Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why show one set of replays for TV and others for refs? The best view of the Llorente handball wasn't even shown to the ref, despite it being shown on TV seconds before

VAR is good, but there's a lot to work on.  The whole celebration ruining thing does sit well with me either, but not much can be done about it

I wonder if a challenge type system would be a better way to implement it tbh

1 per team, per half or something. Let's the ref/linesmen get on with their job for the most part that way too

1 per team, per half or something. Let's the ref/linesmen get on with their job for the most part that way too

Sounds awful imo.

How's it any worse than them checking every single thing and potentially delaying the game/stopping celebrations multiple times?

Sounds awful imo.

How's it any worse than them checking every single thing and potentially delaying the game/stopping celebrations multiple times?

Because if someone makes a challenge which is wrong then a blatant offside is unable to be challenged it removes the whole need for var

Sounds awful imo.

Because if someone makes a challenge which is wrong then a blatant offside is unable to be challenged it removes the whole need for var

Shouldn't waste the challenge on a correct decision then  O0

Fair enough I guess. Still don't like it how it is, it's hard to change it for the better though

Sounds awful imo.

Shouldn't waste the challenge on a correct decision then  O0

Fair enough I guess. Still don't like it how it is, it's hard to change it for the better though

I think visibility of what they are doing ( especially in ground ) will help

Think people are over egging the celebration problem- a 30 yard screamer will never need it

I’m actually glad they have gone more “all in” than just checking obvious penalties etc

Will take a lot of foul and shitty play and pulling shirts on corners etc out of the game

Think it seems to be speeding up aswel which is great , people forget that refereeing is literally shit 99% of the time

The celebration thing is bullshit anyway. Goals have been ruled out for fucking decades. People don't wait to celebrate to check if the linesman has flagged or wait to see if the ref is gonna blow for something before celebrating. You celebrate, then you go "oh shit, fuck" when/if something is amiss after.

"Linesmen flagging for offside will ruin the way fans celebrate goals as they'll have to wait and see if it's actually a goal or not!!11!!11!"

Get to fuck.

As if any NUFC fan doesn't want VAR.

Want us to keep getting f***ed over like? :lol:

I felt the same way when the tech first came in, but not so sure now.

When you have a top side against an also-ran, refs and video refs will still bottle it with tight calls. It's just so much easier to f*ck over the also-ran and it doesn't make headline news. If you're a ref under massive pressure, I think you're always going to be more lenient towards the top sides. Same goes for VAR. 

Whether it'll benefit us is hard to tell. We've already seen a lack of consistency with it but it's early days. It'll surely get more decisions right than refs without video do, but it's about which teams get those big calls. What makes me sceptical is that FIFA wanted this so much and they're hardly known for being above board or having the game's best interests at heart.

I still think VAR should be restricted to issues of fact, like offsides and goal-line issues, rather than opinion.

What seems to be happening with handball is it's being re-defined as an issue of fact, in order to suit VAR. The discretion on the part of officials to decide whether the offence was deliberate or avoidable seems to be going.

We're liable to end up with some long delays and, in the end, poor decisions. The Llorente goal would probably have been chalked off if the VAR staff had the right angle, but the contact was minimal and accidental.

As if any NUFC fan doesn't want VAR.

Want us to keep getting f***ed over like? :lol:

I felt the same way when the tech first came in, but not so sure now.

When you have a top side against an also-ran, refs and video refs will still bottle it with tight calls. It's just so much easier to f*ck over the also-ran and it doesn't make headline news. If you're a ref under massive pressure, I think you're always going to be more lenient towards the top sides. Same goes for VAR. 

Whether it'll benefit us is hard to tell. We've already seen a lack of consistency with it but it's early days. It'll surely get more decisions right than refs without video do, but it's about which teams get those big calls. What makes me sceptical is that FIFA wanted this so much and they're hardly known for being above board or having the game's best interests at heart.

I’m convinced next season we will get more penalties AND the opposition will get more Red cards with VAR than they currently do.

Not exactly a risky prediction mind but :lol:

The Referee Committee of La Liga releases some VAR stats regularly. These are up to Game 31, so nearly the full season:

- A VAR decision has been made every 3,56 games

- 6,25% of goal decisions have been changed after checking VAR

- Average delay has been 69 seconds when the referee didn't ask to watch the replay himself, and 115 when he did

- They also estimate that the rate of right decisions made by refs in the penalty box has gone up 4,79% (to 98,24%) thanks to VAR. Given that VAR usually only gets involved in key decisions, that seems like a very positive change (note that it's the refs themselves releasing this info, so it will be skewed to make them look good).

All in all, I'm really happy with VAR, and my only issues with it are ones of procedure (what gets and doesn't get checked). Most controversy in La Liga nowadays is why this key decision wasn't reviewed by VAR, or decisions that were unclear even with VAR. But when VAR gets drawn into it, it usually provides a good decision and it's refreshingly healthy to know that refereeing errors are much less influential in the game.

The dreaded "we're going to get 3432354 penalties every game!" effect was real in the first weeks of the season, but the number of penalties has gone down to more normal levels since - whether that's players or referees adjusting I don't know, though. Probably a bit of both.

Despite originally being against VAR when it was first announced i'm now all for it. Thought the decisions last night were spot on and added a ton of drama to an already brilliant game. The world cup was a huge success partly down to it and something which England benefited from which over the years we would have missed out on. The levels of shithousery that goes on will reduce and more correct decisions should only be a good thing for the game.

I am, perhaps optimistically, hopeful that it removes the obvious bias officials have toward the big 5 or 6 clubs.  They seem to get more decisions which the rest of the division doesn’t get.