Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Commentators trying too hard to pronounce foreign names 'authentically', as though they're foreign themselves. You're not. Stop it, dickhead.

They only do that with the Latin and East European names. They really could try a bit harder with African ones. :lol: Makes me cringe the way they say some.

One that annoys me an inordinate amount is when they show images of people in the crowd during international tournaments and they are extremely nervous or depressed until they notice they are on television and start jumping and dancing.

Speaking of which, that is one of my pet... loves?

The way they immediately turn the broadcast to something else as soon as the fan being highlighted notices themselves on the big screen. We must only display these people in their natural habitat! Quick turn away the purity of the moment has been tainted!

This Africa United thing at this WC. I'm fine with African solidarity, but Nigerians supporting Ghana is a bigger national disgrace than email scams. It is like NUFC throwing themselves behind SAFC  in a CL campaign. supporting our biggest rival because our own didn't do the job. Ghana are the team I would least like to win. It is there national pasttime to yab Nigerians. Much like Sunderland, I didn't hear anything from them the first 16 years of my life, but they have been a constant prescence since 2006, multiplying like bacteria. I hope Uruguay score G-h-a-n-a on Friday. 5-0.

I've been saying this for weeks, is the whole of Africa really behind Ghana? Seems a bit patronising to me... it would be a bit like all Europeans getting behind Germany, wouldn't it?

Commentators trying too hard to pronounce foreign names 'authentically', as though they're foreign themselves. You're not. Stop it, dickhead.

They only do that with the Latin and East European names. They really could try a bit harder with African ones. :lol: Makes me cringe the way they say some.

One that annoys me an inordinate amount is when they show images of people in the crowd during international tournaments and they are extremely nervous or depressed until they notice they are on television and start jumping and dancing.

Yeah noticed that a few times, would love someone on the big screen to say "get that fucking camera out me face"  :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

When players appeal to the ref, when it would be massively advantageous for them to play on. Players quickly hitting the ball off an opposition player deliberately when taking a free kick, to claim that they weren't 10 yards, and get them a yellow card.

When players appeal to the ref, when it would be massively advantageous for them to play on. Players quickly hitting the ball off an opposition player deliberately when taking a free kick, to claim that they weren't 10 yards, and get them a yellow card.

Like when Laurent Robert got sent off against Arsenal.  :angry:

Guest firetotheworks

Like when Laurent Robert got sent off against Arsenal.  :angry:

That's exactly the example I had in mind, aye.

Guest firetotheworks

My dad's biggest football pet hate is quick free kicks. No idea why. He reckons they should all be played to the whistle.

I can see what he means, keep them all formulaic. But I'd have it the other way, fuck when the ref is ready. If he wants to have a word with a player, do it at a more convenient time.

Guest firetotheworks

Actually, I tell a lie. My dad's biggest football pet hate is when team play it around their back four. Drives him mental.

Hahaha, he sounds like my dad (all dads). I think mine is still officials getting things so desperately wrong. It's the powerlessness in the face of having your team orchestrate something they have practiced for months, and executed perfectly, only to have it fucked up by the Stevie Wonder Tribute Band.

Guest chris

When players dive and do about 10 rolls and grab there leg as if it is going to fall off.And my other is when players get drop"t or dive the get up and start doing all this showing the card stuff to try and get a player book"t

Yes, seriously. Yesterday, after Brazil lost they showed two fans, who immediately jumped around and smiled when they were on TV.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't like it when they do that, but then if it's people who are already happy, and then notice they're on camera, and the camera immediately cuts. It seems a bit cruel.