Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Yeah I always thought that, he was always first to the rebounds and you don't see it often these days.

less top strikers play so centrally these days i reckon, he was always in and around the 6 yard box when he didn't have the ball but nowadays most of the better strikers around seem to be part-wide player as well

kane the closest to shearer i suppose

Cup semi v Sheffield United.

I was in the top tier of what is now the Sir Alex Ferguson stand and I thought it was going to collapse it was bending that much.

:lol: Fucking aye. I was in the back row. Was crazy how much it moved.

Cup semi v Sheffield United.

I was in the top tier of what is now the Sir Alex Ferguson stand and I thought it was going to collapse it was bending that much.

:lol: Fucking aye. I was in the back row. Was crazy how much it moved.

We were right underneath the top tier. Never seen anything like it.

Man U steward told us "it's never like this when United are at home"

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/lee-dixon-on-alan-shearers-dark-arts-i-thought-im-not-going-near-him/

Who's the closest in modern times?  Can't think of a single player who could do the long range stuff, tap-ins, free kicks,  headers, and assists while being a leader and terrify defenders at the same time. Kane at a stretch, but don't remember him getting too many spectacular ones like Shearer had

C. Ronaldo at a push, but he was never a great leader and always about himself.

Shearer changed a lot over his career as well, from what I remember he was pretty quick in the early days.

Probably what made him one of the best. Plenty good strikers go crap when they lose a bit of pace and don't try to change...for all his faults even Owen tried to change to fit Keegan's system, just didn't have the desire to see it through

Out of interest who has an opinion of what the next striker trend will be. 80/90 was generally 2 up front big man little man combo, then 00/10/20 single guy supported by to wide forwards(pretty much a Mourinho creation) Can see it going to 3 out and out strikers when a decent team has some success with it

Out of interest who has an opinion of what the next striker trend will be. 80/90 was generally 2 up front big man little man combo, then 00/10/20 single guy supported by to wide forwards(pretty much a Mourinho creation) Can see it going to 3 out and out strikers when a decent team has some success with it

I don’t know, but I hope it goes back to two up front, as I love a good striker partnership.

At the risk of sounding like Mike Bassett 4-4-2 will come back strong in the next 2-3 years.  We've already seen very attacking full backs become intrinsic to how the top teams play and the width they provide is such a key area. Sooner or later a top manager will say to themselves rather than having lots of central players I can overload wide areas with winger and full back and have strikers work the channels more as well. As pressing is more and more popular the 4-4-2's shape and also it's compactness from a defensive point of view is also going to become key. We've already seen that in La Liga with the press and physicality of Eibar and Getafe and it's going to creep back here more and more. I'd be very surprised if the likes of Ancelotti (who's always loved the 4-4-2) doesn't start having some success with that at Everton. Though in the current era I'd say it'll tend to be more of a diamond midfield than the traditional style. A last point on this, in an economic environment affected by the rona a 4-4-2 could be perceived as a cheaper model tactically. You don't need the more specialized roles of some of the other formations. You can have very different strikers, wingers or central midfielders on the wings, and midfield doesn't have to have a holding player for example. Or, if you're Tony Pulis or How's The Bacon Bruce you can have four centre halves across your back four.

Ramble over.

At the risk of sounding like Mike Bassett 4-4-2 will come back strong in the next 2-3 years.  We've already seen very attacking full backs become intrinsic to how the top teams play and the width they provide is such a key area. Sooner or later a top manager will say to themselves rather than having lots of central players I can overload wide areas with winger and full back and have strikers work the channels more as well. As pressing is more and more popular the 4-4-2's shape and also it's compactness from a defensive point of view is also going to become key. We've already seen that in La Liga with the press and physicality of Eibar and Getafe and it's going to creep back here more and more. I'd be very surprised if the likes of Ancelotti (who's always loved the 4-4-2) doesn't start having some success with that at Everton. Though in the current era I'd say it'll tend to be more of a diamond midfield than the traditional style. A last point on this, in an economic environment affected by the rona a 4-4-2 could be perceived as a cheaper model tactically. You don't need the more specialized roles of some of the other formations. You can have very different strikers, wingers or central midfielders on the wings, and midfield doesn't have to have a holding player for example. Or, if you're Tony Pulis or How's The Bacon Bruce you can have four centre halves across your back four.

Ramble over.

;D We're England and we play 442. None of that fancy foreign s***t

At the risk of sounding like Mike Bassett 4-4-2 will come back strong in the next 2-3 years.  We've already seen very attacking full backs become intrinsic to how the top teams play and the width they provide is such a key area.

Sooner or later a top manager will say to themselves rather than having lots of central players I can overload wide areas with winger and full back and have strikers work the channels more as well.

As pressing is more and more popular the 4-4-2's shape and also it's compactness from a defensive point of view is also going to become key. We've already seen that in La Liga with the press and physicality of Eibar and Getafe and it's going to creep back here more and more. I'd be very surprised if the likes of Ancelotti (who's always loved the 4-4-2) doesn't start having some success with that at Everton. though in the current era I'd say it'll tend to be more of a diamond midfield than the traditional style.

A last point on this, in an economic environment affected by the rona a 4-4-2 could be perceived as a cheaper model tactically. You don't need the more specialized roles of some of the other formations.

You can have very different strikers, wingers or central midfielders on the wings, and midfield doesn't have to have a holding player for example. Or, if you're Tony Pulis or How's The Bacon Bruce you can have four centre halves across your back four.

Ramble over.

What's your favourite Shearer goal?

Classic old-style centreforward play. :coolsmiley: We won't see his like again.

Always gets neglected how good his passing and crossing was too. Could have got another 50 if he was on the end of his own crosses

Shearer was a great striker because the only thing he had on his mind was putting the ball in the net.  He had the technique to do it and the anticipation and reading of the game to always be in the right position but the best asset he had was that hunger and drive to score goals.