Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't see why a goal off the hand can't count, if it's accidental or touches the hand as part of another movement. Obviously if you punch the ball in then it's not a goal.

There are going to be hundreds of dodgy handball calls next season, it'll be awful.

I don't see why a goal off the hand can't count, if it's accidental or touches the hand as part of another movement. Obviously if you punch the ball in then it's not a goal.

There are going to be hundreds of dodgy handball calls next season, it'll be awful.

Or just make the rule that if your hand touches the ball it's no goal? Which personally I think it should be anyway.

Or just make the rule that if your hand touches the ball it's no goal? Which personally I think it should be anyway.

The rules are changing to be just that on the first of June (the day of the CL final, incidentally).

Accidental or not while it’s not yet the law, no way on earth should a goal that goes in after hitting a player’s hand count.

Baffling as well that VAR didn’t get the angle BT Sport showed.

But even that view showed the goal should of stood.

The Referee Committee of La Liga releases some VAR stats regularly. These are up to Game 31, so nearly the full season:

- A VAR decision has been made every 3,56 games

- 6,25% of goal decisions have been changed after checking VAR

- Average delay has been 69 seconds when the referee didn't ask to watch the replay himself, and 115 when he did

- They also estimate that the rate of right decisions made by refs in the penalty box has gone up 4,79% (to 98,24%) thanks to VAR. Given that VAR usually only gets involved in key decisions, that seems like a very positive change (note that it's the refs themselves releasing this info, so it will be skewed to make them look good).

All in all, I'm really happy with VAR, and my only issues with it are ones of procedure (what gets and doesn't get checked). Most controversy in La Liga nowadays is why this key decision wasn't reviewed by VAR, or decisions that were unclear even with VAR. But when VAR gets drawn into it, it usually provides a good decision and it's refreshingly healthy to know that refereeing errors are much less influential in the game.

The dreaded "we're going to get 3432354 penalties every game!" effect was real in the first weeks of the season, but the number of penalties has gone down to more normal levels since - whether that's players or referees adjusting I don't know, though. Probably a bit of both.

Funny how Pochettino said it has been an absolute disaster in Spain and every hates it there and we shouldn’t have in our Premier League :lol:

Seeing that man benefit from it so much yesterday made me sick :anguish:

Guest firetotheworks

Uh oh, sounds like we have a new entry in GE's inexplicable League of Unextraordinary Gentlemen.

Uh oh, sounds like we have a new entry in GE's inexplicable League of Unextraordinary Gentlemen.

I don’t mind Pochettino my only issue is he has tried to fight against improving the correct ratio of decisions.

Opposite to Guardiola who has been very much in favour of it and shown his support in trying to help improve the ratio of correct decisions :thup:

It's funny how handball is sort of seen as the worst possible offence. I'd put it as much less of a problem as things like diving and bringing someone down through on goal. Handball's the one that seems to generate the most interest.

Because handball is open to interpretation, everybody has an opinion on what the handball rule is. Its not seen as a worse offence than diving

The goal was given last night to Llorente and even in here there's no conclusive decision as to whether it should have been handball or not despite us having ages to watch numerous angles/replays etc. At the time it could only have been disallowed if it conclusively was deemed a foul.

If the goal had been disallowed and they'd overturned it, then fair enough there's an argument for the wrong decision. Think the decisions last night were the correct ones.

The decisions looked fair enough tbh, it was probably because everyone thought City had scored a dramatic last gasp winner which made it harder to swallow.

Much prefer VAR tbh, I don't trust referees to get it right at all, especially in our leagues.

I can't wait for VAR in the premier, although it slows things down a bit, I personally believe like others posting above, it will benefit the rest of the league outside the top 6. I also think after the Sterling goal vs Spurs it makes it very important. Spurs deservedly went through, but without VAR they wouldn't have.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck it, let’s just not bother with the football and have a 90 min advert and be done with it.

They can just simulate the match using a computer to get the result, save us all the bother.

What an utter mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Some rule changes to League as well.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-rule-changes-next-16298032

Handballs

The IFAB has clarified the situation in regards to handball decisions ahead of next season.

Goals will be disallowed if the ball accidentally strikes a player's hand in the build-up.

A free-kick will also be awarded outside of the penalty box if a player has accidentally created an advantage by handling the ball.

Drop balls

The IFAB has also had its say on drop balls and is aiming to get rid of 'manufactured' restarts.

"The current dropped ball procedure often leads to a ‘manufactured’ restart which is ‘exploited’ unfairly or an aggressive confrontation," the IFAB explained.

"Returning the ball to the team that last played it restores what was ‘lost’ when play was stopped, except in the penalty area where it is simpler to return the ball to the goalkeeper.

"To prevent that team gaining an unfair advantage, all players of both teams, except the player receiving the ball, must be at least 4m (4.5 yds) away."

Substitutions

Another rule which has been introduced for next season sees some major alterations to substitutions.

Now players will have to leave the pitch at the nearest point rather than walk slowly across the field late in games and waste time.

Freekicks

Attacking teams will no longer be allowed to have a player in the defensive wall for a free-kick.

When there is a wall of at least three players, those on the attacking team are not allowed to stand within one metre of the wall.

"There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’ and their presence is against the ‘spirit of the game’ and often damages the image of the game," an IFAB statement explained.

Penalty kicks

This has certainly been overdue with goalkeepers taking advantage on penalty situations for a while now.

But from next season they will have to have one foot on the line.

Not only must keepers be touching the line, they will not be allowed to touch the goalposts before the ball is kicked.

Cards for coaches

Premier League referees will now be able to show them a yellow card or a red card in the same way they do with players on the pitch.