Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest malandro

Actually, I tell a lie. My dad's biggest football pet hate is when team play it around their back four. Drives him mental.

Mine too.

Many a time watching Newcastle you can hear cries of 'FORWAHD MAN FORWAHD!'

One of my pet hates is people not understanding that football is about protecting possession as much as about getting it forward. Especially evident during the World Cup when the non-fans come out of the woodwork.

Surely it’s about scoring more goals than the opposition, be that 1-0 or 3-2. How a team goes about this is matter of choice not right and wrong. Wimbledon won the FA Cup (which on a relative scale is a greater achievement than Spain winning the World Cup)and they didn’t give a shit about retaining possession.

Actually, I tell a lie. My dad's biggest football pet hate is when team play it around their back four. Drives him mental.

Mine too.

Many a time watching Newcastle you can hear cries of 'FORWAHD MAN FORWAHD!'

One of my pet hates is people not understanding that football is about protecting possession as much as about getting it forward. Especially evident during the World Cup when the non-fans come out of the woodwork.

Surely it’s about scoring more goals than the opposition, be that 1-0 or 3-2. How a team goes about this is matter of choice not right and wrong. Wimbledon won the FA Cup (which on a relative scale is a greater achievement than Spain winning the World Cup)and they didn’t give a shit about retaining possession.

Yep, that's what I said, "as much as".

Football measurements in metric units. Who uses metres for fuck's sake?

Everyone with a bit of sense :aww:

95% of the world's population.

If you don't like our country get off out message boards  :lol:

/forum xenophobia

The amount of European spots in England is a bit of a pet hate of mine these days. Its a bit shit how Liverpool for example, finished 7th last year and have European football this season. Any team who is closer to 10th than 1st shouldnt be anywhere near Europe. I understand how teams in 6th and 7th get into Europe and im not sure how you could keep the league at 5 places and still allow teams to get through via the cup, but surely there must be an alternative to SEVEN English teams in Europe?

The amount of European spots in England is a bit of a pet hate of mine these days. Its a bit shit how Liverpool for example, finished 7th last year and have European football this season. Any team who is closer to 10th than 1st shouldnt be anywhere near Europe. I understand how teams in 6th and 7th get into Europe and im not sure how you could keep the league at 5 places and still allow teams to get through via the cup, but surely there must be an alternative to SEVEN English teams in Europe?

I still think the Champions League should really just be the league winners (and perhaps main cup winners) of all European nations. Obviously the smaller nation champions would need to go through qualifiers to make sure it's just 32 teams in it.

Shame it won't happen since no big teams = no big money.

Landon Donovan

I was actually relieved when he finally just fucked off south to play in Los Angeles. It's kind of a hard when you can't stand your club's best player (San Jose, in this case) Now, if only he'd piss off to Mexico to play for El Tri then I can really hate without reservation.

I still think the Champions League should really just be the league winners (and perhaps main cup winners) of all European nations. Obviously the smaller nation champions would need to go through qualifiers to make sure it's just 32 teams in it.

Shame it won't happen since no big teams = no big money.

Totally agree, also the Europa League should be completely separate and not allow the Champions League failures in.

Seeing a grown man (a fit sportsman at that) go down like a child screaming or just rolling around when they've just had a nudge or less or more. FFS...be a man and have some fecking dignity.

Commenators, co commentators and pudits saying "well there was contact, so its a pen"  even tho the contact is minimal and the player chucks himself on the deck cos an arm was rubbed up against him.

Of course there will be contact, players have to try and regain possesion from the opposign team, players will rub up against each other.

This also brings me on to refs who dont seem to understand the basics of physics.

Seeing a grown man (a fit sportsman at that) go down like a child screaming or just rolling around when they've just had a nudge or less or more. FFS...be a man and have some fecking dignity.

Commenators, co commentators and pudits saying "well there was contact, so its a pen"  even tho the contact is minimal and the player chucks himself on the deck cos an arm was rubbed up against him.

Of course there will be contact, players have to try and regain possesion from the opposign team, players will rub up against each other.

This also brings me on to refs who dont seem to understand the basics of physics.

Commentators have adapted far too easily to the new era of diving and cheating... they seem to just expect it now, and support the players doing it.

Commentators have adapted far too easily to the new era of diving and cheating... they seem to just expect it now, and support the players doing it.

Aye they do, its almost as if they demand a penalty if anybody rubs against each other in the box.  Like if a winger makes a break in the box from the flank and the full back tracks him, a good old palyer v player tussle...the winger goes down and someone like Motson gets an isntant penalty erection .  Despite the whole crowd and the viewing public seeing that it was just shoulder to shoulder and the defender won out.

Teams wearing away/ change strips when their home colours wouldn't clash anyway.

Agreed. The worst example of which was when we wore that sky blue away ensemble in the Wear-Tyne derby under Fat Sam, fucking mental decision that was.

Guest toonlass

Its been said before and it will be said again, women who shriek at the football. For fucks sake its a football match not a JLS concert you fucking girly girl!

It's hardly a revelation is it? That footballers are puffs :lol:

I don't really think most are. They deal with a good amount of physical abuse and punishment. The diving and feigning injury make them look quite soft, but generaly football is a rather panful sport.

It's hardly a revelation is it? That footballers are puffs :lol:

I don't really think most are. They deal with a good amount of physical abuse and punishment. The diving and feigning injury make them look quite soft, but generaly football is a rather panful sport.

Watching Newcastle is certainly painful to watch, at times.

Guest malandro

True, they also offer different views on almost identical events depending on who is playing. For example, if Rooney misses from five yards out he ‘did brilliantly to get in goal scoring opportunity’ and ‘was unlucky not to find the net’. Whereas if Shola missed from five yards it would be ‘he really should have scored from there’

• 3 weeks later...