Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

When you're playing a competitive football match you're running on emotion, if you make a good tackle or whatever and the ref blows for a free kick of course you're gonna get f***ed off and ask questions.

The problem now is that too many refs think everyone has showed up to watch them and not the match.  Complete ego maniacs.  They don't talk to players and explain decisions, just ignore them or tell them to do one.  Then the second the player raises his voice, he's booked.  It's a joke.

Maybe if they communicated a bit more they'd get the respect they crave.

You're so wrong, sorry.

The ref's decision is final, simple as that. If he doesn't give a free kick, it wasn't a free kick. That's how it should be viewed IMO.

Some of us actually have emotion though and don't go through life trying to be the most PC person on earth.

What a crock of s***. Most pedantic answer ever

Play a football match then get back to me.

Referees can't be treated as some super human being that never make mistakes and can never be questioned, that's f***ing ludicrous.

Likewise football players can't turn into robots and just accept every decision and get on with the game all smiles when they know that a lot of the time the referee is wrong.

If someone thought you were doing your job badly you'd have have to answer questions, why should referees be different?

i played for 25 years and hardly anyone went on like a lot of pros do now. yes people would disagree with decisions "what the f*** for ref" but calling the ref and telling him to f*** off was a no-no and balling at him from a foot away wouldn't happen. as has been pointed out loads of times and you wont reply to it is why do players in other adrenalin heavy sports accept the decision and get on with things ?

face it man, it's just the spoilt gets in football.

Ref's are very rarely held accountable for their actions and decisions, which is fair enough at amateur level, they are given up their free time so you can play a proper game of football, but at Pro level where they get a massive wage then they should be imo, and where a lot of frustration stems from. A ref gets it wrong a team gets relegated (worse case)  the ref gets to ref again the following week with no come back. Only in very high profile extreme cases does something happen to them, but really games at the bottom of the league are just as if not more important than at the top or in high profile tournaments like the world cup.

I think a points system and pay scale with huge bonuses should be set up so refs think twice about booking the likes of Joey Barton for one minor tackle yet let him be fouled 7-8 times all worthy of a yellow cards and do nothing about it. If it costs him the big games and the big money they might stop trying to influence the game and be star of the show like so many refs try to do these days.

As for amateur refs, they should all be rewarded with medals the amount of s*** they take, its disgusting.

many refs have been demoted and dont rattle on about barton, he got a lot of harder than necessary tackles v wolves but most werent fouls and we love it when our players do that, there was spunk on the screen when scott parker done it to joe cole.

Play a football match then get back to me.

Or play a rugby match and let me know how it went for you.

That's the point - thinking that football is different from other sports. Rugby is much more physical than football, although the physical contact is different.

So how do Rugby players maintain their discipline in the heat of their battle, when footballers can't.

If I do something wrong at work, I get bollocked.

I understand the pressure they're under is a little greater then that of a line manager pressing you to meet a deadline, but it's their job and something they should get right most of the time.

They shouldn't be free from criticism in any respect.

Sky Sports.

1.) "It's great to see him[Wayne Rooney] smiling again."

Sorry, but is he Tony Pulis? Has he just suffered an actual personal tragedy like losing a family member, or has he in fact got caught shagging around and breaking the law by paying for it. He should be nowhere near smiling, he should be ashamed to be in public, he's just had his first son. Stop fucking making out like he's suffered.

2.) The Hollywood bollocks that follows any of the top four.

"They probably want to win now for their fallen comrade Valencia too."

He's not dead, yes he's injured himself, that's really bad and I hope he recovers ASAP but Jesus can we at least have some sort of neutral commentating, and not this bias that Man Utd somehow now will be bonded like Henry V's "Band of brothers".

It's just so frustrating, Rooney made out like a martyr who's had a tough time because he can't keep it zipped up.

Sky Sports.

1.) "It's great to see him[Wayne Rooney] smiling again."

Sorry, but is he Tony Pulis? Has he just suffered an actual personal tragedy like losing a family member, or has he in fact got caught shagging around and breaking the law by paying for it. He should be nowhere near smiling, he should be ashamed to be in public, he's just had his first son. Stop fucking making out like he's suffered.

2.) The Hollywood bollocks that follows any of the top four.

"They probably want to win now for their fallen comrade Valencia too."

He's not dead, yes he's injured himself, that's really bad and I hope he recovers ASAP but Jesus can we at least have some sort of neutral commentating, and not this bias that Man Utd somehow now will be bonded like Henry V's "Band of brothers".

It's just so frustrating, Rooney made out like a martyr who's had a tough time because he can't keep it zipped up.

Common denominator: beloved United.

I understand the pressure they're under is a little greater then that of a line manager pressing you to meet a deadline, but it's their job and something they should get right most of the time.

Agree and I don't think many would argue argainst. Its just the way its articulated in sports other than football is often a lot better.

Agree and I don't think many would argue argainst. Its just the way its articulated in sports other than football is often a lot better.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't saying they should be above criticism, but that criticism should be from the appropriate people and based on a realistic level of expectation.

Players argue against most decisions that goe against them, it's only sometimes they happen to be right.

If you want to compare it to work, it's a bit like someone bollocking their own boss in the middle of a meeting in front of a room of people. Not advisable.

In my view the referee is senior to the players, the have to authority to question him during the game.

Guest neesy111

Yeah, I definitely wasn't saying they should be above criticism, but that criticism should be from the appropriate people and based on a realistic level of expectation.

Players argue against most decisions that goe against them, it's only sometimes they happen to be right.

If you want to compare it to work, it's a bit like someone bollocking their own boss in the middle of a meeting in front of a room of people. Not advisable.

In my view the referee is senior to the players, the have to authority to question him during the game.

Referee's don't have a clue because they've never played the game, so how can they know what it's actually like on the otherside.  I honestly believe 50% of all decisions in some games are incorrect on fouls, which is a shocking figure.

Referee's don't have a clue because they've never played the game, so how can they know what it's actually like on the otherside.  I honestly believe 50% of all decisions in some games are incorrect on fouls, which is a shocking figure.

Absolute bollocks.

"Absolute bollocks" - Completly true. A little bit inside me dies every time I hear pundits go on about ref's who "havn't played at this level". What do they expect, ex prem players taking up refereeing??? I bet most of them would be just as, if not more shit.

Guest Chubby Jason

Players are in no position of authority to "bollock" the referee. There is no legitimate argument to justify players questioning referees let alone charging up to them and swearing 2 inches from their face.

I know this is a slightly tenious contribution but Dickie Bird (probably the best cricket umpire the game has seen) claims that his experience as a first class cricketer was instrumental in him being such a good umpire.

The difficulty with footballers is that most of them are verging on being retarded, but i've no doubt that some of the more intelligent ex-players would do a better job as officials than most of the current lot.  I certainly think they'd command more respect

Guest neesy111

I know this is a slightly tenious contribution but Dickie Bird (probably the best cricket umpire the game has seen) claims that his experience as a first class cricketer was instrumental in him being such a good umpire.

The difficulty with footballers is that most of them are verging on being retarded, but i've no doubt that some of the more intelligent ex-players would do a better job as officials than most of the current lot.  I certainly think they'd command more respect

Lower league players would become the best applicants, as they need to find another career once their footballing career is over.

Guest neesy111

There'd be massive issues with bias and also history with other players(managers too). It wouldnt work

You just work around them.  The amount of grudges different team's have against referee's and vice versa happen's now tbh.

Can anyone give some examples of the sorts of decisions a referee would get right if he had played football at a high level?

The only thing i can think of would be some of the straight reds would be downgraded to a yellow. Can't think of any actual examples though, maybe Cahill at the weekend.

Strikers fouling defenders when they're pressuring them. Ameobi's always guilty of this. The defender has the ball near the corner flag, desperately wanting to clear it out for a throw-in but rushing in from behind comes the attacker, pushes the defender over and gives away the cheap foul, meaning the defender now has an easy to restart the game by passing back to his 'keeper or just hoofing it up himself.

I think any striker who's guilty of this more than once or twice in his career should be instantly sacked because it's a criminal waste of possession (well, possession that is about to be had), and because it's such a low-reward move. So, you might steal the ball in the corner, but the defender will still be there and you'll have no support. Instead, you could have just let him put it into touch and you'd still have the throw-in in a pretty good position.

Agreed, Apisith, but there is also the element of defenders knowing this and going down easily, and the referees buying it. To me, it's similar to the situation of goalies coming out and instantly getting a free kick in their favour if absolutely anyone as much as brushes them. It's absolutely infuriating.

I think the goalkeeper thing is ridiculous. They should be treated like any other player - these days, you look at a goalkeeper the wrong way and he wins a freekick.

Aye, annoys the piss out of me and just about everyone i know.  They get fre kicks now for their own mistakes.  They come flying out the net on a corner trying to jump,break or leap of their own defenders and attackers, have no chance of takin the ball.  They'll spill it or fumble it and the ref will blow.

WTF

He made the decsion to come for it, let him die on his on sword he he fails.