Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You all seem to be assuming that I mean it can be exploited by the team winning.

It can't be exploited by either team, only the officials on the pitch in conjunction with those in front of the screen can bring the use of VARS.

Not sure what your point is really in regard to delaying the game, for the gain of whatever team that might be.

Same reason players on the leading side will feign injury, to interrupt the flow and reduce the pressure. You've never seen a game where the losing side are hammering the oppositon, but then they have a long injury and the game just fizzles out?

As for who can abuse it, I'm pretty sure those paying for the service will be able to do whatever they like.

You all seem to be assuming that I mean it can be exploited by the team winning.

It can't be exploited by either team, only the officials on the pitch in conjunction with those in front of the screen can bring the use of VARS.

Not sure what your point is really in regard to delaying the game, for the gain of whatever team that might be.

Same reason players on the leading side will feign injury, to interrupt the flow and reduce the pressure. You've never seen a game where the losing side are hammering the oppositon, but then they have a long injury and the game just fizzles out?

As for who can abuse it, I'm pretty sure those paying for the service will be able to do whatever they like.

I’m pretty sure you don’t have a clue what VAR is

The players have no say when VAR is used.  :lol:

If anything, this will prevent big clubs getting decisions. The refs will have nowhere to hide when they are looking at a video of the incident.

5 mins to go leading team being bombarded, balls into the box, bit of a shirt tug, ball to hand, slightest touch on an attacker in the box, there are many ways VAR could end a game five minutes early.

The players have no say when VAR is used.  :lol:

If anything, this will prevent big clubs getting decisions. The refs will have nowhere to hide when they are looking at a video of the incident.

I didn't say players could. Pay attention. My whole point is that it provides the opportunity to take everything out of the players hands.

5 mins to go leading team being bombarded, balls into the box, bit of a shirt tug, ball to hand, slightest touch on an attacker in the box, there are many ways VAR could end a game five minutes early.

The game is only stopped if the VAR team think the wrong decision was made or if the ref needs help. Did you watch the World Cup?

The game is only stopped if the VAR team think the wrong decision was made or if the ref needs help. Did you watch the World Cup?

Where have I contradicted this? The point is the VAR team have the ability to stop the game.

Where have I contradicted this? The point is the VAR team have the ability to stop the game.

In the fact that you say players could abuse it. If anything it’s the opposite

Yes, in order to make the correct decision when a mistake is made by the referee

In the fact that you say players could abuse it. If anything it’s the opposite

Quote, or fuck off.

Yes, in order to make the correct decision when a mistake is made by the referee

The VAR team ask the ef to look at something that they have seen, theref does not have to change his mind.

The VAR team ask the ef to look at something that they have seen, theref does not have to change his mind.

And? That will take at most 2 minutes and if the ref doesn’t add the time on then that’s his fault

And? That will take at most 2 minutes and if the ref doesn’t add the time on then that’s his fault

Plus, as we know from the WC, the ref can choose to ignore the VAR team.

OK then, it's totally non-corruptible by the powers that be.

No more susceptible to corruption than refs being paid to do betting scams, with the exception that the world is literally watching how these decisions would be given compared to it normally only being the ref knowing why. This meaning VAR would be harder to use for corruption than the situation preceding VAR.

No more susceptible to corruption than refs being paid to do betting scams, with the exception that the world is literally watching how these decisions would be given compared to it normally only being the ref knowing why. This meaning VAR would be harder to use for corruption than the situation preceding VAR.

Except I'm talking about the FA/SKY using it to give an advantage to the top teams. But like I say, the powers that be would never do such a thing.

Except I'm talking about the FA/SKY using it to give an advantage to the top teams. But like I say, the powers that be would never do such a thing.

How? You keep saying this, but you also keep not saying how they would use VAR to do this. If you're thinking they'll use VAR to stop the game to review incidents in added time when a big team is leading, the only thing that will do is review the incident VAR wants to review. Compared to using subs to waste time, the time VAR stops the game gets added on. If it doesn't, there'll be an uproar. The added time at the WC showed that VAR actually helped getting a more realistic amount of added time.

It's really fucking simple.

Currently, if a team is winning by a single goal, but looking likely to concede because the opposition are dominating ("It's only a matter of time, surely"), then feigning injury is a commonly applied tactic, with the intention of taking the sting out of the game.

But as I have said The FA/SkY would not entertain the idea of using anything to afford the top teams an advantage, so it doesn't matter.

It's really f***ing simple.

Currently, if a team is winning by a single goal, but looking likely to concede because the opposition are dominating ("It's only a matter of time, surely"), then feigning injury is a commonly applied tactic, with the intention of taking the sting out of the game.

But as I have said The FA/SkY would not entertain the idea of using anything to afford the top teams an advantage, so it doesn't matter.

This sort of change would need to be implemented at FIFA level.  I've been saying for years that the rules of the game need updating.  Almost every other team sport reviews it's rules to keep pace with tactical developments, so why not football?

If I were King FIFA, my new rules would include:

1) 30 mins per half with clock stopped every time play stops - would completely eliminate time wasting overnight.

2) Scrap offsides completely - goalhanging (the reason offsides were brought in) was an archaic issue and won't be an issue in the modern game due to the need for all players to be involved in all phases of the game.  Would also open up more space on the pitch and get rid of contentious offside decisions completely.

3) Get rid of the penalty box.  Take a free kick from the point of foul instead - currently a penalty kick is way too valuable and leads to players preferring to take a tumble rather than try and shoot.  Also means that defending as an art is dying.

4) Goal line tech in all professional games.

5) TV Officials in all televised games.  Rather than VAR, have an official to give advice on all requested decisions.

6) Red card for simulation.  Simulation includes exaggerating contact - would encourage players to play the game and combined with TV officials, should all but eliminate diving.

However, the game flat refuses to evolve, and the fact that goal line technology took an age to bring in and VAR is somehow being implemented badly gives me no hope of change.  As a result, games will be one long diving fest, with timewasting, simulation and dodgy penalties continuing to win the day.