat ffs.

Aye when they pick top4 vs top4 its always a cracking match...usually 0-0 or if were very lucky an amazing 1-0.

You just never know, could be a good game of football, quite evenly matched.

0-0 no shots on target written all over it now i said that.  :laugh:

Think it's been said but another example there. Commentators/pundits praising players for not diving. f***ing hell man.

"Oh he could have gone down there, but well done to him for staying on his feet." Knob off.

Any player who doesn't fall down when contacted in or around the box is an idiot.

*Unless you can create an easy scoring chance or have a yellow card.

:facepalm:

Fair point. However, I know that when I am watching or playing football, the goal is to win. If there is contact in a dangerous area and the player stays on his feet, it is likely that he is depriving his side of a set piece opportunity. It is simply the smart decision in the situation. This is why players do it. If referees gave out red cards, called fouls when players didn't fall, or were better at deciphering dives, then players would stay on their feet. In the current situation, anyone who doesn't fall is actually hurting their team.

Fair point. However, I know that when I am watching or playing football, the goal is to win. If there is contact in a dangerous area and the player stays on his feet, it is likely that he is depriving his side of a set piece opportunity. It is simply the smart decision in the situation. This is why players do it. If referees gave out red cards, called fouls when players didn't fall, or were better at deciphering dives, then players would stay on their feet. In the current situation, anyone who doesn't fall is actually hurting their team.

We know it's smart, and we know why players do it - but it's still cheating.

Aussie Rules tops are called guernseys btw.

Mate its fucking cheating and it ruins the game.

END OF.

Mate its fucking cheating and it ruins the game.

END OF.

:thup:

Baba tells no lies IMO. If the refs grew nuts/competence, then it wouldn't happen, but they're shit and therefore it'll be a part of the game until something major changes in the way that footy is refereed.

Baba tells no lies IMO. If the refs grew nuts/competence, then it wouldn't happen, but they're s*** and therefore it'll be a part of the game until something major changes in the way that footy is refereed.

That's like saying it's OK to steal sweets from the corner shop, as it's the shopkeepers job to catch you and stop you.

In my opinon, until the league (and the media) starts calling out the cheaters and divers and making as big a deal about it as forums like this do, nothing will change. It has to come from within the player, and I'm not expecting them to become saints because it's the right thing because we know they have no moral core, but that they are afraid of being outed as a cheat.  Think about a game of footy with your mates, and someone was always diving, you'd give them grief in the pub about it later.

If there was post game replay and player fines/suspensions for items not seen by the referee then the players would be forced to clean up their act. As it is, there is no incentive for them to play with morals.

Alas, the league is run by eunocks and the media are afraid of loosing their meal ticket to do something about it.

:lol: That's not really the best metaphor like. It doesn't really account for the fact you're in competition with someone else who steals sweets all day long without reprimand. In some form of sweet stealing competition. Maybe?

If you are not falling, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. The penalty of being caught is not enough to deter it given the possible benefits, and there is a good chance you will not be caught at all. Personally, I don't think this ruins the game or is cheating at all. I much rather be the "cheater" lining up for a free kick opportunity then the "honest" player watch the other team break for a counter.

If you are not falling, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. The penalty of being caught is not enough to deter it given the possible benefits, and there is a good chance you will not be caught at all. Personally, I don't think this ruins the game or is cheating at all. I much rather be the "cheater" lining up for a free kick opportunity then the "honest" player watch the other team break for a counter.

The you're a dangerous man Baba, someone who thinks the end always justifies the means.

It's a competitive game, man! The men are being paid to do all they can to win for the badge on the front of their shirt. Like most people, I have different values in my everyday life then I do on the court/pitch. I'm generally a ruthless man in the field of play.

dangerous man :lol:

It's a competitive game, man! The men are being paid to do all they can to win for the badge on the front of their shirt. Like most people, I have different values in my everyday life then I do on the court/pitch. I'm generally a ruthless man in the field of play.

dangerous man :lol:

Nah, they're paid to play football, a sport, within the rules governing that sport.

Very surprised you're endorsing cheating. What value is a win if you know in your heart it was gained by cheating? That's a fundamental principle to all sports and games.