Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Pre season Riverside tournament in 98 or 99

Think they branded it as the JD tournament. I was there on the Sunday but not the Saturday. It was absolutely shite. Remember Perez playing in goal and Stephen Glass playing for us. Other than that, nothing.

• 1 month later...

It's a strange one with Shearer.

Like most if not all of you of a certain age, he was my absolute favourite player growing up (I'm 36) and felt he represented us with pride, passion and performance.

But as I've gotten older, I've found I really rated him as a player, but not so much nowadays, as a pundit or personality. Don't get me wrong, he'll always be a legend etc - I just find that I much more identify with Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson, in terms of what they stand for, and in terms of their values and principles. Those guys I could listen to all day, watch documentaries about, read their autobiography and be inspired. Probably not the case with Shearer though. Is that weird?

Hopefully that means he won't be working for The Sun any more.

:thup:

First thought, question that came to mind also. Apparently that is indeed the case - good. Caulkin confirms in a tweet.

Yeah it's really exciting tbh. Hopefully he doesn't assimilate with Caulkin and Waugh and their fanzine vibe too much.

Sorry, a rerun of an oft-made complaint but fucking HELL I wish they'd get rid of Taylor Payne. I mean... is this it, then? The same absolutely lifting patter about sausages and "ye dad" jokes and Chris Waffles lololol every single week? Over and over and over again? At risk of sounding like a humourless fart I wish he'd just grow up a bit; the playground stuff's alright occasionally and with a bit of irony, but very tedious when it's laced into every segment. He went on a rant about the PPV thing and that was great, actually talking like a normal human adult for once. You seldom get that, though.

:thup: 100% Yorkie

I remember their old podcast around the time of the Pardew or Ashley protests and they had Caulkin on. I was excited to hear what they had to say about it but instead  spent the first 20 mins shiteing on about sweets from the 90’s and fancy cheese. Pissed me off so much that by the time the serious chat came on I had lost interest.

Yeah it's really exciting tbh. Hopefully he doesn't assimilate with Caulkin and Waugh and their fanzine vibe too much.

Sorry, a rerun of an oft-made complaint but fucking HELL I wish they'd get rid of Taylor Payne. I mean... is this it, then? The same absolutely lifting patter about sausages and "ye dad" jokes and Chris Waffles lololol every single week? Over and over and over again? At risk of sounding like a humourless fart I wish he'd just grow up a bit; the playground stuff's alright occasionally and with a bit of irony, but very tedious when it's laced into every segment. He went on a rant about the PPV thing and that was great, actually talking like a normal human adult for once. You seldom get that, though.

Well said. The patter on that podcast is fucking horrific.

Makes it unlistenable.

Like most if not all of you of a certain age, he was my absolute favourite player growing up (I'm 36) and felt he represented us with pride, passion and performance.

But as I've gotten older, I've found I really rated him as a player, but not so much nowadays, as a pundit or personality. Don't get me wrong, he'll always be a legend etc - I just find that I much more identify with Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson, in terms of what they stand for, and in terms of their values and principles. Those guys I could listen to all day, watch documentaries about, read their autobiography and be inspired. Probably not the case with Shearer though. Is that weird?

No not weird. Just your opinion.

Can understand what you mean. Shearer is an ordinary guy, like your next door neighbour. Just happened to be one of the greatest strikers of his generation. Not inspirational as such, like Keegan or Sir Bobby.

• 3 weeks later...