Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest firetotheworks

Football measurements in metric units. Who uses metres for f***'s sake?

Pretty much everyone but the English isn't it?

Dickhead commentators like Mark fucking Bright who add "When the ball was kicked" to the phrase "I dont think he was offside".

A player can hardly be offside when the ball is not kicked or 10 seconds after.

Fuck off.

Actually, I tell a lie. My dad's biggest football pet hate is when team play it around their back four. Drives him mental.

Mine on similar tip, when one of the back four has the ball & not a oppo player near & out of nowhere a midfielder comes hurtling back to collect the ball. Why?!?!? Hold your f***ing position, move into space & you might get the ball in the opposition half rather than collecting on the edge of your own 18 yard box.

Actually, I tell a lie. My dad's biggest football pet hate is when team play it around their back four. Drives him mental.

Mine on similar tip, when one of the back four has the ball & not a oppo player near & out of nowhere a midfielder comes hurtling back to collect the ball. Why?!?!? Hold your f***ing position, move into space & you might get the ball in the opposition half rather than collecting on the edge of your own 18 yard box.

Or just Alan Smith. :thup:

Cheating being so ingrained that even when you're 20 seconds away from winning a quarter final of the world cup, you still demand that an opposing player be sent off for what is obviously an accidental boot in someone's face.

Guest Heneage

Mine too.

Many a time watching Newcastle you can hear cries of 'FORWAHD MAN FORWAHD!'

Players falling over when they've been "fouled", and clutch the ball to make it suddenly seem more convincing. Drives me mad.

This, but when they have been fouled and before the ref blows the whistle they hold the ball on the floor. Ermm that should be a booking for deliberate handball! Twa*

A penalty being called a 'pen'.

It's not like it's difficult to say. nothing more annoying than Merson crying: 'Pen...he's got a pen!'

Oh and Paul Merson but I'm sure I've already mentioned him at least twice in this thread.

Overuse of the word 'unlucky'. A player hits the woodwork, it's automatically "unlucky". No, it was close and most likely a good attempt, but how does it make it unlucky?

Also, pretty sure it's been mentioned; commentators/pundits who praise a shot just because it was on target. "At least he tested the keeper". No, the whole point of football is to get the ball beyond the keeper, hence I'd be more pleased with a player from my team missing just beyond the far post for example, than whacking it straight at the keeper. "He made the keeper make a save", I don't give a flying fuck!

Guest firetotheworks

I use Unlucky a lot. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I hardly ever hear any one say 'hard to bare' anymore. I might bring it back.

Nah not the D, the other night they were showing a few kicks and saying this and that should have been taken again regardless of who the encroaching was by. If the attacker scores you don't make him take it again because the defending centre half is in the box.

A penalty being called a 'pen'.

It's not like it's difficult to say. nothing more annoying than Merson crying: 'Pen...he's got a pen!'

Oh and Paul Merson but I'm sure I've already mentioned him at least twice in this thread.

http://www.idrottsforum.org/features/oddner/hairpics/waddle_eng68.jpg

Mine too.

Many a time watching Newcastle you can hear cries of 'FORWAHD MAN FORWAHD!'

One of my pet hates is people not understanding that football is about protecting possession as much as about getting it forward. Especially evident during the World Cup when the non-fans come out of the woodwork.

• 3 weeks later...