Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Got to say the call to introduce technology. It's a game, people make mistakes, accept it.

Good lad

Yep. This one needs to be put to bed.

Especially with the standard of refs in this country...games could take 3 hours to complete.

Guest Heneage

When a young black player is coming through the ranks and he gets compared to a good black player of past generations purely because of his skin colour.

Non white footballs. Especially darker coloured ones, yellow is tolerable I guess.

Also dark coloured goal nets of course.

Played with a black one the other night in a game of  a side, half 9 at night with dubious floodlights.. could hardly see it. Useless.

If you read the first post, then the second one with out looking at what Greg quoted you may be thoroughly offended.

When a young black player is coming through the ranks and he gets compared to a good black player of past generations purely because of his skin colour.

Non white footballs. Especially darker coloured ones, yellow is tolerable I guess.

Also dark coloured goal nets of course.

Played with a black one the other night in a game of  a side, half 9 at night with dubious floodlights.. could hardly see it. Useless.

If you read the first post, then the second one with out looking at what Greg quoted you may be thoroughly offended.

I know the above post isn't racist, but can we ban Nixon for racism while the opportunity is there? :aww:

Arrogant English pundits and commentators. It's not the players, its the pundits.

'Chelsea, Job done in Barcelona' being the one that really boiled my blood.

This is another one of mine, the way people think that a 0-0 result away from home in the first leg in Europe is a good result, it's not, it's a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible result! May as well lose 6-5.

Does anyone not think that goal-line technology, video refs and such would totally kill the game? It may not be perfect, parts of the game may be hazy and slightly flawed: but it's fucking brilliant, isn't it? All this technology would totally kill off any forms of debate, discussion, etc after a game, which is entirely part of supporting your team imo. Sitting in the pub, moaning into your pint about "how on earth didn't he give offside" or "the ball crossed the line, can't believe we only drew" is just as much part of the game as actually watching it is imo.

It may be shit when a decision doesn't go your way, and the players/manager/fans are all complaining and asking for video technology; but when the shoe is on the other foot and they win via a dodgy penalty, or a blatantly offside goal, etc - they don't fucking well ask for it then, do they?

These flaws are part and parcel of our beautiful game, so I think people need to stop asking for frigging cameras and stuff whenever theres a dodgy call. Referees make mistakes, and it is incredibly frustrating when it goes against a team you support. But, lets not kill off the arguing, laughing, debating and voting afterwards. It's really great.

Guest firetotheworks

Does anyone not think that goal-line technology, video refs and such would totally kill the game? It may not be perfect, parts of the game may be hazy and slightly flawed: but it's f***ing brilliant, isn't it? All this technology would totally kill off any forms of debate, discussion, etc after a game, which is entirely part of supporting your team imo. Sitting in the pub, moaning into your pint about "how on earth didn't he give offside" or "the ball crossed the line, can't believe we only drew" is just as much part of the game as actually watching it is imo.

It may be s*** when a decision doesn't go your way, and the players/manager/fans are all complaining and asking for video technology; but when the shoe is on the other foot and they win via a dodgy penalty, or a blatantly offside goal, etc - they don't f***ing well ask for it then, do they?

These flaws are part and parcel of our beautiful game, so I think people need to stop asking for frigging cameras and stuff whenever theres a dodgy call. Referees make mistakes, and it is incredibly frustrating when it goes against a team you support. But, lets not kill off the arguing, laughing, debating and voting afterwards. It's really great.

Personally I hate it, and it frustrates me. If we ever get a dodgy decision I dont ignore it, I usually just think 'ah well, that covers up for the shit decision we got last week.' But that only covers decisions that result in a goal. It doesnt cover red cards etc because players are still banned for a game or two. People seem to be forgetting decisions tending to favour the top 4 too.

Bring in one official watching a TV and give them as much power as a linesman and we make the game better without slowing it down or turning it into a sterile, non-ambiguity tech fest.

Does anyone not think that goal-line technology, video refs and such would totally kill the game? It may not be perfect, parts of the game may be hazy and slightly flawed: but it's f***ing brilliant, isn't it? All this technology would totally kill off any forms of debate, discussion, etc after a game, which is entirely part of supporting your team imo. Sitting in the pub, moaning into your pint about "how on earth didn't he give offside" or "the ball crossed the line, can't believe we only drew" is just as much part of the game as actually watching it is imo.

It may be s*** when a decision doesn't go your way, and the players/manager/fans are all complaining and asking for video technology; but when the shoe is on the other foot and they win via a dodgy penalty, or a blatantly offside goal, etc - they don't f***ing well ask for it then, do they?

Personally I hate it, and it frustrates me. If we ever get a dodgy decision I dont ignore it, I usually just think 'ah well, that covers up for the shit decision we got last week.' But that only covers decisions that result in a goal. It doesnt cover red cards etc because players are still banned for a game or two. People seem to be forgetting decisions tending to favour the top 4 too.

Bring in one official watching a TV and give them as much power as a linesman and we make the game better without slowing it down or turning it into a sterile, non-ambiguity tech fest.

I see your point, I really do. I read your posts regarding the matter, and your one of annoyance in General Chat about how people don't seem to grasp your concept - please don't regard me as one of those mongs. :lol:

If we do bring in this one official watching a TV, whenever a decision is still caused incorrectly, there will be calls for more, more, more and more technology, officials, all the sort of stuff, until the game has turned into a sterile bore-fest. We shouldn't even start off this whole thing imo, the game may well be a bit flawed but it's been this way for years and years, and we don't need to change.

For one thing; they've tried the "box official" in the Europa League this season and they have been proven to be pretty useless.

Guest firetotheworks

Personally I hate it, and it frustrates me. If we ever get a dodgy decision I dont ignore it, I usually just think 'ah well, that covers up for the s*** decision we got last week.' But that only covers decisions that result in a goal. It doesnt cover red cards etc because players are still banned for a game or two. People seem to be forgetting decisions tending to favour the top 4 too.

I see your point, I really do. I read your posts regarding the matter, and your one of annoyance in General Chat about how people don't seem to grasp your concept - please don't regard me as one of those mongs. :lol:

If we do bring in this one official watching a TV, whenever a decision is still caused incorrectly, there will be calls for more, more, more and more technology, officials, all the sort of stuff, until the game has turned into a sterile bore-fest. We shouldn't even start off this whole thing imo, the game may well be a bit flawed but it's been this way for years and years, and we don't need to change.

For one thing; they've tried the "box official" in the Europa League this season and they have been proven to be pretty useless.

Is that the 2 officials behind the goal? I agree, totally pointless, and a waste of officials.

Again, I see your point. There is a danger of it escalating, but the reason I think this can work is that the referee is still in charge, the video ref makes the final decision. It is merely another view. My point is that if we have linesmen, then that is an admission that the referee cannot possibly see the match from every angle, why can that not translate to having one more person watching from an angle that they cannot see? It's still a human decision, yes they're using the aid of technology but its essentially another pair of eyes.

I think Arsene Wenger summed it up pretty well, when he pointed out the contradiction.

"Football accepts that a billion people see it, one guy doesn't see it, and yet it is the one who prevails. It cannot work,"

Mentioned it in the Other Games thread, but when a commentator says something like, "the under-rated Stephen Ireland", or "Stephen Ireland, one of the unsung heroes", even though they say the same in commentary, in the papers, in the press all the fecking time meaning he's nothing but "unsung" or "under-rated".

Mentioned it in the Other Games thread, but when a commentator says something like, "the under-rated Stephen Ireland", or "Stephen Ireland, one of the unsung heroes", even though they say the same in commentary, in the papers, in the press all the fecking time meaning he's nothing but "unsung" or "under-rated".

I am not sure what inspired you to type that :pow: but you summed it up well :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

The way that the fixture list changes to the following week at a ridiculous time on the Premier League Fantasy Football website.

Guest Chubby Jason

see also Makelele, C.

What a load of bollocks regarding goal line technology, please explain how it would affect discussion and debate? People still talk about players, selections, appointments, previous matches, match predictions, goals, and even the influence of technology.

There is nothing wrong with trying to improve the game, it could be at least tried. Would you really sacrafice your team losing points to have a discussion about a decision in the pub? No.

It works in other sports very effectively and before we get the, it would create too many stoppages in play bollocks, it would make little difference when you consider when a decision is made are contested for a good couple of minutes.

Guest firetotheworks

The way that the fixture list changes to the following week at a ridiculous time on the Premier League Fantasy Football website.

Forgetting to change your fantasy football team.

Accidentally making Milner your captain. Lets just hope its a stroke of subconscious genius.

Here's another.

Travelling to another city to watch your team, getting there nice and early for a few drinks, then spending it is some vile, quarantined shit hole of an "away pub" (the Fernhurst at Blackburn, the Eight Bells at Fulham, the Cape and Gown for you lot at our place) where you are rammed in with pissed up morons, paying inflated prices for shite beer to a backing track of Sky Sports News and general idiocy.

"Oh Fulham was fuckin ace, we went down the Eight Bells, it was fucking rammed with Villa!"

Why? Why on earth do that? I can think of - off the top of my head - 20 really nice places to drink in the environs of Craven Cottage.

Coming to Villa Park for a game? Fancy a drink? Go down Digbeth, or into the Jewellery Quarter, or some of the boozers off Colmore Row where you'll actually get real, proper, nice beer and food. Don't go to the Cap and Gown to wait in a primeval scrum at the bar to get served by some arsey gibbon who has charged you 2 quid to get in the pub in the first place, whilst the Police wait outside in their vans, filming the comings and goings.

I think the Eight Bells is dead canny. Rammed but the service is spot on!

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!

It was never good. Was funny for a while, now it's annoying and tedious. Hate it, sound goes straight off if I'm watching highlights and the guy starts doing it.

Worse when it's a relatively rubbish or insignificant goal.

Defenders 'seeing the ball out'. Yeah, if you are by the goal line then fine, but don't start dancing around the ball 20 yards back stopping your opponent having a fair crack at the ball. It's obstruction and should be punished every time. You couldn't do it any other time but if your 'seeing it out' it's fine. On that note I also hate when referees don't give decisions in/around the box when it would blatantly be a free-kick if it was on the half way line. If it's a foul, it's a foul no matter where it takes place.

this.

Defenders 'seeing the ball out'. Yeah, if you are by the goal line then fine, but don't start dancing around the ball 20 yards back stopping your opponent having a fair crack at the ball. It's obstruction and should be punished every time. You couldn't do it any other time but if your 'seeing it out' it's fine. On that note I also hate when referees don't give decisions in/around the box when it would blatantly be a free-kick if it was on the half way line. If it's a foul, it's a foul no matter where it takes place.

this.

in a similar vein when refs wont give a card as it is in the first few minutes........doesn't matter refs as in the above.